“Beautiful setting, good food, sour ending” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello

Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful setting, good food, sour ending”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our second time staying at Montebello, the last over a decade ago, and we had a very nice time. It is a beautiful place, with excellent service in a majestic setting. Our annoyance was with all the little extra charges and they way the “room packages” were not properly explained when we made the reservations. Plus the checkout experience was in very poor taste for a hotel of this nature and we ended on a sour note.

For one, charging a daily parking fee when families are paying $300/room is outrageous; just include it in the room price. Secondly internet should be free; we had two rooms and paid over $50 for internet access! Then to come home and have read on trip advisor we could have joined the Fairmont Club and gotten it for free was quite upsetting!!!

When you reserve you are encouraged to take a room package which includes meals. The meals included in the package are really the expensive buffets and ordering a la carte or eating in the pub downstairs or eating out in the little Montebello village may be a better option for families. Plus the buffets are just ordinary food, nothing special. We have had nicer buffet breakfasts at B&Bs in Montréal and they didn’t cost $25 a person! We selected the Hotel Table for dinner; it was of very high quality and wonderful. Plus the wait staff boxed our leftovers up with a smile!

The spoiler was when we got our bill, which was huge; there were what looked to be extra charges in French. It wasn’t easy to deduct but after close examination we discovered they were charges from the restaurant!!!! We had been charged twice for the meals - in the room package and then from the restaurant!!!!!

The desk clerk quickly fixed it but without any apology. Then the kicker was when she asked if we were staying on for the day, and when we replied yes, she said something along the line “Oh good, so you can spend more!” A funny look came across her face and she mumbled something odd. It just left a sour note to our experience.

I think we will return in the future, but we will stay in the village, and just pay the day fee to visit the grounds and relax in the lodge, and perhaps enjoy a meal, a la carte.

Room Tip: Examine your final bill carefully!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elizabeth2013_13
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you Elizabeth2013_13 for your valued feedback. We take our customer service to heart and I do take good note of your comments.

We do have a great program with Fairmont President's Club and it does indeed provide Complimentary Internet. It also gives the opportunity to hotel teams to know more about our guest's preferences to be able to better cater their needs. For example, room location, preferred meals, special occasions, etc. so I encourage all Fairmont guests to register!

I appreciate your comments about our meal packages. It is a formula that many loves, but I can easily understand that it might not be the best option for all of our guests, as you mention there are other options. I will pass your comments to our reservation team.

For parking, I can understand your point, and it is for us a way to ensure that our 3500 acres of land right on property are always kept in great condition and that we can offer that to our guests and visitors.

I certainly hope that those points will not overcome the great memories you have about our property and hope to see you again!

Sincerely, Geneviève

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me begin by saying that this is not the same resort experience from a few years back. Fairmont has spent money updating and accomodating guests at this resort and in my opinion, it has well paid off.
We were warmly greeted with our room ready and waiting for us prior to check-in time and were thus free to spend the afternoon cross-country skiing. The attendants at the sports shack were wonderful at fitting our family and sending us on the most family-appropriate trail. The day was beautiful and we encountered other guests enjoying a sleigh ride through the woods.
We were always warmly and courteously greeted by everyone who worked at the Château with a smile. This rang true when even guest services arrived to our door when my husband forgot his workout gear and we made use of the complimentary workout attire for President Club members.

Even though we first thought the $15 ($12.50 child) lift ticket price for the snow tube experience seemed a little pricey for the size of the hill, we soon discovered that it was well worth its price. The staff member working the line at the top of the hill would go out of his way to make every child and parent experience as much fun as they could with spins and jokes each time he greeted us. After a brief lunch and hot chocolate, we headed back for the afternoon of more snow tubing and exhilerating rides down the hilll. It was such a pleasure to experience this as a family and to be outside enjoying the day during cold February day.

They catered to families and children at every opportunity. From movie nights for the kiddies while the grown-ups enjoyed a drink by the cozy fireplace, to plenty of available board games for families as well as attention to details such as children's robes to get to the pool through their newly renovated corridor, the staff always outdid our expectations and took great pride in making the winter getaway experience as memorable as possible. The only disadvantage was the variety of restaurants/food options. At this time of year, there is really only one dining hall and Bistro bar, which were not always the best possible option when all we wanted to do was grab a quick sandwich and head back outdoors. Apparently this is not as much of an issue during the summer months of BBQ's and available picnic areas.
We spent our last morning taking Monte, the hotel's golden retriever for a leisurely walk around the grounds, which was a lovely way to be outdoors and enjoy the joys of having a loving, child-friendly pet for a brief time. Our daughter spent the entire ride home talking about Monte.
I sincerely hope that Fairmont is aware of the staff's exceptional attention to its guests and will continue to accomodate families in such an outstanding manner.
Needless to say, we were all very saddenend to leave this special place and we hope to return during the summer months to experience more of this resorts' family activities.

Room Tip: The riverview rooms had lovely sunshine to warm up the room during the afternoon and were worth the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you getawayseeker3 for your valued feedback! I am so glad that our repeat guests notice all the attention we are working so hard to put in our property and our services! We have a lot more renovations coming up, so I am very eager to show it all to our guests.

When we think about the services we want our guests to experience, it is exactly how you have described it so I am delighted that you have all enjoyed it. I am also Monte's owner (well, second owner, as the hotel is in fact the owner!) so I am thrilled when I read he made our guests happy!

I will share your wonderful kind words with all of our team, and thank you for sharing!

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Another great experience at Fairmont hotels. During my trip to Canada and Quebec this was another very good choise with very clean room, great service and good breakfast.
During the stay I had the opportunity to visit the Montebello Omega park in the very close surrounding and had also the chance for a great Land Rover driving training within the Land Rover Driving Center hosted in the hotel park. I do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear lp_always,

I love to read comments about our International visitors! We are so proud of our product and all that Montebello has to offer, that we want the entire world to see it! Parc Omega is by itself in my sense one of the best kept secret in the world! Landrover driving experience is also one of the greatest experience, so I am glad you have enjoyed it.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, and we certainly hope that you will come back to Quebec and the Chateau Montebello!

Newmarket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Chateau for the past seven years for the Canadian Ski Marathon. I have been very impressed each time by the attention to detail, the quality of the meals, and the beauty of the buildings and surrounding countryside. It is magical, and I highly recommend this hotel to all those who desire comfort in a beautiful setting, and the opportunity to take advantage of the many activities e.g. skiing, dog sledding, curling, etc. Mont Tremblant is close by.
Relaxing by the huge hexagonal fireplace is a delight.
We stayed in a deluxe suite which was very comfortable. The bathrooms are small, but functional. The meals are excellent, and not to be missed are the crepes served with maple syrup and butter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear CPeniston,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Ski Marathon week end at the Fairmont Château Montebello! Wasn't it particularly exceptional this year? The temperature and the trails were in perfect conditions. We, at the hotel, always love that special week-end. It is magical!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Sincerely, Geneviève Dumas
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Even if you do not have the time to spend the night in this fabulous hotel, stop in for the BUFFET lunch, not just a wee sandwich and a bowl of soup in the village. It will end up costing a wee bit more, but you will miss a wonderful scene just going through the hotel to the stone porch where the buffet is served. En route, you will feel like you are in a movie set somewhere in "BIG SKY" country. Start at the far end of the buffet where there is an array of desserts ALL OF WHICH you just KNOW you will HAVE to sample, and judge how much of the salad bar and soup with crunchy bread you can enjoy before your sweet-tooth takes command of your brain. You will be smiling months later. The concierge will validate your parking ticket if you have the buffet, so do not let the gated parking lot discourage you ; the fee will be waived if you ask to have the ticket stamped on the way IN the door. The memory of this elegant experience will cheer you up all the rest of the year as you warm up your soup in the microwave at work ! SPLURGE! YOU HAVE EARNED IT!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear scottishvermonter, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your lunch experience during your short trip with us, and we certainly hope that next time you will have more time to experience all that Montebello and the Château has to offer! With some great offers on the Fairmont web sites, you sure don't have to win the lottery to spend a day or two!

We always truly appreciate when guests let us know about their stay with us. Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

You know it is winter when it is -20C and there is fresh snow on the ground, but when you enter this historic log structure there is nothing but warmth coming from all of the staff you will meet.
The efficiency that my various bags and parcels were moved from my car to my room and the friendly greeting at the front desk were a sign that this would be a great place to spend the weekend. I was here for a wedding and quickly was informed of all the activities surrounding the nuptials that included a dog sled ride ! There is also a pool, a workout room and a spa !The size of the central room with its multi-faced fireplace was enourmous, but when you sat down and relaxed in one of the many chairs or couches you could feel the intamacy of the place. The surrounding balconies also provided seating for reading or playing cards or other board games. My room was referred to as a suite and while it was larger than the other rooms it still fit the criteria of a larger room not, in my view, a suite. But, you could not beat the veiw from the many windows of the room looking at the river - yes frozen over, but still a beautiful sight. Weddings can sometimes be complex events and when there is a snowstorm shutting down most of the airports in Eastern Canada and the US they can become a little more complex. The hotel staff were more than up to the task though of ensuring that everything went well so that the Bride and Groom and all of the wedding party and guests enjoyed their time together. This is a great place to get married and the hotel knows how to ensure everything is done right!
I will return, more likely in the summer next time as there is a golf course there that should be fun to play !!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a river view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Garebear for your feedback!

It is very rewarding to read on how our employees made a stay more memorable for our guests, and I will share your feedback proudly with my team!

And you are right, Summers here are as wonderful as our Winters, offering a totally different aray of activities. So we look forward welcoming you again to experience our fantastic Summer activities!

Orleans, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I chose a B&B Offer at the Chateau Montebello for a romantic getaway after the Christmas Holidays for my husband and myself, and we were pleasantly surprised by its grandeur and coziness. It was a mild winter day so we spent the morning at the nearby Park Omega, which is not to be missed (open all year to view wild animals in this protected park).
We then checked-in to the Chateau Montebello on the last day that their decorations were still up; it was magical and added that little extra to our stay; on arrival, we spent some time in the lounge with its huge welcoming fireplace and Monte, the resident Golden Retriever.
The staff throughout this property, from check-in to check-out, made everything seem effortless; the room and especially the bed, was extremely comfortable, and this wasn't even in the high-end rooms! Tea and coffee facilities in the room as well as a small fridge made it convenient for those in-between meal snacks.
The dinner was probably the most memorable; our Maitre d' managed to fulfill our wish for Chateaubriand for two, with all of the trimmings; the wine list is several pages long and the dessert offerings ample; the setting of the part of the dining room in use that evening overlooked the snowed-in garden and was a gastronomic experience, as was the breakfast buffet the following morning, complete with hot Quebec maple syrup for those pancake breakfasts...
After our return home, I had occasion to contact the hotel with a retroactive loyalty plan question and was served by a most efficient front desk agent, to my complete satisfaction.
We will definitely return to the Chateau Montebello in another season...to complete the experience!

Room Tip: Wide range of seasonal prices worth looking into on the Fairmont Montebello website!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you very much Orleans51 for providing great feedback about your stay with us! I am so pleased to read that our Maitre D' did provide a memorable meal for you with a Chateaubriand! I am also always thrilled to see that my dog Monte has also been able to highlight your stay! He is such a lovely dog...

We hope to see you again at our property, and I will gladly pass along your wonderful comments to our team! It is always a delight to hear that we have been able to ''turn moments into memories'' for our guests.

Sincerely, Geneviève
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#2 of 5 in Montebello
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawkesbury

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!