“A lovely spot with friendly, helpful staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Singing Sands Inn

Singing Sands Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Souris B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“A lovely spot with friendly, helpful staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Singing Sands Inn this past summer. The food was delicious, the pool was clean and inviting and the beach was GORGEOUS. The rooms are simple, but VERY clean and the staff are lovely, helpful people who will do whatever they can to ensure a memorable trip. A great spot for all vacationers to stop on the Island.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room with a fridge/microwave if you need one. Not all rooms have a/c, but this is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank A2Canada

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

First off, flat screen tv, great food, super friendly staff, beautiful views!

Now for the rest:
I came to PEI to do some genealogy research with my dad and my sister. Within minutes of entering the lobby/ dining area, the owner of the Singing Sands Inn was on the phone and finding resources for me. He even called a local genealogist and because of his help I found what I was looking for the next day. I've been waiting for at least 15 years to go to PEI and after a 20 hour drive to get to PEI the help I received here really allowed me and my dad to be able to realize a dream we've had for a long time. I can't say enough about how friendly the owners are here. They make dinner for you, and I mean MAKE dinner, my salad even had blueberries on it and the lasagna was delicious!

Also, they directed us to the beach, which is gorgeous. At first I thought that the inn was too far out of the way, but then i realized that the drive was nice, I got to see more of the island that I wouldn't have seen, and I love the peace and quiet there.

If you're looking for the Marriott or the Hilton, then go there. But if you're looking for a place to stay that isn't a chain, where the staff works their behinds off to be helpful and hospitable, where the views are gorgeous and the food fantastic, where the helpfulness of the staff goes above and beyond, a place where you can relax and be a peace, and where you can feel safe then I highly recommend the Singing Sands Inn in Souris.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Vnolan27
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked an early season stay and found this place very worthwhile. Although weather was not great (nobody's fault!), we had the beaches to ourselves (Red Point and Little Harbor are close to Basin Head and you can camp/picnic/party at either), were in good proximity to Small Hall events, and were treated so well by the McCallum family. The breakfast was a refreshing change from the sharp elbows deal we're used to- folks were engaging and friendly, encouraged by Don. Importantly, coffee is good.
View from our room was beautiful, the labyrinth fun & unique, the pool was perfectly bracing on the one warm day we had, and the value overall excellent. You don't get the stale cigarette, stained linen thing at all here, so never mind the disdaining comments. It isn't a new place, but it is entirely clean and quiet. Great hosts!

Room Tip: We imagine our room, #12, has the best view, but how do we know?
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dave W
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed here for two nights and was very happy with the choice. The inn's decor is more "vintage" than "antique" but the room was very clean, quiet and comfortable, with a small fridge and a spacious bathroom. The view from the window towards Basin Head Beach was spectacular. The beach is lovely and only a short drive away. The breakfast was fairly basic, but welcome because this is a very quiet part of PEI and there aren't many restaurant options nearby. (Tip: if you're interested in eating out or shopping, drive to Montague. Souris is a pretty place but doesn't offer much in the way of eating out, although the grocery store on its main street is surprisingly well stocked.) Another thing I liked - a wide variety of books and back issues of the Economist in the breakfast lounge - I'm always looking for something to read!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed during July 2010 for two nights. One night in a room with a kitchen and the next night in a no-kitchen room.

First of all, the building is really, really OLD. You can smell, taste, see and feel the age of the place. The lounge is full of VHS tapes and the insulation is horrible.

Our first room with kitchen pots, pans, utensils, stove, etc was the only one available at the time, but we didn't need any of the stuff. The stove looked like it was from the 1970s. The tv was turn knob style with 2 watchable channels and produced a horrible high pitched whine while on. You cannot watch tv without going crazy from the sound and blurriness.
We tried the internet, it was continually disconnecting and consistently slow and bad.

The unit had cold water condensation all over the washroom floor, luckily we had brought our own slippers. The heating element along the baseboard by the door of the room did not work. The windows let drafts in and bugs as well. My partner couldn't stand all the mosquitoes that got in the room and slept outside in our car for the entire night.

Breakfast was uninspiring, bland and dry. Toast, coffee, juice, muffins and that was it. Rubber processed cheese was available with toast. My wife had the burnt coffee. I filled myself up on juice and muffins.

The second night was slightly better but only marginally so. No heating, but it had less bugs.

We chose this place for its proximity to the Singing Sands beach, but my advice is to stay elsewhere and visit the beach on your travels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank easyHwolf
HoldenNova, Owner at Singing Sands Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
We are clearly accredited as 2 ½ star accommodation and it pleases us that many guests consider us a real find, especially those who enjoy our eight-acre property, the swimming pool, hot tub, and our Kingsboro Labyrinth, the largest Baltic style grass labyrinth in North America. We have lovingly been Innkeepers for 20 years (average 2011 rates for 2: $89.00/night), and it hurts us to be trashed for our vintage VCR tape collection, our old TV’s and humid weather (We wish we could control the weather). The last available unit we had when the couple arrived was an ‘housekeeping unit’, of the kind for many years eagerly sought by those who wanted to cook for themselves (no longer offered). Our complimentary continental breakfast includes juice, cereal, muffins, toast, and cheese slices, popular with many guests from Quebec, coffee and tea. Bacon and Eggs are available for purchase. Perhaps the criticism had something to do with the mosquitoes and such– the “bugs” that are indigenous here -- which brought us to offer an alternate less costly room on our upper level for the second night this couple stayed with us. It saddens us to find unhappiness at a place like this, in the peaceful PEI countryside where it doesn’t really matter whether or not you have traveled the world. We have ourselves, and we are happy to share our Singing Sand s Inn with others who enjoy relaxation and the proximity to the Singing Sands Beach, a white sand beach free of commercialization.

Travelers are raving about these Souris hotels

thegshore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

My family and I traveled throughout PEI and stayed in several towns. Of all our stops, our favourite was at the Singing Sands Inn. The motel is situated in a very quiet part of the island, but you have everything you need nearby. The beach is just down the road (the best beach on the island, in my opinion, and there are a few stores and conveniences closeby in the town of Souris if you need. The staff was very helpful in pointing us toward a great local restaurant (the Sandstone), which is a short drive away.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. They are spacious and have a very nice view. Complimentary breakfast is available in a large dining room which is adjoining a great common room filled with books to share, a large lounge complete with tv and movies.
Just a little added plus, my 5 year old left behind her little teddy bear and when I called the motel upon our return home, the innkeeper said he would gladly mail it back to us. We received it only days later. I would recommend this motel to any family traveling on a budget, who like clean and quiet accomodation near a fantastic beach!
This motel is very family friendly, has an nice outdoor pool and playpark on a large property where kids can run and play.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank thegshore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Souris
Rollo Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Hermanville
The Inn at Spry Point
The Inn at Spry Point
#1 of 1 in Annandale-Little Pond-Howe Bay

Been to Singing Sands Inn? Share your experiences!