“Could be a 9+ on 10, if not for a few issues.”
Review of Esterel Resort

Esterel Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Esterel
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was the second time we stayed at L'Esterel Resort and we very much enjoyed our stay both times. Its location is idyllic. Not that far from Montreal straddling Lac Masson and Lac Dupuis.

The property itself is very clean and modern since the place was completely renovated several years back. It has pretty much everything MOST people would look for, close by; golf, tennis, pools, the AmeriSpa, nicely equipped gym. There are several marked hiking trails for those seeking nature walks in the pure, forest air.

Last year we were in the main, original building. Our suite was very spacious, well appointed, modern and comfortable, with a pleasing color palate; lots of greys and tans, large burnt orange sofa. The bathrooms have modern, large rectangular tiles and big double showers, some with a "rain shower" fixture. A gas fireplace has a TV on each side of the chimney, one for the living area and one for the bedroom... IF TV is your thing.

This time we were in "Emotion", the second, newer building. The room was similar but maybe ~ 20% smaller. Still 2 TVs on either side of the fireplace, but this time with a large bathroom with sliding panels that open onto the bedroom area. The lost space was in the entrance way, dining area. Last year we had a full table. This year, there was a small oval extension to the kitchen counter with 1 bar stool in each side. Still, we were comfortable.

Our 'kitchen' had a small, bar fridge, so you can't bring a ton of food (especially wine) and hope to keep it all cold. There was both a microwave and toaster oven, but NO cooktop.
(Note that the units are privately owned and rented out by the company that runs and maintains the 'hotel'. Each unit has one cupboard which is locked, that contains the true owners' "stuff" - salt and pepper, mustard, etc., for their use when they occupy their own 'condo-hotel' unit.)

We're never REALLY sure what to bring with us because the rooms don't seem to all have the same number of plates, glasses, etc. In fact, we had to call the front desk a few times; once because there was only one fork in our drawer (but, like, 5 bread knives); again because our unit had (VERY) 'childproof' electrical outlets (only in the kitchen ?!?) that even the hotel guy couldn't manage to plug stuff into and then finally because there was no dishwashing liquid.

Many (maybe all ?) of the ground floor rooms (like ours, this time) have a private jacuzzi. It was our anniversary so we brought a bottle of champagne. It was super nice to be sitting in the bubbling hot water of a jacuzzi, sipping champagne while it was @ 35 F outside. The upper rooms have spacious balconies.
One of the MOST spectacular things about this property (to me) is the lake. Clearly, to get a full appreciation, a lake view room is what you should shoot for.

The rooms could be much better insulated for sound. You can hear stuff that goes on in the hallway and even in adjoining rooms. This was definitely true this time in "Emotion". I don't remember hearing anything in the other building. Perhaps it is better insulated ? Perhaps we just had no next door neighbors during our last stay.

You pull up, unload, park (free across the street, $10 / day if the valet takes care of it) and check in. We received a 'welcome' cocktail. Check in time is officially 4 pm. We were allowed to check in @ 2 pm because our room was not occupied the night before. All good.

The restaurants, L'Ultime, or Roc (just a slightly different part of the same space) have huge windows that look out onto one of the prettiest lakes in the Laurentians. If you go in the summer, you can actually SEE the lake and some pretty sunsets. In the fall or winter, past 4:30 pm, there is no view; just big, black windows and your own reflection.

Dinner : If your not on some kind of all-inclusive package, L'Ultime will cost (Fall 2013) $52 pp for a 5 course gastronomical meal. (You can add a granité - a sort of sorbet - for $7.50 pp - and / or a plate of Quebecois cheeses to share - $9 ? - to make it a 6 or 7 course meal). Even with 5 courses, there are a number of "options" on the menu that start to add up. The portions are of good size and we were stuffed with 'only' the 5 courses.

The food was just shy of very good. Not spectacular. Uneven, I would say. Some stuff is great; some other stuff ? Meh..
The lobster in my wife's salad was chewy, as was her ris-de-veau. Her veal filet mignon, however, was perfect. I took an optional 'foie gras in a jar'. I still enjoyed it, but it was a $12 supplement and as far as foie gras in a jar goes, it was a 7 / 10.

(If you want GREAT foie gras in a jar, go to Kitchen Galerie in Montreal. 10/10 for taste / value. They call it "Dishwasher Foie Gras" there - they actually cook a bunch of them together in a dishwasher !! - but it's amazing... and I'm off topic ;-).

Dessert : The tarte tatin (a sort of apple tart with thinly sliced apples and flaky pastry, slightly larger in diameter than an old 45 RPM record - $2.50 supplement) was excellent. The chocolate lava cake ? was just ok.

The wine list... I don't dropping some pretty big coin for a great meal and LOVE wine but will I ever buy a $1500 bottle in a restaurant ? Um, no. Is there a $1500 bottle (and more!) on the wine list at l'Ultime ? Yes.
They have a VERY comprehensive wine cellar, great bottles from all over the world for the most discerning wine connaisseurs - with deep pockets.

I chose a Crozes-Hermitage that I know costs @ $26 at the 'booze store'. It was $62 at L'Ultime (so call it @ 140% markup - the reason I would NEVER buy a very expensive bottle in a restaurant). Given the other choices on the list (especially among the French / Italian wines) the "Crozes" was a very modest choice from the low end of the wine list. The "New World" wine section had a number of affordable selections.

With our wine and @ $30 of menu 'extras', our dinner bill for 2 was just shy of $200. Add Quebec's 15% taxes and a %15 tip and you just spent $260 on dinner... Definitely not unheard of for two, but for $260 I expect to go "WOW, that is a meal I won't soon forget". I am already having difficulty remembering the whole meal... It was very good, but as someone who dines out, I'm pretty sure something similar could be had in 'the city' (Montreal), for about $100 less.

The spa is very nice but again, a tad expensive. A 50 minute (actually 45 by my watch) tandem massage was $180 before tax and tip. I have nothing bad to say about the massage or facilities. You can ask for a receipt for insurance and they gladly oblige.

I couldn't comment on the English-French thing someone else complained about... My wife and I are fluently bilingual English / French so it wasn't an issue.
When I go to Mexico, I expect to hear and maybe have to speak a little Spanish. But that's just me.

Conclusion : I REALLY enjoy going to this place. We get into full relaxation, don't give a [--] mode pretty soon after we arrive. We sleep like babies in the big, comfortable beds.

There is pretty strong and reliable wi-fi everywhere I needed it. The lake is breathtaking. The good outweighs the less good. (For me, nothing was 'bad').

We will certainly return many more times.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beaverboy
There are newer reviews for Esterel Resort

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The lake and rooms are beautiful! We faced the lake and couldn't have asked for a prettier setting. The lake level rooms had hot tubs, although the view from our balcony higher up was sure amazing! The spa and service was great (although expensive), too. The pool is outside so we didn't give it a try. Now the down side, which could have actually taken them to 3 stars, but the room was just to good for that--the food is definately only ok and the staff (minus one woman at the front desk and the valet) really don't want to work there--or maybe anywhere with people. Just not friendly. But, go out and take a walk around the lake and you'll get over it!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank morex4
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear morex4,
Please accept our apologies for the guest service experience received. We are taking your comment very seriously and will take actions immediately because your description does not reflect the standards of our establishment. We hope to have a second chance to prove you that your experience was an exception.
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Cordially,
Maude Y.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were there in August for 4 nights.
I'm an anglophone who likes to attempt speaking in French. (Had 5 years of French in High School and love the language.) Staff were friendly and courteous and let me try, helping me along. (Actually developed some facility after 5 days.)
We were upgraded when we said this was for our anniversary celebration which, we told them, was months earlier. We do that, celebrating later. It was legitimate. They were fine with that and most generous in the upgrade, by moving us from a golf view, which would not have been pleasant for us, to a lake view.
Can't comment on the golf course or other activities or amenities. We were there just to relax, and relax we did. Loved the sauna, though. Have to be careful of wet floors when you come out of the shower that faces onto the lake.
Lots of young families staying there (these people were in great shape,) but okay for my (slightly older) generation, too.
We were there to veg out which is what we did, not do a lot of stuff. Our only outing was to the Outlet Mall a reasonably short drive away. Other than that, mostly sat on our balcony overlooking the lake, watching as the beautiful clouds rolled by against a blue sky, and read. (Okay, and we drank wine. But not to excess. Good wine from a grocery store near the Outlet Mall. How neat is that?)
Breakfasts were excellent and included in our package. Lots of variety. Like a Sunday buffet, everyday.
Other meals were okay. That would be my only reservation in giving 5 stars. So, let's call it 4 1/2 if you include the dinners, but they were certainly interesting.
I took a huge tray up to the room for our breakfasts, to eat there with my wife, instead of eating in the restaurant. Hotel guests went out of their way to open doors for me to help out, and one even rode up in the elevator to help. (I'm not that old, really, that such help would be expected. I'm in my mid 60's. They were just being very nice. And tolerated my attempts to speak French well.)
All in all a very pleasant vacation of a sedentary nature. We could have done more, like rent a boat, or golf, but chose not to.
Just a note, we asked the housekeeping staff not to do our room done every day. Our preference. However, housekeeping staff were very accommodating and made sure we had plenty of whatever we requested, towels, soap, whatever, over the 4 nights we were there, most graciously. We just didn't feel it was necessary to get the room done.
This was a gift from a friend, so I cannot comment on value from the point of what I spent, just what I think. Ditto the spa. They do have spa facilities. I didn't go in, though.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lake view room, otherwise you'll be looking out over the parking lot and gol...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jay S,
We are very happy to read your beautiful comments. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. We will make sure that all our employees read it as you generously flatter them. Our team is doing a lot of effort to make guest stays memorable and we can see our accomplishment through your feedback.
Please accept our sincere salutations.
Regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We asked for a room in a quiet area on an upper floor, we were given that and more. Lakeside view, top floor, corner room, floor to ceiling glass on 2 sides. The room is beautifully designed and furnished, and with the beautiful fall foliage, we enjoyed every moment in it. We opted for the Choco Porto package and had dinner at l'Ultime, very happy with our meals and nice choice of wine. Staff was pleasant and helpful in all areas of the hotel. Only criticism was the lack of parking, should have used the Valet service. We plan to return in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hal2017

We thank you so much Mr. Hal2017 for sharing your experience.
It is a real joy to read your satisfaction and we hope to see you soon!
Best regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I've never actually stayed at the Esterel resort but it's one of my favourite places for lunches and Sunday brunches.
The drive from Montreal is quite scenic and the restaurant with its location on the lake is just beautiful. The food is very good and the whole experience is worth the hour drive to get there.
It's one of the places that I love to go to during the summer and at least once during fall to see the beautiful fall colours.
If you visit in summer, then it's worth it to spend the whole day in the area, and after having brunch or lunch at the hotel, you can go to the nearby beach of Sainte marguerite, which is less than 10 minutes away from the hotel, for a rest-of-the-day on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lily125,
Thank you for taking the time to rank us on Trip advisor. Guest loyalty is very important for us and we appreciate it
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was a fabulous stay , I will go back for sure.

I stayed in the revolution section top floor with a beautiful lake view. The room is very spacious and clean, the balcony is very spacious as well.
I also took a massage at the amerispa it was a very nice relaxing massage .

The hotel offers a pontoon boat tour 15$ without alcohol and 25$ with alcohol...It was really worth it. The gentlemen that was driving the boat was really nice and explaining the nice houses around the lake.

For supper I went to the restaurant called 260, it was really nice the food really good, it's the less expensive of the 3 restaurants that the hotel as.. I took a steak with a glass of win, with tip and tax my meal was 50$ which I find really reasonable.You have the reserve.

We had breakfast at the room that we split in 2 because it was really big.. and that came up with taxes and tip to 16$, I found that really cheap.

It's really relaxing , the beach is nice and the spa section+ pool is really nice as well..
They have 4 hot baths and 2 cold ones.Be noted that the kids under 16 or 18 are not allowed in the spa section, I really did appreciate this attention on the hotel behalf.

I highly recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing getaway between friends or couple

Room Tip: The room in the emotions and revolution are almost the same, there for to save money take the Revolu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Genevieve L

Dear Genevieve L,
Your feedback is very important for us and we sincerely appreciate the time taken to write it. We feel that we answered all your needs and even been able to exceed them.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was going there backward as this place was a run-down old spot for many years. And even if they invested a lot of money, well, from the outside, the structure has not changed much.

So maybe because my expectations were low, and the weather was perfect to enjoy the outside hot-cold mini-pools, that our suite was direct on the lake, that the brunch was very neat, that all over our week-end was perfect...how can I complain?

For something located outside of urban centers, they managed to get very professional staff. Ok, it is not Tremblant chic, but it has a charm that is less shiny but more peaceful.

Gym is a bit small, but provides modern equipement. 2 restaurants, good quality. Will go back.

Room Tip: Go for the suites on the lake!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PourJF

Thank you Mr. PourJF for your comment.
The promoters of the site kept the outside like as the original because the building and the site is historic by having host the Dominion Games in 1838 & the Swimming championship of Canada in 1839.
Great weather makes a better stay, and we totally agree with you: our site is set to be outside. Thank you again for your review and we will be pleased to see you again.
Regards,
Maude Y

Also consider these accommodations in or near Esterel
Manoir Saint-Sauveur
#2 of 2 in Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson
Hotel Le Chantecler
Hotel Le Chantecler
#8 of 11 in Sainte-Adele

Been to Esterel Resort? Share your experiences!