“Expected more for the price”

Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Boston, Massachusetts
“Expected more for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

PEI was on my 90-year-old mother-in-law’s bucket list so we planned a visit. Couldn’t find many lodging options online, so we went with this resort. With taxes, we paid $425 for a two-bedroom cottage. The cottage was dated and well used. Rather than modern duvet, it had the old bedspreads. We were in the king room and there were two perfect divots in the bed where people lay. The bathroom was dark which was good because the mold around the tub wasn’t as evident. The golf course is beautiful – I would love to golf there, but I would find either a less expensive or more modern lodging alternative. The fire alarm went off at 12:34 and scared us to death. Called the office and they had no idea why. We had a hard time going back to sleep because we were scared there could really be a fire. The desk clerk offered no compensation or apology.

Room Tip: If you get cottage, get it on the beach side so you have a view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank surfinginflorida
jimgertridge, General Manager at Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for you response.
Although these are the comments we do not like to hear, I would appreciate if you would contact me to see what we can do to convince you to be a returning guest to our resort
Feel free to call or email me at the following
jgertridge@roddhotelsandresorts.com
902-961-5600
thank you and look forward to speaking with you
Jim Gertridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

When we checked in (Aug 13) after a long drive from Halifax, the room was not ready even though check in time was 3 pm and we arrived at 330 pm. There were no apologies by the reception - except to say that our family can sit in the lobby while the room is being prepared. I asked if there's a map for us to look around including restaurants or groceries - she reluctantly gave to me one piece of paper and said "yes I can give you this". She didn't volunteered any more info on what the resort has to offer, then moved on to another guests. This is the worst customer service that I've received from a hotel/resort - never mind that it is supposedly a higher end establishment costing over 300 dollars a night. We were treated like this was a cheap motel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank SanJose023
thank you for your comments.
We certainly did not perform to standard and I sincerely apologize for this.
please give me a call as I would like to discuss how to make you a returning guest to our resort

I look forward to hearing from you.
902-961-5600
best regards
Jim Gertridge
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I couldn't have dreamt of a better location for a PEI wedding.
The location, hotel, rooms and staff made sure everything came together for us and all our travelers from the moment they checked in. GM Roch B. was so helpful in the planning and made sure the banquet, food and bev, golf and spa teams aligned with what we requested for our special day/weekend.
The property and all it's amendments caters to couples, families, beach combers and golf lovers.
This is THE best hotel in PEI with a great team behind it.
Thank you so much for making our wedding and our guests stay so wonderful. We'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Loved the cottages! Planning a PEI wedding - this is your place!
1 Thank nic_nmkelly
Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed in three locations in PEI while on a biking vacation and this was our third stop. The location is good close to the Greenwich boardwalk and the best part of the Confederation Trail = Morrel to St. Peter's. The room was pricey for PEI but large, clean, and modern and reasonable for the facilities. We used the hot tub and tennis courts and my husband golfed which were all good. The beach was nice and would be a great place for kids and family to relax. I would avoid the restaurants - both. The meals were mediocre and you can find much better food close by on the island so take the time to drive elsewhere to eat.

Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I got married at Rodd Crowbush almost 2 weeks ago...I live in SK but am from PEI so I was familiar with Crowbush and it was an easy choice for our wedding destination. After spending almost a week there, it felt like home or better yet, like a Caribbean resort. The grounds are beautiful and very clean, the rooms are nice, although it's worth the extra money to pay for a cottage to get the full living experience. We spent 2 nights in a 2 bedroom cottage and the rest in a king suite and I would say we preferred the cottages...more privacy, more room, more amenities etc etc. The beach is beautiful and there are shuttles that will take you back and forth to the hotel but honestly it's only a 13 min relaxing walk, there's also a portapotty down there. The staff really made a huge difference in our experience - they may have been doing their jobs, but you can tell when someone is genuinely happy and they were sooo great. I was always met with a smile by everyone - at first they knew me as "the bride" and helped me with anything I needed, and within a day or so they knew me by name and felt like part of the group. I can't say enough good about the people working there - and it continued. I had forgotten my shampoo and other toiletries when I was switching rooms on the day of my wedding and sure enough, they all arrived in the mail for me today.

Crowbush is well known for golf, and I know a bunch of people from our group did go, but we did not. From the people who did go, I heard the bugs (mostly black flies and mosquitos) were quite bad. This is expected given the time of year, and area.

All in all, we were lucky to have perfect weather for our entire stay but it would not have been the same if we didn't feel so comfortable and welcome on the resort. I highly recommend going to crowbush for vacation or your wedding!

Room Tip: 2 bedroom cottages at the end of the line will have less traffic going back and forth to the beach...
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My friend and I have golfed twice a week at Crowbush for the last five years. We join 8-10 other ladies for nine holes once a week and usually golf with our husbands for our second round of the week. Crowbush Cove is a beautiful, challenging, well kept course with views of the ocean that have to be seen to be truly appreciated...breathtaking. Staff on the course are very friendly and efficient.

We usually go up to the Clubhouse for a meal after our round. The food this year seems to be especially good, tasty with fresh ingredients and a nice selection...the servers are very accommodating of our requests and always prompt and friendly!

I can't end this review without mentioning the "million dollar" view from the balcony of the Clubhouse restaurant, looking over the course and the ocean....truly spectacular!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our first trip to PEI. The resort is lovely - unaffected, wide open space, fabulous beach, a golf course that is well maintained and fun to play with stellar views - friendly staff - and David's, the restaurant, is top class cuisine - wonderfully presented, tasty, and priced very reasonably. Our poodle loved the wide open spaces, and we loved everything. The cottage room was OK - not fantastic - but adequate, and it helped that there was a fridge and bbq should we have been able to tear ourselves away from eating at the restaurant.

Room Tip: With our pet, we were not allowed into the Inn rooms, so perhaps they are a little more "deluxe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
The Holman Grand Hotel
Shaw's Hotel and Cottages
Shaw's Hotel and Cottages
#2 of 2 in Brackley Beach
Dalvay by the Sea Hotel

Been to Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!