“Welcome to Duloc - A Strange 2 Nights”

Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Chicago, Illinois
“Welcome to Duloc - A Strange 2 Nights”
Reviewed September 22, 2008

This place is a bit creepy. We stayed here for 2 nights in late August. Shortly after we checked in, my husband said, "This place is like Duloc," a reference to the Shrek film. Shrek arrives in Duloc and it's very well-kept, but there's no one around. He's welcomed by an automated puppet show, which proclaims "Duloc is a perfect place." Shrek finally finds everyone in the arena - the equivalent of the Crowbush golf course.

There was absolutely no one in the hotel except for a few uninterested staff members. One of the staff told us that the resort is dependent on conventions and we came between groups. Whatever it was, I'm amazed they can keep this place going.

It makes a lovely impression from the parking lot (which was almost completely empty). The grounds were perfectly manicured, everything was very clean, room was sterile but spacious, decent bed, lovely view of the golf course. We stayed in a Deluxe Standard View Room.

This place is truly in the middle of nowhere. We stayed here for 2 nights. I liked the idea of a remote location when I booked it, but the location is confining, and there's not much at this resort. It was chilly so unfortunately, we never made it out to the beach, which is about a 15-minute or so walk from the hotel (past the golf course).

We ate in the clubhouse our first night - nice experience, good food. We did room service the second night, expensive but pretty good. The dining room I wouldn't recommend, at least for breakfast. It was dead, but we couldn't find a waitress throughout the meal, from ordering to getting the check.

When we checked out, there were issues with our bill, because I noticed that our breakfast wasn't on it although we charged it to the room. Not surprisingly, the staff also had difficulty finding the waitress, who had the bill. It took about 10 minutes to sort it out.

The golf course has nice views and is challenging, but the starter was unreasonable. She insisted that we couldn't golf as a twosome, although she admitted that no one was teeing off for 30 minutes in front of or behind us. (It was a cold, windy day.) But when we booked our tee time, the clubhouse had told us that we could play alone if the course wasn't crowded. The starter insisted that we play with a single. Then he called and cancelled. Then, she made us play with a staff member. He was very nice and entertaining, but why couldn't he tee off before us? She said they had a policy that singles aren't allowed to play alone. We pushed her politely, but she insisted that we had to play with him. We would have spent our last day on PEI differently if we had been told upfront about this "policy."

If you do decide to stay here, contact Rodd's 800-number to get a cheaper rate for your room and golf by booking a package. I contacted Crowbush directly and the clubhouse directly, but a staff member told me that it would have been cheaper through the toll-free number. With our rates, it wasn't a good value.

I'll be returning to P.E.I. next summer, but probably won't return to Crowbush, even for the golf.

• Liked — The balcony off our hotel room
  • Disliked — Almost everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank operagirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed for two nights in August in a King room.

The room was awesome! My partner and I slept on the sofa bed and found it incredibly comfortable. Our good friend found the semi-separte bedroom luxurious, and the bathroom was huge, with a jetted tub. The service was exceptional - no waiting for anything. In fact, when I asked the gift shop if they had anything i could seal our half-full bottle of wine with on the day we left, the lovely lady there suggested I speak with the bar. The bartender gave me this great little plastic cork thing that worked perfectly - at no charge.

The grounds are gorgeous. Unfortunatly it was raining all weekend and we got no golf in, and were only able to do one walk on the beach - but it was enough to let the beauty of the grounds infect us, and help us to relax. On our walk, we discovered a raspberry bush and ate a few wild raspberries.

I spent a lot of time in the outdoor hot tub - so relaxing to sit in the jetted water and look out over the golf course.

We ate at both Davids and at the clubhouse. Davids had amazing food, well worth every penny (especially the duck spring rolls). The clubhouse food was fine.

We went there to relax and despite the rain, we were able to. We'll be back to the Rodd Crowbush, perhaps to one of the cute little townhouses we saw.

• Liked — views, proximity to ocean, gorgeous rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MichelleNSam
USA
Reviewed October 25, 2007

This was the second Robb property we stayed at on this trip, and this was by far more worthy of Rodd’s “Signature Resort” status, whatever that is. This resort is very well maintained, with lovely grounds (including the golf course) and convenient access to a long, walkable, and deserted beach. Our room was a huge suite, with a balcony overlooking the golf course and clubhouse. The weather was still warm, so we thoroughly enjoyed the balcony and the views including some beautiful sunsets.

We stayed toward the end of the season about two weeks before the resort closed for the winter. Due to its remote location, the hotel’s restaurant was the most logical place for dinner. However, since the hotel and its restaurants were fairly empty we did not bring high expectations for the variety and quality of the cuisine. Well, we were pleasantly surprised! The kitchen turned out consistently excellent meals. The seafood was fresh and imaginative. The service was attentive and professional.

We drove around much of PEI during our visit here, and ended up being very pleased with our selection of this hotel for our stay. Alternatives considered in Charlottetown and Summerside would have disappointing due to the commotion exiting in those towns. One of PEI’s apparent draws is the laid-back lifestyle, which would have been hard to experience in the big towns. The Crowbush, however, can provide all of the relaxation you could ask for, as long as you don’t get too serious about your golf game. Under the right circumstances this place is a winner!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank EricG
delaware
Reviewed August 27, 2007

We spent 4 nights in the middle of our Nova Scotia/PEI vacation. Having spent the first part at a cottage we wanted the amenities of a resort (housekeeping service, fitness center, etc.) Crowbrush appealed, we don't mind paying for 5 star when we get it. Our complaints 1) very small bedrooms, with a portable crib we could barely walk around. In a standard hotel room we expect this~ 5 star we expected ample living space. 2) Fitness centre facilities ~ equipment RUSTED! and sparse. Looked as if it had been added just to say they had one. The townhouse was very small. For a similar price we have stayed in accomodations in the U.S. twice as big and with many more amenities. Just a big disappointment and frustration for the price we paid. We won't go again.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank karley6180
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I decided to go to PEI last fall on a whim and ended up at Rodd Crowbush because it was one of the only places on the island still open at such late of a date. However, even if I hadn't had slim pickings I think I would have still ended up here.

I booked a single bedroom townhouse, mostly because I was traveling alone and didn't care to announce that status to anyone wanting to look. The townhouses are perfect, mine was the last one in the end of the townhouses closest to the path to the beach. The walk to the beach was a bit of a hike (a mile or so?) but the beach was gorgeous and well worth the walk. I hear the golfing here is supurb but I don't golf so I can't vouch for that! Due to the lack of things being open, I dined in the restaurant often and their food was delicious! Especially their Thanksgiving Dinner! WOW!

I highly reccomend a visit to Rodd Crowbush, especially during the fall when the leaves are turning. I honestly can't imagine anything more beautiful! The mornings in Oct were cool but it got up to the 80's (F) during one of the days!

• Liked — Location and what was all available at the resort (golf, beach etc)
  • Disliked — Price wasn't light on the wallet!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank c0reyann
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 24, 2005

We stayed in a townhouse which was very comfortable and modern. The beach and the pool were almost empty because everyone seemed to be playing golf. The indoor pool was great. We didn't eat here because it seemed expensive. The rooms were very clean. A coffee pot and small refrig came in handy. The staff was not particularly helpful if you wanted to eat off site. For breakfast we went to Joneses (very local and good). I don't think anyone would be disappointed here, especially if you like golf. The course looked fantastic.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2003

A beautiful location with Beach and Golf and a good dining room all wrapped into one modern and efficient facility. Good for families as well as individual parties.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
The Holman Grand Hotel
Rodd Charlottetown
Rodd Charlottetown
#7 of 23 in Charlottetown
Delta Hotels Prince Edward by Marriott

Been to Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!