“Overrated”

Stratford, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overrated”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I rarely write a review and wish this one were positive. I am a resident of PEI who enjoys taking in the finer dining options that come with tourism's high season. However, I will no longer include Dalvay By The Sea among my points to visit. My reasons for this are simple. I have twice been disappointed by the substandard service, and recently visited for lunch and was unimpressed by the quality of the food. This historic venue has lost its lustre since the change in management some three years ago. It's apparent from the kitsch life-size cut-out of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge that stands next to the front entrance. We arrived a few minutes past the time when lunch service ends. The server made no attempt to check with kitchen staff, despite our obvious desire to stay. We believe a manager voluntarily stepped in to assist with our request. The manager maintained a calm professional manner but the server did nothing to hide her annoyance. Mistakenly, the manager told the same server to take our order. Needless to say, her manner was lacking. But then, so was the server's who waited on us last season. When the food came, we were further let down. If this is the standard the hotel has set for its patrons, buyer beware. We could have had a far better meal in a pub in Charlottetown. This venue smacks of a place that has outlived its reputation and pretends to be something it is not. I say this with sadness because I still remember a time when it did live up to its good name.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank locavorepei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
Montreal
“Should be top notch(Sadly not so!)”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I went there on our last night as a treat.
The food was OK but not up the to prices they charge.
The sea food chowder was watery($16 ouch) and not enough SEA FOOD.
Had a better chowder at Peake's Quay.
My wife had the halibut which was good and I had the
rib eye steak ( $42 ouch ) which was OK but accompanied by nearly raw veggies.
The sticky bun dessert was outstanding, but again($12 ouch)
The waitress was excellent and we had a few laughs.Very cordial.
This place could be one of the finest restaurants on PEI.
Ratchet up the food a few notches because have the location.
Dinner for two with tip $200 A glass of wine is not cheap.

• Visited August 2012
VT
“Lovely!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

High tea at the Dalvay. Just think-maybe Will and Kate sat at our table when they visited last year.

The tea (lady's slipper) was wonderful. The sandwiches were tasty and varied. The scones were dense and flaky, with wonderful cream and lemon curd. So good I ordered more. Second time around dense and hot but not flaky. The sweets were good except the chocolate items- not special. The room was atmospheric- perfect for high tea. The whole experience made me want to get out my teapot, make some cucumber sandwiches on white bread, and invite friends over in the mid afternoon for tea.

Nova Scotia, Canada
“A Culinary Crime...”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We dropped into the Dalvay By The Sea restaurant for lunch, on Sunday. The location is idyllic, and the property is just lovely. The airy restaurant is elegant - as it should be, and the small lunch menu is delicious... sounding.

We started with the soup of the day - a sundried tomato bisque, followed by a gourmet burger, of lamb on focaccia, with mint, and served with polenta fries and a sundried tomato ketchup.

The 'bisque' (a misnomer - it was actually a cream soup) was utterly without seasoning and there was no salt & pepper on the tables, which is a little cocky, implying that everything comes out of the kitchen perfectly seasoned. If only it were so.

The lamb burger was described to us as being prepared "medium" - a proper temperature to serve lamb in this fashion. When it arrived, it was a hard, badly burned, dried-out hockey puck, far beyond well done. What a shame. It was an innovative, winning dish, executed in a losing manner, although the focaccia and polenta fries with the sundried tomato ketchup were perfect.

Lunch at this price-point (almost $100 total - $19 per burger) should be essentially perfect, but it was totally botched, and no effort was made to mitigate. We were greatly disappointed, and saddened that such a grand old PEI institution has abdicated its' responsibility as a culinary ambassador. Shameful.

• Visited August 2012
“Beautiful scenery and good food.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Visiting PEI so we decided to have dinner here. The service was good. Waitress was very attentive and accommodating. Made a special request for ceaser salad and got one even though it wasn't on the menu (thank you chef!). Lobster bisque was disappointing but everything else was delicious. Lobster was divine! The signature date pudding was to die for.