“WAIT IN LINE FOR ONE HOUR, EVEN WITH RESERVATION”

Sucrerie De la Montagne Inc
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Rigaud
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our sugar shack, la Sucrerie de la Montagne, has as a mission to make you discover Quebec's traditions; a traditional menu awaits you which included : homemade bread, ham, sausage, meat pie, pancakes with maple syrup and maple taffy on snow. We have singer-musicians who will entertain the halls in our sugar bush.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I do not recommend this place. I've been here three times now and I won't be going back. The entry process is chaotic, unfair and very long. What's worse is that it's been like this for years and the owner just doesn't care. You wait in a fairly long line for your tickets. It takes some people forever at the ticket window and I really have no idea why. Then you go to an even longer line to wait to get into the restaurant. And you wait in that line even if you have reservations, alongside people who have no reservations. However, every once in a while a group of people will push their way to the front and they will be let in ahead of everyone, including those with reservations. Then you have the people who push their way to the front, then push their way to the back, then push their way to the front again and then, you guessed it, push their way to the back. Ugh! You'll probably wait a minimum of one hour in the two lines, maybe a bit more. Once inside you'll be escorted to one of the picnic-like tables set up in the halls. Unless you're a party of 8-10 people you'll share the picnic table with other people. That isn't too bad really. What's worse is that the picnic tables are squeezed together so tight that if you need to get up to use the washroom, for example, you're going to be bumping people on the table behind you and at your table as you squeeze through the two. The food isn't any better or worse than at other cabane a sucre. The service is okay. They're so busy that you won't get perfect service but it is definitely friendly service so that's why I give it an okay overall. The ambiance can either be described as very noisy, if you don't like it, or 'alive' if you do like it. Personally I liked it, I think it is part of the cabane a sucre atmosphere. The price is very high. Way too high!

Personally, I don't think the long wait in line is worth it. I'm going somewhere else next year. I've also had it with making reservations every year only to have to wait in line while others get advanced to the front for absolutely no reason.

5  Thank FrenchRok
There are newer reviews for Sucrerie De la Montagne Inc

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had to wait for ticket even though we made a reservation, then had to wait in line again in for restaurant. Had a band playing at lunch so loud that you could not hear anyone. Tables so squished you could not move. We were stuck in middle as a family so they fed the 2 other groups on each side of us and forgot about us. Could not get out of the building easily since all tables too close. Over priced at 28.00 a person and not worth it food wise. All in all you had 5 people come out of there totally frustrated!

4  Thank ClLet
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Read the poor reviews on Tripadvisor and decided to check it out anyway. We did Reserve for the 3 pm sitting. Not sure why we bothered. 1:30 p.m. we arrived. People were complaining about the line ups for the tickets-even with a reservation. What they should explain online (where they recommend you reserve!) even though you have a reservation, you still have to purchase the "ticket" before your reservation is acknowledged. By reserving, It does not reserve the "ticket". Once you purchase the "ticket" you can then present it at the restaurant and you will be seated before any one who did not reserve. We decided not to wait in line to purchase the ticket. Just walked around instead. Which makes it just another sugar bush experience.

1  Thank Vacationhugger
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place makes you reserve only to make you stand in line for tickets once you arrive. When I went, I stood in line for 30 minutes with at least 30 people in front of me and the line didn't budge. I ended up leaving. So then what's the point of a reservation if everyone with a 1:00 reservation doesn't get to eat until 3:00. And do you really want people who are 2 hours overdue for a meal on your property? So terribly run! Don't waste your time!

We ended up going back at night since we had driven all the way there for this stupid place anyway. We paid $75 for two people and the food was terrible. It was only edible with lots of maple syrup all over it. We also asked for coffee as soon as we sat down and it only arrived midway through the second course.

4  Thank caffinate
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My family and I visited this place On March 2 2013... I must say that the ambiance is just beautiful as is the erea. A sugar shack secluded out in the woods, very rustic looking, very nice inside out.

First off they are way over priced, 32$ per person and the portions were extremley small. We asked for more and the 2nd time around the portions were 1/2 the portions from the first ones. We were 8 and the first plate of meats consisted of 6 sausages and 8 mini sized pre-cut ham, so you can imagine the portion of the second plate. The eggs were enough for only 4 people, in other words we are not big eaters but had to request seconds and thirds every 10 min, in which at one point or another it became embarasing.
I was not impressed with their menu compared to other places...ex: mashed patatoes is a 'no' 'no' for me, and NO bacon, fatty sausages..in other words I did not like the food except for their pea soup!!!!
They advertised a horse buggy ride in which we did not get. The buggy ride was a 2 min ride from the parking (picked-up) to the Shack.
Over all I would not go back to this place as there are others with a better value and much better food..

4  Thank anxioustobe