“Great breakfast”
Review of Aux Chantignoles

Aux Chantignoles
Reserve with OpenTable
Aux Chantignoles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Montebello
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Montreal, Canada
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had buffet breakfast and dinner at this great restaurant.
Don't miss the crepes in the morning, they are really good

Visited September 2011

Montreal
“Good Value Cold Lunch Buffet”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I went here recently with my parents. The Chateau Montebello is a well-known Canadian icon, and is worth a visit.
We all chose the cold lunch buffet. It included a nice selection of salads, cold meats, a daily soup, interesting breads as well as cold meats and very delicious locally smoked fish. There was also a dessert bar with warm bread pudding ( very delicious and "Canadian"!) and tea or coffee to finish. I think it is very good value for $20. The service was attentive and non-intrusive.
Note that parking is included if you dine here. If you just want to visit to walk around the lovely grounds, you will be paying to park. The place is dated. It was built about 80 years ago and is made with logs. It does impress, but it does smell a bit musty everywhere. The lobby of the hotel is stunning with it's huge central fireplace. The is even a resident dog, "Montie" , that greets guests and can be borrowed to walk.
I think that this is a lovely place to dine, for lunch, if you chose the cold buffet. It is elegant and dignified with white table cloths and an impressive ambiance.

• Visited July 2012
Westmount, Canada
“Great dinner - a a fine selection of wines”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Discovered a great 2005 whitew Rioja from thier private importation - A new favorite!

Visited May 2012
Ontario
“Expensive and impersonal”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We had three meals at Aux Chantignoles during our recent stay at Chateau Montebello.

The first was lunch, where we enjoyed a club sandwich with green salad, and a smoked meat sandwich with french fries. These really were top-of-the-line sandwiches - the pickle mustard with the smoked meat sandwich was wonderful - but with water to drink, the meal cost nearly $40. That's a lot of money for sandwiches. The service was fine - nothing remarkable but certainly adequate.

We returned for an 8 p.m. seating for dinner and had the prix fixe menu. My husband sang the praises of his shrimp appetizer and I found the green salad to be - well, a green salad. It was fine. The prime rib was beautifully done but was accompanied by tiny servings of potatoes and roast vegetables. The bass with tomato curry sauce was solid but not life-changing. We both enjoyed our soups. The Jerusalem Artichoke soup was really superb. And we found the dessert buffet to be excellent. The waiter recommended the Tarte au Sucre, which is just as sweet as it sounds but fairly forgettable.

Overall, we found the meal a bit disappointing. Despite arriving when the restaurant was only half-full, we were seated next to a large group, with a table of adults and an adjacent table of children. The group was celebrating a birthday, and the adults got louder and louder as the night wore on, while the children (some clearly overtired from being out so late), got progressively more restless. There were times when we could barely hear each other, and we had a young child bouncing around our table quite a lot. I like kids, I have two of my own in fact. But I resent having to put up with kids whipping each other with their cloth napkins in a gourmet restaurant at almost 10 p.m.

I appreciate that the restaurant staff is limited in its ability to control this kind of behaviour. But I have trouble understanding why we were seated next to this group in the first place, when there were many empty tables (with nicer views) available. I wish I had asked for a different table when we were first seated, but I truly am not usually the type to get in a fuss about sitting near kids. Even a quiet apology from the staff would have gone a long way to remedy the situation, but none was forthcoming. I will say that the wait staff was remarkable otherwise but I don't think they handled this situation well.

We returned the next morning for brunch. The Sunday brunch at Aux Chantignoles is something to behold, and so is your bill afterwards. The food varies from good (the smoked salmon) to outstanding (the roast bison and Quebec old cheddar cheese), although some favourites from a previous visit were less impressive this time (the maple butter crepes, which were soggy in the middle and crispy on the ends.)

We were part of the 11:30 seating, and at 12:30, our waiter whisked all the dishes off our table, without asking if we were finished eating or offering more coffee. Our bill arrived almost immediately thereafter. I felt like I was in a cheap greasy spoon and was being pushed along so another paying party could take my seat. At more than $50 a plate, I'd like to be allowed to leave on my own time.

Overall: food that varies from good to outstanding, and service that varies from mediocre to pretty good. Worth the money? I say no.

• Visited May 2012
6 Thank DrSquirrel14
Toronto, Canada
“Québec Class !”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Fine dining at a classic and historical hotel restaurant with an outstanding view of the Ottawa River made for an unforgettable Sunday evening. Service was very polite and menu and wine list explanations were also helpful and this classy restaurant. Most of all the quality of the food and the presentation exceded all expectations ! Must return again for another memorable dining experience.

• Visited April 2012