“Sub par all around”

Auberge Montebello
Ranked #4 of 5 Montebello B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Where to begin?

Let’s start with the Positives: the location is handy to local businesses and restaurants. There is a nice large covered porch overlooking the highway. Everyone’s room had a functioning fridge. A very nice little grocery store was a two minute walk away, where one could purchase good fresh sandwiches, salads and cold beer. Free parking is provided, though the lots were small.

Negatives: First and foremost, I would bet a week’s salary that this place is infested with mould. There is a very strange and troubling smell in many parts of the building, especially in the lower levels (and unfortunately, my room). It was very apparent to anyone who went to the lower floors. One friend came to my room to visit and had to leave within minutes as she was feeling ill. It made my asthma flare up quite badly (in the mornings, after sleeping). There is no elevator in the building, so luggage has to be dragged up the stairs without any help. The building itself is not (I repeat, NOT) air conditioned. Individual rooms are. During our week, we experienced a heat wave where temperatures with the humidity went into the low 40’s C. The dining area, lobby and hallways were unbearable. Having gone for a work conference, we were hopeful that the meeting room was air conditioned. Unfortunately only one of the small wall units was functioning and the room soon became swealteringly hot (50+ warm bodies did little to help). Large fans were provided which gave a bit of relief, but also caused people’s hair and papers to be constantly in motion. The décor of the entire hotel is dated and tacky (plastic flowers and old furniture abound). Water jugs were refilled using large orange industrial sized buckets of ice water, which were left on the floor. Not a joke - I took a picture.

A dinner party was planned for our staff, which unfortunately was held in the basement meeting room where we spent our days. The dinner was a set menu with two choices. Salad or soup, chicken brochette (one) or boeuf bourgignon, and desert. Soup was a tepid carrot purée; boeuf bourgignon was a few cubes of tough meat with one half piece of a tinned button mushroom. Steamed frozen vegetables and three small new potato halves were the accompaniment. Desert was some sort of cake with berries on top, which were frozen solid. Dinner rolls were provided still in their cellophane wrappers, much like Twinkies (again, not a joke). All this for $33 (!). I’ve had better food at hospital cafeterias. Continental breakfast consisted of bagels and breads, served in their bags in small plastic containers one would normally use to store socks and underwear etc. There were two toasters and a large container of warm margarine, full of crumbs and other debris. Some fruit and yogurt was also available. There were also two waffle griddles and a container of batter which was dispensed much like a snow-cone machine. Unfortunately the batter was off, and had an acrid / acidic taste. It was inedible. Pitchers of water and “juice” were also provided. The juice made one long for the days of Tang, as Tang would have been a marked improvement over this sugary urine-coloured concoction.

Absolutely without reservation, one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at in my entire life.

Not Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
13  Thank GRD75

Reviewed October 6, 2011

I have to agree with DraftXRider's statement that "disappointing is an understatement". I was staying on business, and was very excited about going from the way the brochure looked - I would would have chosen it for a nice weekend away. NOPE. It was very old. The spa looks chintzy (although in fairness I didn't go for any treatments, so I can't speak to the quality). The front desk clerk the first night was lovely; check-out with the owner (?) was a time-consuming, frustrating process. This is not a castle, it is more of a motel. There again, I think when looking around, it's the best if not only option in the area. By the way, there's no elevator, so if you go, don't bring too much luggage. On a positive note, the rooms were clean and well stocked with nice toiletries. I didn't have a meal in the restaurant other than breakfast. That was, well, good enough to tide you over till you could get a real one somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank TekkieMom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Disappointing is an understatement. Room was smelly - none of the windows could be opened properly and had no screens on them -- cob webs on window frames - one blind broken and had to stay fully shut - one window in bedroom had no blind on it - battery cover missing from TV remote - included breakfast was dismal. There were no other acceptable rooms to move in to, so we stayed where we were for the one night. While we were in Montebello we saw several other places to stay down the street that I've written down and will try next time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CestWhat
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Basically the hotel and staff are exceptionally nice people and really tried to make our stay a positive one. 5 on 5 for effort, patience and hospitality.

We were one of 2 hockey teams in the hotel. Our team was the respectfull one with parents not the 18 year olds who disturbed 2 entire floors in the early morning.

The location and accomidation are nice and basic for a person with simple expectations. Do not compare with the Chateau Monteello near by.

The main problem is the food. Even though visually presentable it lacked flavor and freshness and was overcooked. Overpriced for the quality and I am a very easy eater. I like cafeteria food. A prearranged cold buffet unfortunately created stomach problems for more than one parent during the evening. They were grateful that I told them of the details, but that was about all they could do.

Fitness center according to others had broken equipment and I would not really call it a fitness center or gym. 1 bike 1 treadmill some free weights.

• Stayed: January 2011
3  Thank Leopard-Coach
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Not a great experience for me at all!
1. They lost my reservation, then found it and put me in a room that was already booked, then changed my room to a less classy room, but the same price.
2. The room they gave me was ''newly renovated'' yeah! sure! The patch work on the walls was horribly done, and the window next to the air conditioning was closed with duct tape...enough said!
3. With all the room problems I talked to the mannager, who spoke not a word of french and hardly any english...great! Not quite the way that you can get your point across!
4. Too expensive for the service.

Other than that, the food was great, breakfast was simple but filling and tasty; supper was very good, no complaints there.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HappyKali
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed here for two nights to do a Whitewater Rafting Tour at the Rouge River. We found the fall offer at bookings.com and it was quiet worth the money.

We got a huge and clean room with a lovely interior. The breakfast was included in the room rate and you could choose between four possibilities. We took the American Breakfast, with two eggs, ham/bacon, french toasts and fruits. There was maple sirup on the table and we got coffee and juice.

Moreover there is a jacuzzi on the rooftop to use for free. It was almost clean and very romantic at the sunset. At this side you have a great view towards the Ottawa River.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monomas
Reviewed August 27, 2005

This hotel, although not horrible, was simply not worth the money. Here are the basic points:

Rooms: Plain, clean, simple. Had a few large spiders in ours though. A bit tacky, (ex: room numbers on the doors were simply stickers, many of which were peeling off)

Staff: Friendly. No complaints.

Breakfast: very simple, not great, not bad. (Basically, just bread, juice, muffins, cereals, coffee)

Location: in the heart of Montebello, but right near the main road, not private or secluded at all. (but the hotel's website cleverly disguises this fact)

Price: Far over-priced for what you receive! For 50 bucks more we could have gotten a HUGE upgrade and stayed at the Fairmount Chateau Montebello just 2 mins away- an attraction itself, which has a huge lot, great restaurant, lovely grounds etc..

13  Thank Greg88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
#2 of 2 in Grenville-sur-la-Rouge
Au Parfum des Saisons
Au Parfum des Saisons
#2 of 5 in Montebello

Been to Auberge Montebello? Share your experiences!