“What a rip-off”

Hostellerie Baie Bleue
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We wanted a place to stop at between Percé and Saint-Andrews and that hotel looked good on their web site. What a disaapointment. For $175 (with taxes), you get a "glorified" cheap motel room. Extremely small with an air conditioning unit in the window that couldn't cool down our room and was very noisy. They claim they have "free wi-fi" in the rooms!! It is true but it was slower than the old dial-up connections we had ages ago! We were on the ground floor and had to share a bench with the room next door. All-in-all, avoid this place. Drive an extra hour and stop in Campbelton, NB instead.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The service was very good when we arrived.
I can tell the room we were in was updated. I had nicer places but not bad. Air conditioning was good, clean, comfortable beds. My only complaint is that the balcony is in DIRE need of painting and no refrigerator in the room. We were in room 38 on the second floor.
There were no ice buckets in the room but when I asked down at the receptionist, they gave me as much as I wanted in an ice bucket so sometimes we just need to ask.
We took the breakfast and supper package and were impressed by the food. Top quality and very high end. The service was very slow for the older couple we were traveling with. It took 30 minutes for the waitress to come and take our order. We paid $52.00 for it each with tip included even though the waitress was not shy to tell us that there were no tip on the drinks.
The hotel we were told has existed for 60 years so it makes sense that some renovations need to be done to keep it up to par.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Firstly, the other reviews will seem to be much more critical and much less complimentary. I am not sure if others actually stayed at the same hotel.

The Baie-Bleue is a combination Hotel, motel, and convention center. There are small and large meeting rooms, and the place seemed busy and popular, even in early March when I stayed there. I was there with four other co-workers on a weeklong business trip in the area.

Checkin was quick and efficient, the desk clerks throughout our stay were more than accomodating. We were given rooms on the 3d and top floor of the main building, facing the Baie des Chaleurs. The water view was nice, and must be spectacular in the summertime.
The room was basic, but all ammenities were of quality. The room had a good sized small fridge, desk, two lounge chairs, and a combination closet-dresser. The only thing that was lacking was a microwave oven, which I find in most good hotel rooms.
The bed was very comfortable, above average. Maid service was done a little later in the day (very early aft). Thw washroom was adequate, water pressure was great, though a new shower head was due in my room.

Maybe the hotel has had a refurbishment of the rooms, as I found none of the negatives mentioned in earlier reviews. The carpet was newer and clean. The room smelled clean as well. The heater and thermostat worked well, and there looked like a new air conditioning unit installed, though we certainly didn't need it in March.

Finally, the pub downstairs was terrific. The menu was varied with everything from steak, to Fajitas, to Smoked Meat sandwiches, to seafood to pizza and burgers. The steak was excellent, as were the Fajita plate. Only the pasta dishes were less than satisfying in the size of the plate. All the locals around Carleton said it was the best pub food in town. We ate there most nights, as the food was good and we didn't feel the need to seek out other eateries. Prices were slightly higher than other places, but the quality and freshness more than made up for it. Don't hesitate to eat there.

All in all, a wonderful 6 day stay, no complaints. I would stay here agin without question.

Room Tip: 3d floor room in the main building are clean, modern, and have a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ATidalBore
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Basic room, small flatscreen TV. $110 for my 'business' class room. I set the Themostat to 30 degrees celsius and 24 hours later the room went from 20 to 24 degrees. There is a large noisy AC in the room, so summer would be OK, but freezing in the winter. I enjoy the Pub St Francis downstairs, a restaurant with a good variety of pub fare. The front desk was kind enough to switch my room to ensure my comfort, but the next room never passed 23 degrees on a cold winter day either. Good value however.There is no spa, so I've rated it 'average'.
This is a gorgeous little lakeside town, very vibrant in the summer, dead in the winter except for snowmobilers.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at the hotel because it had a pool and we have 2 children -- ages 6 and 8. Unfortunately, on the only day with good weather, the pool was closed! The person at the desk told us that there was no lifeguard since she got "called away to Quebec." It was only when I said I was going to write a Trip Advisor review did he discount the room rate by $20. Small consolation. The restaurant and room was nice though. I wouldn't go back since I would be concerned about whether there really was a pool available.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel - at least the room that we paid $150 for - was such a HUGE disappointment!!!!

The place looks quite nice from the outside BUT our room - on the water - was old + stank like mildew + had stained sheets and carpets + outdated and dirty furnture + tacky wallpaper + a bathroom that was falling apart + no A/C + no Wi-Fi + a TV that belonged in a museum + VERY loud noise from the street (the windows had to be kept open as the room was a sauna - even though it wasn't an overly hot day) + winos drinking and smoking on the balcony etc etc etc and ALL for the INSANE price of $150!!!!

After checking in to this disaster we asked to get our $$$ refunded and tried to leave - only to be told that that was not possible.....I will be seeing the manager in the AM.

WE have travelled across Quebec for the past 2 weeks and stayed in places twice as nice (including waterfront room with incredible views - ie. Percy Rock) for WAY less money.

After checking in I drove to some nearby hotels/motels to try and find other accomodations and everyone in the area spoke very negatively of this establshment.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this place at all costs!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TyDy76
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I selected this hotel based on their webpage and having driven by it numerous times. It is the worse hotel/motel I have stayed at in a long time. For $135.00 you would expect a bit more than this. The carpet is stained, should have been changed years ago, the bathroom is from the 1950's and the worse is the smell, this place reekes of smoke and people are still smoking in the rooms. The noise level is to high, I've been awake since 3:00 a.m.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bernieFredericton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carleton-sur-Mer
Hotel Le Manoir Belle Plage
#6 of 11 in Carleton-sur-Mer
Gite des Oiseaux Migrateurs
Gite des Oiseaux Migrateurs
#5 of 11 in Carleton-sur-Mer

Been to Hostellerie Baie Bleue? Share your experiences!