“A wonderful meal - we hope to go again soon”

21 Breakwater Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Souris
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were sooo lucky that someone cancelled and we got in for a 6:15 PM sitting. It is not a large restaurant, and they seem very careful about quality, so they keep it manageable. We were a party of four. Three ordered the salad and I never heard such rousing reviews for a salad. Several declared it was the best they'd ever eaten. I ordered the bar clams - tender pieces, accompanied with triangles of delicious garlic bread and about 20 small pieces of wonderful cheese. We all ordered the evening special of grilled halibut. We were impressed with the $15.95 price tag for Halibut. It was a large piece, with visible grill marks. The fish was accompanied with carrots and potatoes and a small piece of corn cob drizzled with the most amazing herb butter. My boyfriend said he could not believe how delicious the simple carrot could be! Nice portion size. We had a lovely young girl wait on us, and we were visited by the owner, who was also serving. Everyone was friendly, and we had a stunning view of the Souris Harbour from our table. We could see the owners have to turn away about a dozen hopeful diners who did not have reservations. The desserts looked lovely, but we were too full. The menu is relatively limited to 3 or four entrees, but the quality is so high, you won't miss choosing one thing from 4 or from 12. We loved the atmosphere, the care and attention to detail, and how committed to a great dining experience everyone was. Bravo to a new restaurant that just opened in June 2012!

1  Thank AtlCanTraveller

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Wonderful restaurant. The menu is a bit limited (4 entrees at lunch + 2 more in the evening), but the amount of flavour that this chef can infuse into something as simple as grilled chicken and salad defies all logic. The mussels are served with an amazing herb-lime butter and perfectly grilled bread. Great to share as an app, or order with a side of fries for lunch. For dessert, try the ice-cream with caramel-rum sauce. In addition to the wonderful food, the venue itself is beautiful. Call ahead for a reservation on the deck which has a beautiful water view, or enjoy the tasefully decorated dining room. I enjoyed the first visit so much that I returned a week later, even though it is a 2-hour drive from my home. It is open year-round (unlike many restaurants on PEI), but is closed on Sundays. Prices are very reasonable, as are portion sizes.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

First time I went took a flyer, having been warned I would probably need a reservation, that was the case! The second time I went, with a reservation - and was pleasantly surprised, the food was good. Some things were deemed better than others... the scallops were excellent, the fish and chips seemed a bit of a disappointment to the fish and chip connoisseur. The raspberry desert was rated a bit ordinary but the chocolate bread pudding was rated as excellent! Would I go back...certainly. Nice setting, nice view and the service was excellent. Oh yes, and reasonably priced.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Four of us drove from Charlottetown to eat at Breakwater 21. It was a great experience. We had a table out on the deck and it was a beautiful evening with a wonderful view All four of us ordered the the braised beef for entree and the bread pudding for desert. Both were excellent.Service was very good and we plan to return again very soon.

1  Thank Addie100
Reviewed August 7, 2012

21 Breakwater Resturant, just opened three weeks ago. if you are on the East side of PEI it should be your go to resturant. Met several locals enjoying the porch. If your visiting and staying mid-Island, it's worth the trip. View is lovely and the resturant open and airy. I don't usually like mussles but had to have them while in PEI. I'll be hooked if they all taste this good. tiny mussles in a great brooth and lime butter dip. Scallops with roasted veggie, a fresh twist on Rattatouille was mouth watering. Portuguese fish & chips was excellent. Not the bready fried fish you might be thinking of, marinated then baked & served with skinny fries hot and well done, as I like them. We're going back at least one more time while here. OH, and what a value!

1  Thank kathy p