“New Years 2013 at Ripplecove Inn”

Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ayer's Cliff
Montreal, Canada
“New Years 2013 at Ripplecove Inn”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked 2 nights at this Inn and most likely will not go back. The Inn is very beautiful, clean, peaceful, and accommodating. However, for the price, it was a little lacking. The food was very good the first night, although my husband who weighs about 220 at 6 ft tall, was never fed enough. Myself, an active 48 year old, found the food good but barely enough. For instance, when you serve rolls, in order to avoid waste or save $$ , they personally offer you 1 at a time. The new years dinner, was very lacking. They tried to serve 110 guests, and it was not successful. I ordered the Elk, (only 2 choices for entree) , and it was cooked ok but very tough - was supposed to be local and fresh but doubt it very much. Dont forget we were paying top dollar for this meal. All meals were served on cold plates: the soup was luke warm and tasteless; the other courses forgetable. It took way too long between courses to be served-- at least 20 minutes. This gets long for 5 course meal.
THE BAND: Oh my goodness, thank god for the piano player! I probably would have had to change our seating. The vocalist, while pretty, coughed during the first song, then barely had enough strength to make the evening, or she just couldnt project her voice, (we sat directly in front of her). The other singer (/drum player) was not a vocalist, to say the least - but i think had to sing to give the main vocalist a break-- too bad. Song choices were ok and didnt stop people from dancing. I guess I expect a little more when we are charged extra for the band! Terrible.
I was very disappointed not to skate -- being on the lake, there had been no snow clearing - with this cold spell there was no reason for this! So then I wanted to go dog sledding which was listed as a great activity-- They told me sorry - not offered at this time -- a sad explanation.
What was offered, which was the save of the trip was a great exclusive excursion of a two team black horse drawn wagon of the little area we were in. The driver was very experienced (as I know horses), the horses were especially well looked after, coats were gleaming, well fed, exercised, these beautiful Freisians (a cross between Persians and something else? forgot) were the highlight of our trip.
The hot tub is something I looked forward to, outdoors. I have been in many, - this one was not as hot as they are supposed to be. It was prefab. Not a good quality one either. Again, for the money - disappointing.
Overall, disappointing. Lacked enthusiasm for a New Years Eve party from the staff- The general manager wasnt even there, only saw him new years morning at breakfast, trying to excuse a problem that occured during the party for a couple that paid $$ for wine and it was not good, they had a hard time getting a different bottle. They were disappointed as well.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that is looking over the lake. No need to get a suite -
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank monica s
Ripplecove, Owner at Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Monica S from Montreal,
We sincerely thank all guests for their feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not to your liking. Our ultimate goal is always to ensure that our guests’ needs are fully met and that their stay is everything that they expected it to be.
With regards to your experience in the dining room, it would have been our pleasure to serve you more bread, or larger portions if we had known that our standard did not meet your needs. The New Year’s eve gala was created as a “gastronomic event” which explains why the services were spaced out over the evening. However, some of our guests had communicated to us that they preferred to be served with less than 20 minute intervals between courses, a request we happily fulfilled and would have certainly done the same for you had we known.
Regarding the band, we were surprised to read your review as they have become a favourite over the last few years with our guests. In fact, the band is often requested by weddings and annual corporate events.
Regarding your comment about our general manager, he was in the dining room all evening and left the Inn after 3am. Then back again, in the morning during the breakfast hours. The positive compliments that we receive personally regarding his managerial skills are never-ending.
Regarding the outdoor activities, we thank you for your appreciation of the wonderful horses and their owner. Always, a winter favourite!
We are as sorry as you when we recently learned that the company offering dog-sled rides in the region had just closed its doors. Of course, this was beyond our control. As for skating on the lake, for security reasons, we do not advocate it. There are, however, 2 nearby skating centers that guests thoroughly enjoy; the village skating rink (3 minutes away) and the beautiful skating promenade along the Memphrémagog lake, only 15 minutes away.
As for the temperature of the outdoor hot tub, we apologize that it was not to your liking. We will survey this more closely.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. We wish you and your family a healthy and happy 2013.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Quebec
Reviewed December 10, 2012

It was 12 years since our last stay at the Ripplecove and it was for our engagement. We were worried that the place might have downgraded somewhat. Fortunately, the Auberge has retained its magic. The welcome was heartwarming, with Evelyn at the front desk making sure everything was all right and even offering us an upgrade since it was for our engagement anniversary! The staff was extrememly friendly, most knew us by name. No peeling paint, no dust bunnies anywhere, the place is kept in superb shape. And what to say about the beautifull bar by the lake! The new spa is a nice improvement, with a jacuzzi available to residents, even if they don't go to the spa. The meals at the restaurant are simply the best: savoury, fresh and visually tempting. The Ripplecove is truly my favorite place, I wonder what took me so long to get back, but I wont wait another 12 years, that for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms which overview the lake, most are deluxe rooms with a fireplace. Or else, there i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank camper222
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We visited the Auberge in September. This was our fourth time, which should speak for itself. The inn is a great place to get away from it all. The staff is friendly and helpful and the cuisine as superb as ever. We had the good fortune to be upgraded (for the same price) to a unit with balcony overlooking Lake Massawippi. For activities there is cycling to the Vermont border, kayaking on Lake Massawippi and a trip to the monastery at Saint-Benoit-du-Lac.

PS: I can't take credit for the title. It was taken from a brochure.

Room Tip: Some superior rooms have lake view, others don't. State your preference. The price is the same
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LakeSuperior72
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived for the Columbus Day weekend. The fall foliage view of the trees and lake were as breathtaking as promised. We took the MAP plan which resulted in a sumptuous breakfast and a French dinner the equal of the best New York has to offer. It's proximity to the U.S. border was a plus. It was well worth the ride.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank hueloman
Grand Montréal (great Montreal)
Reviewed October 25, 2012

You know, there are some places (not too many though) in the world where you feel so good, where everything seems so perfect!
Ripplecove is one of them. The location is perfect, the rooms are awesome, the view on the lake and the mountains is amazing and the service is so great!!!
Not to mention the incredible marble and huge shower we had in our room!

The only downside (if there is one:)) is the costly dinner but it is fine cuisine in a chic country classic decor and I heard that they have one of the biggest wine cellar in Canada...

Thank you for your hospitality.
Look forward to go back!

Room Tip: no. 32 with the incredible shower :):)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Went to spend a week-end with my spouse. First evening, the dinner was very good. The second night, they must have brought in a different chef but our steaks were terrible!!! For the price you pay, you expect consistent quality...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank World_Traveler007_12
Cowansville, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just spent the weekend at the Ripplecove to celebrate 30th anniversary.
A beautiful inn in a beautiful location. Staff friendly. Food is a dining experience, absolutely loved the 7-course gourmet supper with wine pairing. The little details tie the experience together....or break it. Communication was lacking between staff for my dream weekend away, which was a surprise for my husband.
We were shown to our room where sparkling wine and chocolates waited to greet us (part of the romantic getaway package), only the sparkling wine was not there. This was corrected immediately. We enjoyed the lake view from our balcony until supper then enjoyed a delicious meal.
Next morning at breakfast, we were not seated immediately - there were plenty of tables available - but instead were asked to wait for a table to be readied. OK, nice gesture to make sure we were seated at the window but would it not be better to ask? No explanation as to what was included in the package: cold buffet, hot plate or both?
At 15:30 arrived at the spa for scheduled treatments, my husband was taken on time, I had to wait 15 minutes.
At supper the second night, I had arranged in advance for the 7 course meal with wine pairing. I was taken by surprise when we were given menus and asked what type of beverage we wished to have to celebrate with: sparkling wine, wine, champagne? We asked for a few minutes, thinking there was a choice for the 7 course - there was not - and when the server returned indicated our choice for the 7 course with wine pairing. The meal, wine, presentation and wine explanations were a dining experience! My husband and I both enjoyed this very much and would recommend it. Then the bill came. Why a bill ? I had had this included in the package. When I mentioned my confusion on receiving a bill, they explained my package did not include the meal we just enjoyed and there was a surcharge. I explained I had this included when I made the reservations in August. I was then asked to accompany the server to the main desk to sort it out. Sigh.... We did however, get a tour of the wine cellar that my husband had requested during our supper. When checking out the next morning, it seemed a bill was missing.................
well the gates opened and all the little 'hiccups' of the weekend were listed - with the exception of being taken to the main desk after supper the night before - by now I just wanted to get out. The person handling my checkout apologized and mentioned the staff was only human. Yes, this is true however, because I am not a seasoned traveler, I researched inns and resorts before making my choice: confident my 'perfect' weekend was in reach with Ripplecove Inn, winner of 5 diamond awards. It was not to be and the price tag associated with the weekend, just way too high.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Orford
Hotel Le Floral
Hotel Le Floral
#1 of 16 in Sherbrooke

Been to Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!