“Wonderful overnight stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Wonderful overnight stay”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

What a great hotel/complex - my husband and I stayed in a wonderful corner suite and thoroughly enjoyed the 'romantic' package. It came with a relaxation massage in a therapy room for 2, as well, a four-course dinner, breakfast in the dining room and chocolate covered strawberries to boot! The service was exceptional from the check-in staff to the spa staff. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to view a few rooms - we had originally booked a jacuzzi suite however the front desk staff was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Good day Nadinka_12_12

Thank you for your comments. It’s really important for us the have guest feedback. I’m sorry for the lack of attention at the front desk, be assure that I will do a follow-up with the front desk agents to reinforce the importance of guest services.

Cleanliness is really important for us. In a log hotel dust is a real challenge. On a regular basis we do a deeper cleaning.

I’m please to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the grounds. We recommended you to come visit us in winter; it can be so magical with the snow.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I have previously stayed here a few years back for a week or so and enjoyed it a lot. However, this time around the service was rather disappointing. At check-in, it felt like we were bothering the staff, the service was cold (even for the Fairmont President's Club member), no one informed us about the fact that the bbq dinner was closed due to low season even though it as a beautiful summer day. It's disappointing to see such unwelcoming service.
However, the hotel and its grounds are beautiful, well maintained, highly recommend staying at this hotel for a retreat away from the city.
The rooms are cozy and of reasonable size. However, not so clean as we would have liked as the ventilation opening in the bathroom was covered in thick gross layer of dirt/dust, which is surprising to see at a Fairmont.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We come to le Chateau Montebello every year. We keep coming back because we have so much fun. Good food. Great service.

There are fun activities for the entire family, for the kids, for the wives, for the husbands, for everyone: biking, golf, tennis, spa, horse back riding, even a race track for RC cars, ATV rentals and off road driving lessons for SUVs.

• Stayed October 2012
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear martinphamdinh,

I always enjoy reading all comments from our guests and it is a real pleasure for me to see that you had a great stay with us and fun for everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
Ottawa
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was my first visit at the Chateau Montebello and was excited to go as it was boasted about since I was kid. It boasts to have had world leaders stay there and it was built in the 1930's.

The grounds are beautiful and the architecture pretty good in relation to age of the country.
The main lobby boasts a beautiful massive multi sided fireplace in the centre of the foyer.
The log structure is quite impressive if you appreciate architecture but it is starting to show signs of wear and lack of maintenance.

The foyer although being clean has a certain smell that I would relate to smells of old buildings.

My stay here was to be a romantic getaway so I booked their Jaccuzzi Suite. The price was in the range of most hotels that offer Jacuzzi Suites however the Suite hardly compares.
They failed to tell me that the Jacuzzi Suites are situated in the basement of the hotel.
So it felt like I was in, well, in a basement!!
The suite had windows up high on the wall, being a basement but if you left the curtains open for lighting then people walking by outside can easily see in your room.

The room was spacious enough and fairly clean. The issue I had was that we noticed a stain on the edge of the comforter that was either blood or jam. Unfortunately we didn't notice it until we got up in the morning. Suffice it to say we were a little disgusted by it. We didn't have to check out at the reception desk as my credit card was on file but because of our findings I decided to stand in line to inform them of our findings.
When I told the lady at the front desk, I felt as if it wasn't important and her only comment was that she would inform house keeping.
I thought that at the very least they should have apologized for the situation.

A few days later, I used their online feedback form to tell them of my experience and I received an email back saying that they would look into the matter and get back to me within the week to let me know of the results of the actions taken. It has been three weeks so far and have yet to hear back from them.

Regardless of my personal bad experience, I would not recommend this place for a romantic getaway if you want to have a Jacuzzi in your suite.
A suite in the basement is not a suite and for $350 a night, not very sweet!!

3 Thank Love2TravelOttawa
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Love2travelOttawa,

Thank you very much for your valued and constructive feedback. I must say that our Jacuzzi suites are very particular, and mosts of our guests reserve them year after year because they simply love them, however some guests prefers other rooms for the reasons you mentioned, so it is indeed a very specific product. If you prefer a romantic suite with lots of windows, the Signature rooms would be a perfect fit, as they have 3 windows and very spacious, plus they have a view on the Outaouais river.

I take good note of your comments and will share with my management team to ensure that a follow-up is properly done, and I am truly sorry for not living up to our commitment to deliver a memorable experience in all aspects of your stay.

Thank you!
vermont
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is very old, as stated on many reviews. The room was very charming. Really comfy beds. The bathroom was small, as would be expected in a building of this age, but very clean. The TV was small, but the lobby is so inviting that we did not really want to spend time watching TV. The main restaurant was expensive, but the food was well prepared. The grounds were awesome--so beautiful! We would like to go back in winter to try curling and dogsledding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank p169649
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

A luxurious hotel, Chateau Montebello, with its surrounding manicured lawns, gigantic old trees, millions of joyful flowers, outdoor and indoor grand swimming pools, not to mention the indoor layouts of pine wood structure of many levels with a six-sided fireplace the look of which you have never seen!
Our beautiful 4th floor bedroom overlooking the Ottawa River and all of this scenery, was endowed with a magnificent, larger than the largest King Size bed ever, and a walk-in shower.

Room service for my two Canadian breakfasts was a real joy, followed by a leisurely walk to the edge of the Ottawa River to contemplate its beauty, then to the vast indoor pool where we enjoyed a most relaxing swim.

The piano bar, enhanced by Eddie who has been at le Chateau Montebello for 17 years, played lovely renditions of our favourite requests.

The lovely dining-room, where Sylvain, another long-term devoted waiter, presided over an array of choices to tempt the palate of any and all discerning diners.

All in all, a nice little get away.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room at le Chateau Montebello.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have been going to Chateau Montebello for the last twenty years. We stay there at least twice a year. We have always been very happy with the staff, the rooms and their outdoor BBQ in the summer is amazing. I love the feeling of being away, but not being too far from home. Once when we stayed there on our anniversary, I had told the reception desk it was our anniversary, we checked in and took a dip in the outdoor pool, upon returning to our room there was a bottle of sparkling wine and a card signed by the staff. We were so touched. this is why it feels like home. I will gladly go back and I look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at Fairmont le Chateau Montebello. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return.

It is always a pleasure for us to personalize the stay of your guest and to turn moment into memories.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont le Chateau Montebello
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#4 of 5 in Montebello
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawkesbury

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!