“Golf plus Dinner par excellence”

Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
Ottawa, Canada
“Golf plus Dinner par excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had the pleasure of lunch golf and dinner at this fabulous location. The staff were fantastic at both the hotel and the tricky but beautufully scenic golf course. The food at the course and at the restaurant was excellent and with good choices available including gluten free and vegetarian menus. Didn't want to leave.

• Stayed June 2013
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you Michael0746 for your kind words...

I will pass on your comments to our team with pleasure! The beggining of the year was not too encouraging for our golf course but it now looks pretty good so we are thrilled that you enjoyed it!

We hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again!

Geneviève

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Damascus, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was more of a 'grand dame' hotel of the 1930's. It was designed like the great log hotels of the western USA national parks. It was rustic but elegant. It had all the amenities including a golden retriever who like to walk with guests. Be aware that the indoor swimming pool is more for adults than kids It is huge and deep with no kiddie pool attached. The outdoor pool wasn't open when we were there. It did have radio cars, mini golf, B-Ball, Bikes, etc for kids. There was also a kids menu and the Bistro area was hospitable to kids with TV's and pool tables. The adults loved it, but the 8 year old was a little overwhelmed by the adult atmosphere. The staff was fantastic, good with kids, and so helpful.

Room Tip: Montebello is a long way from Toronto, but fairly close to Ottawa, so plan accordingly. It sits rig...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you Carolyn for your review! We are always very appreciative when our guests take the time to let us know about their stay.

Hope to see you soon!

Laurel, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed with my 20 month old son and we had a wonderful time. Lots to do in the immediate area. Great care if most details. Food the first night was good but second night was amazing! Overall this is a fantastic spot for a family trip for kids of all ages. Look into part omega near by as well.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear CLemyre,

Thank you for your lovely review! I am glad that you had a great stay with your 20 months old. We look forward seing all of you soon!

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

stayed here for 2 days as guests of friends we were travelling with and was absolutely stunned with the beauty of the hotel and surroundings. the service was excellent, the rooms extremely comfortable and the restaurant was a delight for both evening meals and breakfasts.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you Judith W for your kind review! I will share with our employees and we look forward to hopefully welcom you back at the Château!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends while we were in Montebello for the Rockfest and it was perfect. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but it's a Fairmont and you pay for what you get. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful. The hotel is an attraction in itself with it's beautiful lobby. The service is amazing and the employees are very friendly. The beds are super comfortable. I will be staying here every year.

PS: You have to try the maple syrup crepes at the breakfast buffet, they're to die for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jim M
Jim M, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay during the Rockfest! What a great week-end it was!

I can affirn that the Maple crepes are indeed a must, best kept secret!

Hope to see you at the next Rockfest?

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Where to start.. I stayed at this hotel a few years back and loved it. We decided to go back for our anniversary last weekend and couldn't believe how the quality, upkeep, service and grounds degraded to a motel standard. The rooms were smelly and muggy. The bathrooms were dirty. The water in the outdoor pool was green with algae. The service at the igloo bar was horrible. It took 45 minutes to get our food. Our stay in the indoor hot tub was cut short by a toddler in a dirty diaper that decided he would play in the jacuzzi. The staff never did anything about that either. I feel so ripped off! Never again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marquis590
Dear Marquis590,

I appreciate your honest feedback regarding your stay. I take good note of your comments. I simply want to point out that we opened our outdoor pool last weekend, and the water was indeed ''greenish'' as we had just opened it and unfortunately this year it took an additional day before the water was crystal clear, but we did the tests and the quality was alright. Since it was a warm and sunny day, we decided to open it anyways as it was not a danger and guests preferred to be outside.

For the kid in diaper, the only diaper aloud in the pool is a swimming diaper, designed especially for kids to swim while ensuring other guests ''safety''. I am sorry that this bothered you.

We are also in the middle of renovations that started last week in our main dining room and we now have a new carpet and new chairs, and we proceed like that to all parts of the hotel on a cycle. Some areas would indeed need some refresh and we will eventually get to those areas.

Thank you again for your comments which are always appreciated.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'll start by saying; We managed to book a golf and stay deal under $200 and for that I think it's worth it.
We arrived at the hotel around 10am...The entrance/lobby is beautiful! Our tee time needed to be re-scheduled due to rain. The reception was very friendly and managed to get a room ready for us within 30 minutes of arrival.
Walking to the room was interesting. The floors creeked and the stairs were somewhat soft/loose. We felt like we were in a very old cabin... Thats what we expected.
Our room was VERY basic. The room was clean, cracks in the cieling and some of the posts seemed loose on the cieling. The bathroom small and outdated. The shower head did not stay up on it's own, which was challenging- but for 1 night it was fine.
We played golf- the course was beautiful, but in rough shape due to the weather... The pro shop was great and very accomadating! They allowed us to push our tee time back a few times...
The restaurant (formal dining room) was nice- lots of charm BUT our server was not very good. We ordered a 4 course menu. My husband was given 2 wrong items out of the 4 courses. His appetizer and Main. He is not a picky person, so he just ate what he was given, but we were dissapointed the restaurant at the Fairmont failed to get the order right. My main was horrible.. I ate two bites... the server ask me if it was ok and I said I didn;t enjoy it and he offered to make another one or replace it. I refused the offer but was still charged full price. I guess thats expected... I was dissapointed with the meal... for a $250 dinner I expect great service and even better food... maybe it was an off night.
All in all, for the price, we would stay and play again, but maybe go down the street for a poutine for dinner. I will not return to the restaurant.

The hotel has a Dog, MONTY that is the Ambassador.. he is super friendly and cute. It was nice to see him there hangin out with guests!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Joan12341 for your feedback!

I appreciate your comments and as we take pride in ensuring we deliver outstanding service to all of our guests, I would sincerely hope you could provide me with further information. As I do not have your full name, if you could let me know your last name and date of stay so I can do further research on the server and do proper follow-up on our side. It is very important that with such concrete feedback we can use it to rectify the service. I would also like to follow-up on the shower issue and I can see your room number on your folio as well. You can write me at genevieve.dumas@fairmont.com.

We do have an older hotel with a lot of charm, uniqueness, and due to the very specific log structure, it is almost impossible to enlarge bathrooms or change the shape, but we can however ensure all is working in proper order so thank you for the feedback!

Sincerely, Geneviève
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#2 of 5 in Montebello
Hotel Lac Carling
Hotel Lac Carling
#2 of 2 in Grenville-sur-la-Rouge

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!