“Nice rooms but very bad service”
Review of Esterel Resort

Esterel Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Esterel
Reviewed February 19, 2013

After visiting Estrimont many times, my boyfriend and I decided to visit Esterel. I have been wanting to go for a long time and was very excited. After the 1.5 hour drive we arrived a little after 3pm and were simply told our room was not ready. We were not informed that we could use the Nordic spas in the mean time and were pretty much shooed away. Feeling kind of weird we just sat on the couch and waited with all the other guests who lingered not knowing what to do. Finally at 4pm we got our room key and went up to the 5th floor. Once we opened the door the first thing I saw was the snow piled up about 3 or 4 feet against the patio door. As a smoker I often look for suites with a balcony so I don't have to always leave the hotel. Upon further inspection I found the whole carpet was soaked and the moldings around the door and windows were brown and warping from the snow. I called the front desk, explained the situation and all she said she could do was send someone up with a shovel. Almost an hour later a guy shows up and his words were "Maudit tabernac" he tried to shovel the very hard snow and managed to create a very tiny space while getting snow all over the living room floor. My boyfriend handed him a tip and he never even said thank you but just closed the door. We soon realized that the room beside us had the same problem and those guests got to change rooms while we were told we couldn't. It was strange because. our balcony and the one next to us seemed to be the only ones inundated with snow. After a very disappointing check-in we were left in our room which we payed full price for with a wet floor :( I just wonder if we would have received better service had we been Francophone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cara_buckman
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Cara_buckman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the disappointing situation you lived. Let me assure you that this is not a reflection of how most of our guests experience our hotel and service, and we surly want every customer to leave happy. Therefore, your comments were immediately shared with all the proper departments so this situation would not happen again. Please note that we teamed up with ‘La commission scolaire des Laurentides’ in order to improve our standards and to give every employee a professional formation about guest service.

Although we cannot do anything to change your experience, we truly do hope that you would consider giving us another chance to be able to show you our usually high standards of guest service.

Once again, please accept our apologies and do we hope to welcome you back to the Estérel
Resort in the near future.

General Manager assistant

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel is very modern and sophisticated. It has very cozy rooms,with a fireplace and even nespresso coffee machines.bathrooms have great soakers baths .The lake is two feet away and in the winter is great for outdoor activities.the food at the bar and restaurant is quite good.
I was there for work retreat/meeting,the conferences are quite big and comfortable.there is a spa which I didn't have a chance to use.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake have a gorgeous view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear DdalyDalyconsulting,

We are pleased that you shared your great experience and that you enjoyed our hotel and facilities. We hope to see you again in a leisure getaway in order for you to maybe try our relaxing Nordic spa!

Best regards,

Maude Y
General manager assistant

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I just recently stayed at the Esterel Resort in the new 'Emotion' wing. It was super modern - good sized rooms, lovely bathrooms, great fireplace in the middle of the room which you can see when you slide back the doors from the bathroom. Our room also had a kitchenette which was great but useless b/c there was no store on site to buy little food items that you could actually put in your mini fridge or toast in your toaster oven. There was an abundance of spirits and a bottle of wine but again zero snacks - only thing was a vending machine with your typical bags of candy etc. If they were to open a hotel store with magazines, basic food items incl cheeses etc I'm sure they'd have lots of takers.

Food was good overall and the breakfast buffet was quite substantial.

In terms of the staff - I'd agree with another reviewer who said they were either interested or not - not what you expect from the front desk in particular. Overall - the hotel was nice and I'll be back b/c of the group event I was attending will be hosted there again next year but if I had a choice not sure I'd vote to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Pinkblonde
Esterel39, GM Assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Pinkblonde,
Thank you for your great comments on the rooms and its beautiful design. We take note of your review about the lack of a food store on site. The village of Sainte-Marguerite-du-lac-Masson is only a few minutes drive away where you can find accommodation stores, DVD rentals, gas station, drug store, etc.

If you do not feel like getting out, our resort offers three different styles of restaurants, room service and vending machines for guests who crave quick snacks.

We are sorry that you experienced some non professionalism from our staff, but I assure you that we took initiative on this matter. We teamed up with ‘La commission scolaire des Laurentides’ in order to improve our standards and to give every employee a professional formation about guest service.

We hope you will see you again in summer.

General manager assistant

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Esterel suites for New Years Eve.

Although the suites, restaurant, and outdoor spa are beautiful, the service was unfortunately 2/10. The hotel staff is disorganized, unwelcoming, and quit frankly rude.

This hotel is beautiful and well designed. However be prepare for subpar service and extra charges left and right. 10$ extra for this, 5$ extra for that...a 25$ service charge added to the restaurant meal, and then taxed on top of that.

When I ordered room service I ended paying 25$ for a sandwich. I felt really ripped off.

When we mentioned to a restaurant manager an error on our bill at supper she was extremely aggressive and unprofessional. During the argument she told a guest to "shut up". Never have I seen this in my life. I was shocked.

Overall, I would have loved to come back and visit again, but at this point the level of service quality has turned me off.

Room Tip: when booking a suite, book lake view for a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sara_krejcikova
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear sara_krejcikova,
We are sorry to learn that our staffs and services did not meet your expectations and was even rude; we can assure you that we have taken initiatives and actions right after reading your comments. In fact, we started last December a yearlong training associated with La commission scolaire des Laurentides to improve our standards. This training is given to all employees and management.
We strongly believe that there is no reason why a manager has answered back to a guest and investigation has been started.
As for the extras, we adjusted ourselves. We are now explaining to our guests the extras when they are ordering. For that matter, there are no more surprises on the invoice.
We would like to thank you for your review that gives us the chance to be better and we wish to see you again in order to regain your confidence.
Regards,

Maude Y

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I knew l'Esterel had undergone renovations, but I was still very impressed. It was very mordern. The bathroom in our suite was very stylish, not to mention the lovely fireplace in the middle of our room. As for the food, it was delicious. We had five services and they even gave us a surprise appetizer. All the staff was nice, from the lady at the front desk to the waiters...My spouse and I really enjoyed our stay and we highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a garden view, but we would have preferred a lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Esterel39, Assistant of the General Manager at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Nadine B,
We are delighted to know that your stay was at your level of expectations.
If you liked the bathroom in Estérel, you will adore the one in our new hotel named “emotion”: a sliding panel opens to give you a view on the three-sided fire place. It is a: “wow”!
Your positive comment has been transferred to the Estérel team and I take the lead to thank you from all of us.
Wishing to see again!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Esterel Suite Spa & Lac a Saturday night for a wedding in October 2012. Overall, our stay was great... The rooms are spacious, well designed, well equipped. The only down side is the Queen bed which in my opinion should be replaced by a King bed. The service is above reproached and every staff member was very welcoming and friendly while being very professional. The hotel was fully booked and we were very surprised to see how quiet our room was all night long, knowing 3 weddings were taking place at the same time on location.
As we were attending a wedding on location, I can say the food we had at the wedding was excellent. This is somewhat an accomplishment as we were over 175 guests attending.
The location is spectacular and if you can you should reserve a room facing the lac.

1  Thank Karlos2334
Esterel39, GM assistant at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Karlos2334,
Thank you for your great review. I am happy that you enjoy your stay with us. Weddings are always a good reason to recreate a sweet and positive vibe. It is important for us (the host) that everybody feels comfortable and specially being able to relax in their room when the night is over.
I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that our brand new hotel named emotion and situated on the same site as Estérel, will be all equips with King Bed. And soon, as a guest, you will be able to use our new Nordic spa featuring a panoramic 4-season pool, a summer pool, huge outdoor hot tubs, dry sauna, steam sauna, lounging area and natural beach!
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you again,
Regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed for 2 night at the beinning of the month. We did splurged (had the kobe beef at dinner, ordered great bottles of wine, had sparkling wine delivered to us at night in the room), but even if we wouldnt have, the quality of customer service , the view and the many amneties make it that even if u don't splurge, you cannot, not have a great time.

We've travelled before and have been in contact with many customer representatives, but i have to asmit that their Maitre D and Helene in the restaurants as well as girl who checked us in (Joelle i think) and managed to get us a table at 7:30 when we had forgotten to reserve are top notch

It was expensive, very expensive for a 2 day w-e (if u include the splurging) but when you get that kind of quality, i dont mind paying for it!

1  Thank Hourray
Esterel39, Assistant General Manager at Esterel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Hourray,
I am writing you a quick note to let you know how your comment is greatly appreciated.

You splurged yourself with our best products that we are proud to have for those who seek to spoil themselves. Our variety of products is one of our key of success to satisfy everyone in every context.

I am very pleased that our staffs went over your expectation and note that your comment went to their director in order to encourage the continuity of their good work.

Hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again,

Maude Y.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Esterel
Hotel Spa Chateau Sainte-Adele
#2 of 2 in Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson
Hotel Le Chantecler
Hotel Le Chantecler
#8 of 11 in Sainte-Adele

Been to Esterel Resort? Share your experiences!