“Wonderful region... Hotel just ok.”

Auberge Du Lac Taureau
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful region... Hotel just ok.”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed three days to know the region. It's a beautiful place, quiet and peaceful. The Hotel was correct, but by being 4 stars I was a little disappointed. I think the Hotel is overrated. The staff were great and the bedroom was good, but the bathroom was dated and slightly fetid. The servers in the restaurant were very friendly.
Five stars: The dinner. Very nice restaurant with a great view, a relaxing music and a really good food.
Zero stars: The pool. Was dirty and the water cold although was a large one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Montreal
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had stayed there for 2 days a couple of years ago during winter and we had been very happy about our stay. We had booked a 2 bedroom condo with kitchen so we hadn't tried the food. We had also very much enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi and spa services.

It was an easy decision to go back when we needed a weekend away from the city once again. We booked the same type of condo this time around and we looking forward to our weekend.

It just wasn't the same. The condo we were given this time was on the ground floor so that people walking around the Inn would constantly pass by our windows and patio door. It just didn't feel as remote as the first time. The condo itself felt a little "faded" as if it's better days were left behind. The spa was completely booked (we should have reserved in advance... but then again, they should keep some availability for hotel guests), the pool and jacuzzi were always in use, the desk service was average. Again, it just wasn't the same.

So all in all, still a pretty decent, but expensive place. I'm sure our review is a little harsh just because we had liked it so much the first time. But that being said, next time we'll try another place.

Room Tip: Do not get a condo on the ground floor as you will have passers-by walking in front of your windows...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
LEYLAND Lancs
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a 2 week tour of Ontario and Quebec. The area is beautiful and peaceful. We welcomed the chance to walk along the beaches and forest paths away from hustle and bustle. Our room in La Pinede was very well-appointed, clean and comfortable. The resort was not at all busy and few sounds were heard in the building. Free wi-fi was available. The swimming pool was excellent-large and warm. We used the indoor pool, which was virtually empty, but the outdoor pools were still open.We ate in the restaurant on one night, enjoying the food which was well-presented and cooked. However, it was the most expensive meal of out trip! ($115 for 2 not including drinks.)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oli51
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights. We had condos in the Pinede. Rooms were very nice, well equipped and the view is spectacular. Hiking was great as was the kayaking.
Food: Just don't do it. I really mean it. Read the other reviews. Snack bar was awful. Dinner was worse with bad food taking three hours to complete. Service was terrible and slow. Waiter was disinterested and rude.
To top it off you're paying a premium for a "gastronomic" experience.
Bull*#%. OK wedding hall food at best.
Cook in your room or go into town.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank namealreadytaken2010
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I celebrated my birthday with my friends at this establishment. We had a breathtaking view of the Lake Taureau, the condos were clean, nothing to complain, the staff was helpful, the dinner was great, lots of activities to do on the site.

The establishment is surrounded by a colorful landscape of the typical Canadian’ autumn.

I suggest to everyone to go there once in a lifetime, it’s a must!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Purchase my two nights at the hotel through Tuango (website for deals). Never had the chance to go at this place but wanted to for a long time. Was not disapointed.

The site is incredible. There's a lot of beaches around the hotel and walking trails. You feel alone in the world and the view is incredible.

The hotel is very comfy and clean. My room was a bit small but I don't complain since I know there's different range of room depending of the price you wish to pay.... I sleep very well. Because of far location in the wood (and mostly phone supplier with Rogers), I didn't have any cellular coverage in my room or in the Auberge. Didn't have any wi-fi either in my room but it was possible to go near the reception to be able to take e-mails.

The food was great (breakfast and supper). There's two restaurants (one more expensive and the other with regular pricing). We tried both. The supper (and Paul's service) was great at the more expensive restaurant. Nice choice of menu. I'm still dreaming about the "carre de biche" (square doe?). We also had supper at the bistro-bar and the lasagna was succulent. As for breakfast, the choice of food was very impressive. Ate very well.

It was a rainy week-end so we went at the pool. My only complaint would be that around the pool, there's only three long chairs and they are VERY hard on the butt.... They don't want us to stay to long around the pool!!!!

I'm looking to come back with my children next time. I would like them to live the experience. Absolutely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OnlyMe48
Quebec
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had some trouble booking this place. They said no availibility when I wanted, but online it said avaiable. I call back and they said they where in shift change to call later. I call later and they said all is booked! I check for another date which is available online, then call them. Too busy will call me back. Never called back. I callded next day, all is booked! So I email the manager and he booked us for another date and gave us an upgraded room. How to say this... Good and Bad! The room was amazing, never had something like that. But I am now used to this room! When I called back to book another trip, this room is an extra 200$ something per night compared to regular room!!! Guess I was lucky to get that room.
The place is superb itself. Lost in the middle of nowhere, very quiet. The structure or the buildings are all in wood and very nice to look at. Plenty of space on the beach and chairs everywhere so you can sit quietly. You can use some canoe, kayak or rent SeaDoo or Pontons. They say you can have plane tours, but they need to book 10 people and there is no waiting list! The pool is quite old and would need some repairs. The spa is always full, whish there would be another one outside!
We tried the breakfast buffet. Wow! Everything is freshly made (jam made every day!). They try to use all local produce. Plenty of choice.
The 1st night we tried the resto-bar. We had a nice burger which was quite decent price.

Will go there couple more times for sure. But if you can upgrade from the standard forester room, do it!

ALso, when booking, the website is quite weird, you don't really know whats included or not. The way it is made, you think the breakfast is always inlded which is not. Some prices are for the night (room) others are per person. You should call to confirm what is included.
Also if you need more info on the room (fridge or other) select dates, select the room and expand to get more details! You will find all you need there!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are usually better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gite des Hauteurs et Cafe de la place
Gite du Lac Taureau
Gite du Lac Taureau
#3 of 5 in Saint Michel des Saints

Been to Auberge Du Lac Taureau? Share your experiences!