“Good food, good view, good service”
Review of Blue Mussel Cafe

Blue Mussel Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Rustico
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Blue Mussel Cafe is a seasonal seafood restaurant located in North Rustico Harbour, PEI just off the beaten path. We specialize in FRESH seafood and strive to provide food that is as fresh and local as possible. We offer a large variety of delicious and wholesome meals with NO deep fried food. We are committed to offering an authentic PEI dining experience and a view that you will never forget!
North Rustico, Canada
“Good food, good view, good service”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This quaint restaurant with picturesque views over Rustico Bay and the harbour is under new management. There are many things right about it - it hasn't any pretensions to be anything other than it is: a restaurant that serves fresh seafood simply but well. The staff and chef so a great job of making guests feel welcome - from a friendly greeting at the door to quick service and attentiveness throughout the meal to a friendly wave as we left, they've definitely got that bit right.

It was a cold rainy evening when we went so I decided to start with a small bowl of clam chowder to warm my innards. And that soup did the job. I hate it when restaurants serve luke warm soup, but this bowl of thick, seafood-filled chowder was piping hot. If I had a niggle, it's that Chef overdid the tarragon. I reckon if you can identify the taste without having to ponder, there's a tad too much. And a bit more ground black pepper would have been good. But that's my personal opinion. Overall, this chowder rocked.

On to the breaded haddock: two large fillets on a bed of lettuce with wedges and al dente veggies. The fish was excellent - not sure about the breading though. The addition of veggies made for a colourful plate which is always important as we "feast with our eyes". I think Chef would do better to cut his veggies a bit smaller but that may be just me.

The only reason I haven't rated the reasonably priced restaurant with 5 stars are the paper napkins, packaged butter and milk/cream. These do smack of "cafeteria" and like PickyDinerYorks has said, this good food deserves better.

None of this would stop me going back. The new owners have got nearly everything right. They just need to fix these little things and they're onto a real winner.

Maui, Hawaii
“Picturesque location to enjoy local seafood”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stopped in here for lunch on a Monday afternoon. The setting couldn't be more quaint a seaside canteen on a bluebird sky day, fishing boats trolling past.
The food was very good - fresh oysters, mussels, chowder and homemade bread.
The service was warm and welcoming and the prices were reasonable. Would definitely recommend.

Driffield, United Kingdom
“Simple but good”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Under new management from 2014 I understand.
A hearty welcome and choice of tables on outdoor decking for a warm evening, nice!
Started off with the Raspberry Point oysters which are "simply the best".
Then for main course the fresh pan fried halibut.
All seafood is fresh, nothing frozen and caught locally.
Service and presentation is ok, but I would expect problems if they get busy.
Wine seemed to be served in resonable portions although I need to confim this.
I suggest they invest in a better class of table napkin, cheap paper ones are a turn off.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank PickyDinerYorks
Trenton
“home cooking at its best”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

New owners and new menu are absolutely heart warming and stomach filling. Seafood chowder is superb- cooked but not mushy potatoes, fresh seafood including mussels, thick chowder. The setting is delightful overlooking the water.

Victoria
“Super discovery - a nice surprise at a lovely part of Prince Edward Island”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The B & B staff where we stayed recommended stopping out at Rustico while we were touring the island. We stumbled on the Blue Mussel Café, just recently taken over by Steve and his wife. While it is in an older building, the restaurant's inside and the ocean facing deck are all freshly painted, and there is a cute seaside mural inside.

Staff are all very friendly, and the food fresh. I'm a vegetarian,so was pleased to see a nice quiche on the menu, which was tasty. My husband was thrilled at all the seafood choices available. (He had the scallops, which he said were good, along with a seafood chowder.)

I quite like the Rustico area -it feels authentic, and not the theme-parkish/ Coney island-esque vibe that you can get from some of the tourist spots. We would eat there again on a future trip to the island and recommend it to others.