“Too much (self) hype to deliver”
Review of Esterel Resort

Esterel Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Esterel
Montreal, Canada
“Too much (self) hype to deliver”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Not really my or our cup of tea, to be honest. First impressions were really "what's wrong with running a regular hotel??" As, even during the booking process, you're made to choose between two conceptual ideas behind your stay. When you get there you realize, that's just how they've named the two halves of the same hotel, then. So ALREADY you feel like telling them to cut the crap.

We checked in and went up to our Golf view room. I've never seen anyone play golf in a car park, but that must be the done thing in that area. Maybe "water treatment system view" was already trademarked.

Our fireplace didn't work.

The bathroom is open concept. Listen, I get it. You want to make a romantic hotel, right? Promote, let's face it, a romp on a getaway. I'll say this: I don't need your help to get in the mood, hotel. What I WOULD like your help with is concealing the sounds we both make when we visit the bathroom individually. That thin, slideable partition is great for laying rose petals on top of scented bath water and bathing together, casting a hazy eye over the assortment of mid range vehicles on that "golf course"... Does nothing for modesty.

The a la carte restaurant was good. The first nights grub was very very good. Back to the room, fighting through the hoards of open-bathrobed guests on their way to the late night spa session. It was 11pm! I don't think they were all going to play monopoly.

Spend a bit of cash on the water sports (I'm not talking about that spa again) - the lake is incredible. Very relaxing, once you've gone far enough away from shore that you can't here the trance-mood-elevator music thumping out of the speakers.

There are some positives, you see. The bed was unbelievably comfortable. Good job I'm not bothered by what might have gone on in it before me! There were a lot of moustaches on that spa mob.

Whatever you do, do NOT go to their restaurant ROK. What a pretentious load of nonsense that was. They serve you a hot stone and you cook your food yourself. Not much more I can say about that. Oh, one thing was that they tried the old "we're out of the $50 wine you chose so I brought you this one without telling you it's $150". No such luck for them, because, and this is the MOST important point, I'VE BEEN TO HUNDREDS OF HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS BEFORE and been satisfied and grown accustomed to how things are done.

So, knowing that the management will read this and try to dismiss my opinion(s) as "maybe you just don't get the concept" trust me, I get it. You're trying something new. Good for you.

I won't be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrCMiller
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear DrCMiller,
As you already know, we read all the feedbacks because they are an opportunity for us to improve and make sure to provide a better experience. We have two hotels on site and their suites are not the same design/concept in order to please all tastes. If we would have been aware of your deception regarding our bathroom, we would have been delighted to offer you to stay in our other hotel: with closed bathroom.
Having three restaurants on site is again in order to please all tastes. The ROK is clearly one of our most liked restaurants, but we understand that it cannot satisfy all our customers. Our popular Flank Steak at the Bistro 260° could have been another option to please you better.
Mr DrCMiller, we honestly wish to have another chance to impress you. It is a fact that knowing you better can help us to guide you through our services and facilities.
Best regards,
Maude Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited for one night on Labour Day weekend. The hotel doesn't particularly suit my style, but I must say that the design of the mini-suite rooms is great. Great layout, nice kitchenette, gas fireplace as the centrepiece, and really huge terraces/balconies. The gf described it as "a W on a budget". Note that if you take a "Golf View" room, you'll be overlooking the massive parking lot on the rear end of the hotel (apparently there's a golf course somewhere near the parking lot, but you won't see it from your room.)

The staff at this hotel, though, is brutal. Sat down on the terrace of their restaurant 260 for some small bites and wine right after we checked in. The server didn't speak a word of English, and looked terrified and pretty much ran away when I asked her for a wine list. Another server returned (also, no English) took our food orders; still no wine list at that point, so we ordered a glass of rosé and one of Pinot noir, blindly. A half hour later, our food arrived but still no sign of any drinks; no wine, not even water. Asked again, to no avail. Wandered in and came across a gent with a blazer and a name tag, who told me he was the manager. I told him about our apparently unheard-of desire to have wine with our small meal. Ten minutes later, still nothing, so we walked out. To be chased down the hall by the server who was distressed, and repeating in French, "but I have your wine right here!" I told her it was too late, and we kept walking. She was babbling about us having to talk to her manager; I just laughed and kept walking. Told the front desk that we had walked out, gave our room number, and said it was the worst service I'd come across in some time; that it was totally unacceptable.

No follow-up from the hotel; no apology, no make-good — not even a phone call. And that says it all.

Having dinner at the hotel later that evening was entirely out of the question, so we went into town and dined at the stellar Bistro à Champlain. What a gem.

Anyway, this morning's attempt to get brunch at the hotel was only slightly less infuriating than the prior days experience. We did, however, eventually get served. The food was barely passable.

This hotel thinks it's fancy and luxe, however it's just a thin facade for a place that's equipped only to serve French-speakers who might not have any idea what good service (or good food) is. If you're coming from further afield than Montreal, stay somewhere else. What could have been a nice experience was totally crushed by shockingly bad service and total indifference.

Under no circumstance would I recommend this hotel to anyone, for anything.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ceej3
M. Ceej3,
We are truly sorry for your experience that obviously did not reflect our standards. Your feedback is really important and we would like to prove you that you can have a totally different experience at the Esterel Resort if you allow us to welcome you back.
You definitely will find bilingual employees in all departments and delicious food in your plate.
We know that you were very pleased with the accommodations and the site. We are confident of our improvement and our success if you give us another chance.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

You can hardly be closer to a lake than this. The view is amazing. We went there with family and had a room with 2 beds. The room is spacious, superbly designed. The fireplace in the middle of the room is a charm and the little kitchen and dining room simply makes you feel like home. What not to love ? You just wish there would be more activities closer to their location. Uh, maybe not, as it would become impossible then to have a room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fcadieux
Dear fcadieux,
We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay and that our accommodations suit you and your family perfectly. We really hope to welcome you back. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Best regards,
Reviewed August 22, 2013

great hotel, newly renovated, amazing gastronomy in a lovely surrounding

service needs to be improved

awful valet service but again not a major issue, they are rood and not helpful
they are three restaurants wich are all fantastic, the quality of the food at the rock restaurant and l ultime are 5 star, service is slow but since you are ina wonderful relaxing environment you really don t mind waiting and the quality of the meals at very good prices is well worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear robert2690,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take guest comments very seriously and we will do our best to improve our service in order to reach guest expectations.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I attended a business meeting at Esterel where i stayed overnight in the emotion wing of the resort. the staff did an excellent job organizing the day, with fun events...Dinner was superb and their knowledge of wine is quite deep. The room has a strong contemporary flair and very spacious.Checking was quite fast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sb630131
Hello sb630131,
It is a pleasure to know that we reached your expectations and that you enjoyed every service of our facilities. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Regards,
Candiac, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I when to Esterel Emotion. The suite we had on the 4th floor with view on the spa/pools and lake was fantastic. The food a the ROK restaurant was perfect and it is fun to have your steak served on hot rocks. My wife claims she had the best massage of her life at the spa. Very romantic place with lots of activities.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side have fantastic view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pascal T,
We are delighted to know that your wife and yourself had a very good time on our resort. We will make sure to post your review internally; it is always nice to be flattered.
Kindly,
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I went to this resort for an overnight business retreat and stayed at the Emotion wing of the hotel. The room was very comfortable with a great view over the lake. Meeting room was bright and spacious. My wife went to the spa while I was in meetings and said she had a throughly relaxing and enjoyable experience. After the meetings we rented a pontoon boat and went for a sunset cruise around the lake, which is stunning. Ate at the Rok restaurant where the food and wine were absolutely five-star. The whole experience was fantastic and I will definitely be back with my wife for a weekend getaway. Would highly recommend this place for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you M. Mark P for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are truly happy to know that you wish to come back again. It is the best gift you can give us.
Maude Y.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esterel
Hotel Spa Chateau Sainte-Adele
#2 of 4 in Val David
Excelsior Hotel Spa Sainte-Adele
Excelsior Hotel Spa Sainte-Adele
#5 of 11 in Sainte-Adele

Been to Esterel Resort? Share your experiences!