“The place to be !”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Esterel
Saint Bruno, Canada
“The place to be !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Nice location, close to Montreal. Very nice room, excellent layout with a gaz fire place. All you need for your comfort. In fact it's all suite ao you have your little kitchen.
Restaurant: food is excelente, very good quality, fresh and lots of choices.
Bar: ask and you will received ! Samuel make the best Martini !
Staff: from the valet service, reception desk, waiter or even the maintenance personal, everyone welcome me, were nice and went out of there way to make sure everything was all right.
Free internet, close to town, excepcional view.
I really love the place and will be back for sure.
Outdoor: jacuzzi, ice ring, the view is exceptional on the lake.

Room Tip: Suite with lake view are fantastic !
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Lionne1961

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

nothing else to add, except that yes, you can definitely talk in the Scandinavian baths outside, as opposed to some other establishments. For the 2nd year in a row, I went there, this time even with a friend with children, and nobody told the kids they can't talk and nobody was after us to tell us to shut up, as they did in the amerispa I reviewed previously.
4 Scandinavian baths outside, in Esterel, open space on one side of the hotel (a frozen lake with a bit of woods), but it is not in the wilderness, there's cottages in the other side of the lake. The rooms are amazingly decorated (modern, not old "rustique" style) w nice fireplaces. 3 restaurants, all nice, one more expensive than others but the other 2 are great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank amandaGRR
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We booked two nights December 24 and 25 our Christmas present to us a mini vacation. We drove 3 1/2 hours to get there only to be disappointed with the room it was nothing like the website showed the big thing they claim is the windows and the view only you can't leave the curtains open. Long story short after driving three and a half hours to the place and visiting our room we were disappointed with the accommodations the room was small and yrs the retractable wall ha ha better hope you don't need to use the washroom. I have more space in my bedroom at home then I had in the whole room they wanted me to stay in for two days (we booked the lake view upgraded room) I have bigger rooms at the holiday inn. When we told them we did not like the accommodations they showed is another room which was bigger and had a hot tub on the baloney nice you think yes it was only problem was they built the skating rink right outside our room where kids were playing hockey my husband joked about does the hot tub come with helmets!!! They answer was normally the rink is not her ok but it is now so so much for the hot tub and leaving the curtains open to see the view. We told them no thanks this is not what we expected or wanted and that we would not be staying. They said fine but we are keeping your deposit I said no we did not cancel we drove here three and a half hours and do not like the accommodations and now on Christmas Eve we have to drive back home three and a half hours. With nothing ready for Christmas celebration and no groceries because everything is now closed for two days. I am very disappointed with their attitude if I had stay home and called to cancel I would agree to pay the cancelation fee but driving there paying for gas and lunch and then driving home the same day 8 hour round trip on Christmas Eve and then not being able to buy groceries made for a disappointing Christmas vacation . I would say save your money or find a place that sells what they advertise. I am still waiting for my refund and I hope I won't have to use the consumer protection to get it back. Please acknowledge the difference between cancelling and not liking your accommodations and refund my deposit.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank 2013tri
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I were planning a one-night total relaxation package at Esterel Resort , on the night of December 30th. Reservation online was very easy and straightforward, no hassle. We had however to call the hotel to inquire about some details and they were very helpful on the phone, clarifying all our inquiries.

We chose the Emotion hotel with the lake-view king bed suite (although in winter time, you can only see the snow everywhere, but that was equally good and peaceful!). Check-in was very easy and quick, no surprises at all! The moment I walked into the room, I was very much impressed by the decoration, the set-up, the modern aspect and cleanliness of the suite! It was absolutely the same look as you can picture it on the hotel's website! I was impressed!

We went directly for our massage appointments at 1:30 pm at Amerispa. The personnel in the spa were very kind and we were well greeted and welcomed. Spa is clean and set-up very Zen and quite. We were invited to the massage rooms on time. When we booked, we asked for an extension of 30 min for the massage session and we paid the difference at the spa. The massotherapist who took care of my massage was very good and professional. That was super relaxing. After the massage is over, we walked out to the jaccuzzi and pool (temperature hovering around -20C), it was freezing out there, but we enjoyed the hot water for sometimes, then walked to the steam room then to the sauna. That was such a relaxing unique experience.

We had dinner at night at the Bistro 360 Resto. The atmosphere was nice and not too crowded and noisy (somehow busy for a monday night ). The staff were very welcoming and we were able to choose the table we like. Food was fantastic and very tasty (nachos, salmon etc...), However, the service was veryyyyyy slow!!!! We checked in at the restaurant at 8:10 pm, and we got the first nachos plate appetizer at 9:00 pm! we were craving.... But after waiting for so long, tasting the delicious well-presented food made us forget all about the late service!

The bed was very comfy and clean (that was super important for me- cleanliness). Carpets, towels, shower robes etc.... everything was just fantastic! The room was quite. No noise and nothing was disturbing at all!

The next morning breakfast buffet was good as well. May be not the very best and rich buffet, since there was not much varieties to choose from, but overall experience was good!

Checking out was very quick. We settled the difference in the bill and no uneventful surprises.

I am looking forward taking the kids in the summer and enjoy the beach side and the water activities. I am very happy mu husband and I had some time off to relax, and that was absolutely a TOTAL RELAXATION GATEAWAY that I would recommend to every couple.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WCheb
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed at the Esterel Resort last weekend, for the first time. The place is very modern and likely still going throuugh some growing pains as it has only been open a year. We were greeted by the Valet service (only $10) and asked to go register at the front desk. Check in was efficient and friendly. We were told to come back to the front desk for a welcome cocktail. Bags were brought to the room promptly (by the Valet). We returned to the front desk for a 'cosmo' on the house. I noticed that the ice added to the drink shaker was the same ice that all the shakers were sitting in...definite high risk for cross contamination.
The room was quite beautiful, excepot the view was of the parking lot instead of the lake (as promised). Nice two-sided fireplace and lovely washroom. Linens and toileteries were first class as well.
The large spa (hot tubs) outside were great at 100 deg C on a -14C deg day. Very relaxing and romantic. We did not use any of the spa services.
Dinner was served at a reception we attended and was quite good. Drinks served by a bartender (who does not drink alcohol) were fine. A little more knowledge of alcohol bevs would be nice. I ordered a Drambuie and got a Cranberry juice. The Bartender had never heard of "Drambuie".
The layout of the place is just wrong... to get back to the rooms from the spa, you have to walk through the banquet hall area and the front desk. If there is a reception in progress, it is quite awkward when walking in a housecoat/bathing suite when everyone is in 'black tie'.
Breakfast was awful...Feegs (fake eggs), limp bacon and sausages. Huge room for improvement here. The only bright light was the Omlete station, and the Chef from Mexico!
Painless checkout and return back to Montreal for a flight home.

Room Tip: Get a lake view!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dds60
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was the second time we stayed at L'Esterel Resort and we very much enjoyed our stay both times. Its location is idyllic. Not that far from Montreal straddling Lac Masson and Lac Dupuis.

The property itself is very clean and modern since the place was completely renovated several years back. It has pretty much everything MOST people would look for, close by; golf, tennis, pools, the AmeriSpa, nicely equipped gym. There are several marked hiking trails for those seeking nature walks in the pure, forest air.

Last year we were in the main, original building. Our suite was very spacious, well appointed, modern and comfortable, with a pleasing color palate; lots of greys and tans, large burnt orange sofa. The bathrooms have modern, large rectangular tiles and big double showers, some with a "rain shower" fixture. A gas fireplace has a TV on each side of the chimney, one for the living area and one for the bedroom... IF TV is your thing.

This time we were in "Emotion", the second, newer building. The room was similar but maybe ~ 20% smaller. Still 2 TVs on either side of the fireplace, but this time with a large bathroom with sliding panels that open onto the bedroom area. The lost space was in the entrance way, dining area. Last year we had a full table. This year, there was a small oval extension to the kitchen counter with 1 bar stool in each side. Still, we were comfortable.

Our 'kitchen' had a small, bar fridge, so you can't bring a ton of food (especially wine) and hope to keep it all cold. There was both a microwave and toaster oven, but NO cooktop.
(Note that the units are privately owned and rented out by the company that runs and maintains the 'hotel'. Each unit has one cupboard which is locked, that contains the true owners' "stuff" - salt and pepper, mustard, etc., for their use when they occupy their own 'condo-hotel' unit.)

We're never REALLY sure what to bring with us because the rooms don't seem to all have the same number of plates, glasses, etc. In fact, we had to call the front desk a few times; once because there was only one fork in our drawer (but, like, 5 bread knives); again because our unit had (VERY) 'childproof' electrical outlets (only in the kitchen ?!?) that even the hotel guy couldn't manage to plug stuff into and then finally because there was no dishwashing liquid.

Many (maybe all ?) of the ground floor rooms (like ours, this time) have a private jacuzzi. It was our anniversary so we brought a bottle of champagne. It was super nice to be sitting in the bubbling hot water of a jacuzzi, sipping champagne while it was @ 35 F outside. The upper rooms have spacious balconies.
One of the MOST spectacular things about this property (to me) is the lake. Clearly, to get a full appreciation, a lake view room is what you should shoot for.

The rooms could be much better insulated for sound. You can hear stuff that goes on in the hallway and even in adjoining rooms. This was definitely true this time in "Emotion". I don't remember hearing anything in the other building. Perhaps it is better insulated ? Perhaps we just had no next door neighbors during our last stay.

You pull up, unload, park (free across the street, $10 / day if the valet takes care of it) and check in. We received a 'welcome' cocktail. Check in time is officially 4 pm. We were allowed to check in @ 2 pm because our room was not occupied the night before. All good.

The restaurants, L'Ultime, or Roc (just a slightly different part of the same space) have huge windows that look out onto one of the prettiest lakes in the Laurentians. If you go in the summer, you can actually SEE the lake and some pretty sunsets. In the fall or winter, past 4:30 pm, there is no view; just big, black windows and your own reflection.

Dinner : If your not on some kind of all-inclusive package, L'Ultime will cost (Fall 2013) $52 pp for a 5 course gastronomical meal. (You can add a granité - a sort of sorbet - for $7.50 pp - and / or a plate of Quebecois cheeses to share - $9 ? - to make it a 6 or 7 course meal). Even with 5 courses, there are a number of "options" on the menu that start to add up. The portions are of good size and we were stuffed with 'only' the 5 courses.

The food was just shy of very good. Not spectacular. Uneven, I would say. Some stuff is great; some other stuff ? Meh..
The lobster in my wife's salad was chewy, as was her ris-de-veau. Her veal filet mignon, however, was perfect. I took an optional 'foie gras in a jar'. I still enjoyed it, but it was a $12 supplement and as far as foie gras in a jar goes, it was a 7 / 10.

(If you want GREAT foie gras in a jar, go to Kitchen Galerie in Montreal. 10/10 for taste / value. They call it "Dishwasher Foie Gras" there - they actually cook a bunch of them together in a dishwasher !! - but it's amazing... and I'm off topic ;-).

Dessert : The tarte tatin (a sort of apple tart with thinly sliced apples and flaky pastry, slightly larger in diameter than an old 45 RPM record - $2.50 supplement) was excellent. The chocolate lava cake ? was just ok.

The wine list... I don't dropping some pretty big coin for a great meal and LOVE wine but will I ever buy a $1500 bottle in a restaurant ? Um, no. Is there a $1500 bottle (and more!) on the wine list at l'Ultime ? Yes.
They have a VERY comprehensive wine cellar, great bottles from all over the world for the most discerning wine connaisseurs - with deep pockets.

I chose a Crozes-Hermitage that I know costs @ $26 at the 'booze store'. It was $62 at L'Ultime (so call it @ 140% markup - the reason I would NEVER buy a very expensive bottle in a restaurant). Given the other choices on the list (especially among the French / Italian wines) the "Crozes" was a very modest choice from the low end of the wine list. The "New World" wine section had a number of affordable selections.

With our wine and @ $30 of menu 'extras', our dinner bill for 2 was just shy of $200. Add Quebec's 15% taxes and a %15 tip and you just spent $260 on dinner... Definitely not unheard of for two, but for $260 I expect to go "WOW, that is a meal I won't soon forget". I am already having difficulty remembering the whole meal... It was very good, but as someone who dines out, I'm pretty sure something similar could be had in 'the city' (Montreal), for about $100 less.

The spa is very nice but again, a tad expensive. A 50 minute (actually 45 by my watch) tandem massage was $180 before tax and tip. I have nothing bad to say about the massage or facilities. You can ask for a receipt for insurance and they gladly oblige.

I couldn't comment on the English-French thing someone else complained about... My wife and I are fluently bilingual English / French so it wasn't an issue.
When I go to Mexico, I expect to hear and maybe have to speak a little Spanish. But that's just me.

Conclusion : I REALLY enjoy going to this place. We get into full relaxation, don't give a [--] mode pretty soon after we arrive. We sleep like babies in the big, comfortable beds.

There is pretty strong and reliable wi-fi everywhere I needed it. The lake is breathtaking. The good outweighs the less good. (For me, nothing was 'bad').

We will certainly return many more times.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beaverboy
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

The lake and rooms are beautiful! We faced the lake and couldn't have asked for a prettier setting. The lake level rooms had hot tubs, although the view from our balcony higher up was sure amazing! The spa and service was great (although expensive), too. The pool is outside so we didn't give it a try. Now the down side, which could have actually taken them to 3 stars, but the room was just to good for that--the food is definately only ok and the staff (minus one woman at the front desk and the valet) really don't want to work there--or maybe anywhere with people. Just not friendly. But, go out and take a walk around the lake and you'll get over it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank morex4
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear morex4,
Please accept our apologies for the guest service experience received. We are taking your comment very seriously and will take actions immediately because your description does not reflect the standards of our establishment. We hope to have a second chance to prove you that your experience was an exception.
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Cordially,
Maude Y.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esterel
Hotel Spa Chateau Sainte-Adele
#2 of 4 in Val David
Excelsior Hotel Spa Sainte-Adele
Excelsior Hotel Spa Sainte-Adele
#5 of 11 in Sainte-Adele

Been to Esterel Resort? Share your experiences!