“As always , just wonderful”

Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
London Ontario
“As always , just wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

Just returned from two nights at Montebello. Our room was lovely. Just redone with some nice updates. Very lodge-like feel to the whole place. That is part of the charm. Very remote location.
We went to the spa., fabulous!!!! Had Isabel for a treatment and loved every minute of it. Very relaxing. My second trip to the spa and just as wonderful as I remember it. If you like to "spa"...be sure not to miss this one. I get the feeling the speciality here is Body treatments.
I thought the food was great. Breakfast buffet was great with some very nice Quebec touches. Do not miss the maple syrup Quebec crepes. We ate in the dinning room and it was wonderful, service was fabulous. My portion was large, had the four course tableau. I thought the food was wonderful with a nice french flair.
We think Montebello is wonderful....a very unique property. While we were there, James Denton (Plumber on Desperate Housewives) was on location filming a movie. I also get the pleasure of meeting him which made the whole trip that much more fabulous.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank triplemom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for one night for business. Very impressed with the beautiful setting and grounds right on the river. The hotel is obviously old as and has some character. The items in your room that you need upgraded...........are. Superb beds with a very large room. Flat screen t.v. as the rooms are very large or the one I stayed in was. Had a great view on the 3rd floor overlooking the grounds; pool and a little bit of the river. The floor creeks a bit when walking but no big deal. Food was terrific........no complaints here. Never golfed but drove through the golf course and looks fantastic. Would have been nice to be their for a couple of more days for personal time.

If I had an opportunity definately would go back, but be prepared as the prices are not exactly cheap although not out of this world.
There is a small marina also right beside the hotel. Great place, great service and very relaxing.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank okop
Guelph, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2007

I was very excited at the thought of staying at the largest log buiding hotel and was looking forward to it. It proved to be disappointing in some ways such as: price of the meals - quality /taste/portions did not match the prices. The buildings are needing some repair - carpets worn - no fans in the bathrooms.Upon entering the room there was a very strong smell of baby powder, when that wore off you could smell mould. It was worse in the bathroom because there was no exhaust fan.I guess thats why thhey used a lot of baby powder to cover the odour of mould.This place is definatly over rated! I don't mind paying a good buck, but the food etc should match the price.
The rooms were neat and clean, staff efficient and friendly.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank tiaguelph
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

I was there for one night. We had a fixed dinner meal with a group. I am veg and when I asked what the veg meal was the server grabbed my menu and left. She didn't say anything, she just took off with my menu. I ended up with some sort of rice with veggies but the meal was sub par. The room walls were paper thin, I could hear the person in the next room. Best of all I could hear the alarm going off in down the hall at 3 am. I understand that travellers get up at odd times but there was nobody in that room and it buzzed until somone called it in. Everything was creaky, floors beds, halls, chairs. Bathroom was very tiny and the water drained very slowly when I had a shower. Nothing like sloshng in calf hight water trying to shower. The buffet breakfast the next morning was tasty with lots of fresh fruits and crepes.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Lederfrau
Ayton, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2007

This hotel is nice, however, a little tired and could use a little TLC. The carpets are worn & the wood stain is chipped. The hotel should really be rated as no more than a 4 star and the food a 3 star level at best. The ice sculptures outside were magnificent.
The staff was quite friendly, especially the evening hostess in the Bistro. She has an excellent sense of humour & was a delight to be around.
There is no end to activities available at this hotel. We went for a dog sled ride and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cost was $30.00 per person for a 20 minute ride. Well worth it.

• Liked — lobby area
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank hlr45
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

My friend and I booked a girl's spa get-away at the hotel. We took the spa package that included dinner and brunch and a credit towards spa treatments.

The hotel room was ok, in need of renovation but passable even though it was not what I'm used to at a 5-star hotel. I figured that this was rustic charm so I should jut 'go with the flow'. Then I saw the bathroom which was not at all adequate for a 5-star hotel; it was tiny, outfitted with ancient fixtures completely unappealing. I find that little details like the kind of toiletries are available speak volumes about a hotel. In this case, they were not impressive. To be honest, the room and bathroom felt kind of dingy and more representative of an old B+B than a Fairmont Hotel. I honestly have no idea why this place is as booked as it is The crowd was definitely older and it was packed with families.

Then there's the food. Over priced and not that great. In fact, quite the food was quite mediocre though the service was delightful.

I'd have to give the same rating to the spa. The treatment rooms feature electonic beds that are outitted with real duvets ( which are not in the hotel rooms), a nice touch indeed. I loved the decor but the treatments were sadly underwhelming. I had a facial which for some bizarre reason does not include extraction and was ok, but not great and certainly not worth the 100$ they charge. My friend had a reflexology treatment which was not impressive. We also had the Montebello pedicure. It was fine other than the fact that both of our aesthiticians did a crappy job applying our polish. If only the staff at the spa were as competent as they are friendly. It would then be a perfect place.

All this to say, save your hard-earned money. If you want to be pampered, go somewhere else. I'd say this was 3-star at best and would be perfectly adequate if the prices reflected the true-value of the place.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank mikosito
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#2 of 5 in Montebello
Hotel Lac Carling
Hotel Lac Carling
#2 of 2 in Grenville-sur-la-Rouge

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!