“Good bones, hideous decor”
Review of Auberge Montebello

Auberge Montebello
Ranked #4 of 5 Montebello B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I attended a wedding that was being held at the Chateau Montebello. Not wanting to pay the price for a room there, I searched for a hotel in the area and chose this hotel. It is only 2 kms from the Chateau so was a good choice from a location perspective. The hotel is an historic site in the village, the Manoir Quesnel. It is a traditional Victorian structure and built for a wealthy local family. The current décor is hideous verging on a criminal act to the historic nature of the hotel. Everything from the artwork to the furniture is awful. It purports to offer continental breakfast. Coffee/tea, cereal, cheap bread and waffles are available. Even the tea is mediocre quality. There is no server. The front desk clerk periodically drops in to clean up the tables. The rooms are badly decorated in poor quality gold baroque-style. It has bad lighting. The towels are less than standard quality. Small but important things like door handles on sliding door screens need to be fixed or replaced. I was given a room on the first floor which is two levels down from reception. There is no elevator or staff to help with carrying baggage. If your curtains are open, passersby can look straight into your room as level one is on the ground level of the back of the building.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank RLMCT

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My room was not very clean- dead bugs and visible dirt on window ledges; cloth for cleaning eye glasses on the floor presumably from the last guest (which makes me assume the floor hasn't been vacuumed); lampshades stained with spots of dark brown; half used bottle of conditioner in the bathroom.
The pool is completely green and unusable.
I thought because it included breakfast it was a good deal but as previously mentioned, the breakfast is less than mediocre.

The best part is the bed- it is extremely comfortable! But I'm not sure if the same can be said for all the rooms.

My room DEFINITELY does not match the quality seen in the pictures that have been posted of different rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013
8  Thank SrtaADB
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Where to start......We were traveling from Montreal to Ottawa and needed a place to stay for the night. With poor cell phone/internet service it was a challenge. We made a stop at a fast food place on the interstate to use WiFi. Went into a website and found the Auberge Montebello and it sounded perfect. Since I cannot tell you dollar amounts, lets say it was a pretty good price. We set the GPS and headed off.....We were on the Ontario side of the river and guess what...NO bridge to Quebec. We paid nine dollars for a ferry ride. Get to the Inn and they do not honor internet prices. We ended up paying sixty dollars more for our room. There was no negotiating it and we were stuck. It was late and dark so we stayed. It is dark, dingy & very old. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and pretty cute. They reuse the key cards/envelopes over and over, so make sure you give it back! The breakfast consisted of, old over ripened fruit, bread that was at least 2 days old served out of the bread bag that everyone else reaches into, over cooked hard boiled eggs (green yolks), butter in a dish that everyone else uses and pitchers of milk and orange juice. Not to appetizing. The owner appears to not trust his guests and we found that he followed us around. He would be around any corner we walked--rather unsettling! Front desk staff is quite rude and not to willing to help. It is a beautiful area and the town is wonderful. The inn was just a bummer for us.

Room Tip: Call before you go if possible. Do not rely on internet prices!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sandykj
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked a room here back in may for a wedding in August. When I called a few days before the wedding to confirm my reservation as I always do - they told me I had no reservation. I said I'd booked months ago and was told - 'sorry, you don't have a reservation here'.

Fortunately the hotel next door had some rooms, so I booked there last minute and thought no more of it. When I got home on the Monday, I noticed my cerdit card had been charged by the Auberge Montebello for $300 - I called immediately and challenged this. I was told that no - it was not possible as I had no reservation with them and they did not have my credit card details on file. They said I should call my bank. Which of course I did.

A few days later I received a call from the Auberge to say I had been charged as a no show for two nights. I explained that I had called to confirm, was told I had no reservation and then was told again I had no reservation, even after the charge had been made. So how was this possible.

A few days later I noticed I had been refunded only one night. I called hotel and they said that was the best they could do and that it was partly my fault? The manager then lied and said he was the only man who answered the phone when I told him it was a guy I was speaking to. He later conceded that sometimes the maintenance guy answered the phone. I explained that obviously his maintenance guy has made the mistake then when I called to confirm my reservation first time around and that perhaps the maintenance guy shouldn't be taking calls about reservations and yet he still argued and claimed that he would not refund my credit card as it was my fault somehow? He then lied again and said he called my cell multiple times on the Friday and left many messages. I have checked my cell record and voicemail and this is simply not true.

I am still shocked that he has had the nerve to do this and all I can hope is that people read this and avoid this place at all costs - as this is a ridiculous view to take in the hospitality business and is no way to treat customers. The Auberge Montebello has a lot to learn about customer service and I will not be letting this one drop!

Please do not stay here. As it stands I've been charged $150 for a room, I didn't stay in, because they have a maintenace man answering the phone regarding reservations....

And the manager had the cheek to tell me it's my fault?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
18  Thank mjdg
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Auberge Montebello for a long weekend. The hotel is very well decorated and clean. The staff is extremely proficient in communicating in both English and French. I have to say that this was one of most memorable hotels. The room was large and very well kept with a view of the river. Our room had a patio with chairs and table which we enjoyed tremendously. The breakfast was just fine...everything was fresh. Five minutes from the hotel are the falls of Papineauville and the Parc Omega (zoo) which is approximately 10 minutes from the hotel. Chateau Montebello is approximately 5 minutes away but is in my opinion overpriced and yet beautiful to visit. The Auberge Montebello hotel has has a large pool and jaccuzzi. Our oveall experience was so enjoyalbe that we are planning to return shortly.

Room Tip: We looked at all of the rooms and all were very clean and spacious. Our room was on the first floor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed one night to attend a wedding down the street, so I did not have the opportunity to use all the amenities on site. Please note that taxi service is extremely limited in this town so plan WELL ahead or be prepared to walk/drive. The hotel is charming and the staff were great in both english and french (my french is a little rusty). The breakfast was good: bananas, cereal, juices, and make your own waffles. The room was a good size, the air conditioner in the room was a life saver, bed was comfortable, bathroom was in good condition and everything was clean. This is not a huge chain hotel, it is a local character hotel. All in all, I'm a happy customer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jellow15
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We went there for our anniversary, had to pay up front, was told that there was breakfast served between 8 -11. The breakfast was stale cereals, a choice between toast (which you made) or cinnamon bagels, something that looked like a waffle mix (that you cook), 6 overly ripe bananas and cold hard boiled eggs. There is no bathrobes and we saw no cleaning person. We had a 2 night stay, so we had to go and ask for clean face clothes and towels. We were unable to take a shower since it did not work, only baths. I would not recommend this place except for a quick stop on your way somewhere else!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank M B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
#2 of 2 in Grenville-sur-la-Rouge
Motel L'Anse De La Lanterne
Motel L'Anse De La Lanterne
#4 of 4 in Montebello

Been to Auberge Montebello? Share your experiences!