“Not quaint, OLD”

Dalvay by the Sea Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dalvay
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My wife and I just stayed at the Dalvay this past Monday August 23rd, 2010. We were booked for the week but checked out after our first day. I have a long list of issues we ran into, but the lack of everything they have they mark down to character or being quaint, or timeless. HA. We had a room on the second floor #8. After a long day of travel I lied down for a quick rest. To my surprise and disgust I was disturbed by the next door occupant relieveing himself. It sounded like he was right next to my headboard. Then every word of every discussion I could hear from my neighbor. The same held true for downstairs and upstairs neighbors. I know now why they don't have televisions. It wouldn't be possible with the paper thin walls. Our room was over the check in office, and I could hear her sharpening her pencil!
I read in one of the fgavorable reviews that the food was good but kind of pricey. I agree completely. It was very good but extremely pricey. Also I didn;t like the lack of flexibility around the hours when you can eat. You get an hour and a half for breakfast and lunch and 2 and 1/2 for dinner. That was it. If you missed those meal times you were out of luck. They offered "snacks" in the gift shop they said. So my wife and I checked it out. They had ONLY Combos and coke or water. Quite a selection there folks. The room was OLD water stained and VERY unattractive.....No anything at this "resort". No room service, not TV, no internet, and NO flexibility in anything they do. VERY unaccomodating. I have travelled the world and stayed in every kind of accomodation you can imagine, and this is my 1st ever review. I had to write it only because we were SO very unhappy with the stay. Ask lots of questions before you go if you want to know if this place is for you. The other thing I noticed when scanning these reviews the second time, most of them are older. I wish I had caught that the first time I looked. That's my bad.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jgirouard
DougMinaker, Guest Relations Manager at Dalvay by the Sea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Dalvay has changed ownership and management in 2011 and we are currently working on a number of the issues you had mentioned. I can safely say that we are taking all comments into consideration and we will continue to strive towards making Dalvay the Gem it is meant to be.

We do have WiFi now and we are working very hard to make improvements to all areas of the Hotel. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that one day in the future you will be able to come back and re-experience Dalvay.

There are newer reviews for Dalvay by the Sea Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed with our two sons and their wives in three rooms on the third floor of the Dalvay hotel and we all enjoyed the time there very much. I worried about being on the third floor because there is no AC in the hotel, but with the sea breeze and large ceiling fan, each room was comfortable. The rooms do vary quite a lot in size, so you should ask for the details of the room when you reserve. Some rooms are quite spacious, others smaller but adequate. Bathrooms vary in size as well. Be advised, there is no elevator in the hotel! The food is absolutely wonderful, the wine list okay, and both are expensive. Add on the Canadian taxes and it gets quite pricey, but at least you are getting very good food. Breakfast (hot, cold, whatever you desire) is included in the price of your room, which is a good thing because you'd have to go a long way to find breakfast elsewhere. I think part of the charm of Dalvay is eating there...it feels quite decadent. Beverages from the bar can be enjoyed in the indoor sitting areas or outside on the large veranda or lawn overlooking the lake. It's truly a lovely place to relax. That is what most people are there for, as there are no phones, clock radios or TVs in the rooms. The is a "phone booth" where guests may use a computer, one at a time, or your own laptop if you bring a cable with you. The beach is an easy walk, and there are nature trails near the hotel as well. Our grown-up kids enjoyed bocce on the lawn, and we saw many families using the rental bikes. With the paved jogging/biking/walking path that runs all along the north shore national park road, safe exercise is very easy. The staff at Dalvay is very friendly and accommodating, the young waitstaff well-trained, and everyone seems to genuinely want to make sure you have a pleasant stay. My son and I were even able to pick up a boxed breakfast before an early golf tee-time. All-in-all I highly recommend Dalvay for a relaxing, pampered getaway. It is a bit remote, but you can get to either Charlottetown or the Cavendish area with in 15-20 min. drive. Hint: you must pay to enter the park each day, so plan your trips accordingly! If you say you are "dining at Dalvay" they will let you through without charging you. We found some confusion over this at the gate for the first two days of not being charged, and then having it explained to us by a new person at the gate the third day. Guess we got lucky! We grew up coming to rental cottages and then our own cottage in Stanhope, PEI every summer since the 1950's, so we have seen a lot of changes, but we thoroughly enjoyed our first stay at Dalvay!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JGinA2

You are quite correct that although there is no A/C the natural breezes from the ocean and lake keep the rooms at a very comfortable level. The dining room is part of the experience in staying here and I'm pleased to see you were able to appreciate that.

Relaxation and natural exercise is one of the major reasons for staying with us and all of your wonderful comments show that you truly took in the experience of Dalvay. Glad to hear your first stay was so great and we hope you are able to come back in the future for another memorable visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

We really relaxed during our 3-night stay at this hotel. We had booked a queen suite and were very pleased with the size and layout of the room - spacious and a view over the front lawn, Dalvay Lake and the Gulf of St Lawrence in the distance. The room was very comfortable with several windows and a stand alone fan [if was hot in July]; the bathroom was fine with a claw foot tub/shower.
There is no WIFI but the front office has a computer you can use or you can hook up your laptop. There is no TV radio etc [rooms have no insulation we were told]. We came for the biking and were very pleased with the rental bikes at the hotel and the help in planning our rides on the Confederation trail. There is also tennis, croquet and kayaks.
The food is really good at the hotel - a very sophisticated menu and everything was fresh and tasty, especially [of course] the fish and mussels.
We also ate at the Dunes [excellent!] and in Rustico Harbor at the Blue Mussel for lunch, also very good.
The hotel is within the PEI National Park and it costs $40 canadian for a 7-day pass.
We can't say enough about the charming staff who were always able to answer our questions and help us out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank addy

Peace and quiet is the true essence of Dalvay. We do have WiFi now on property but still keep to the "Step Back In Time" philosphy with a touch of modern essentials. The bikes are in excellent shape and always ready for a quick spin or a long ride in the Park. No matter where you go food is a must and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed our Dining Room. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and we hope to see you again in the future. Cheers!

Reviewed August 2, 2010

My 11-year-old daughter and I traveled to PEI for Anne of Green Gables related sites, but then traveled around the island a bit. We stayed for two nights at Dalvay and were so sorry to leave. It's simply beautiful. Our favorite thing to do was sit on the chairs on the lawn overlooking the lake and read. My daughter climbed the tree on the front lawn and we kayaked on the lake. Everyone was very friendly, especially the young woman in the gift shop. Our room was big and lovely, and very clean and comfortable. It did overlook the back of the hotel (we booked late so had fewer choices) and the tennis courts. I did hear some talking at night if I was in the bathroom, but otherwise I really didn't hear anything.

I have to give special mention of the food. I am vegan and my daughter is vegetarian. I should have called in advance about this, but was unsure what our dinner plans would be. As we drove out there, however, I realized that we were too tired and it was a bit too remote for us to go out again for dinner. The staff at the front desk did not think there would be a problem with accommodating us at dinner. I told our server, and the chef made me a vegan meal on the fly, and it was quite good, but they recommended making a note of our meal requirements when we booked dinner the next night. I did so, and also asked if they could make something different for my daughter. The only item on the kids menu that worked for a vegetarian was pasta with cheese sauce. She had it the first night, and really could not face it again. That night I had a lovely meal of grilled polenta cakes with vegetables and she had a pasta dish with veggies. She ate vegetables out of that she never touches at home and kept saying, "I don't know what they did to this, but it's great!" I guess service could be a bit slow, but nothing terrible, and we found service to be at a slower pace on the island in general.

Dalvay beach is just across the road and guests can borrow chairs and towels. The beach is nice if you have children, because there is a sand bar that creates a shallow pool close to the beach. There were a lot of rocks and seaweed, and jellies too, but overall very nice.

If you are going to be on PEI, treat yourself to at least one night at Dalvay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Beccajammom

Sitting outside in front of the lake with a great book is near heaven to many people (myself included) and I'm happy to see you enjoyed this amazing aspect of staying at Dalvay. Thank you for the wonderful comments about the cuisine and we expect things to keep getting better. We hope to see you again in the future and thank you for the great comments.

Reviewed March 22, 2010

From the moment you turn into the drive, you know you have come to a special place. The staff treat you like family,and the bartender is more than happy to deliver your drink out to you while you are sitting in a wonderful wooden chair on the large front lawn looking at the lake.
You can hike, rent bikes, walk or run on the beach across the road. Bike rides along the road by the sea and stopping at a little restaurant at a fishing dock for lunch are memorable.
Definitely for relaxing. No telephones, no tv, cellphone use restricted where others can hear. You can sleep as long as you want.
We very much enjoyed the food for breakfast and dinner, including desserts (se bike riding above). Service with high school students as wait staff is more fun than perfect, and, if you take yourself too seriously, this may not be your place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shoresideone

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. The area with it's natural beauty and the hotel's historic presence is what being at Dalvay is all about. We are glad that you were able to enjoy the cuisine and we hope you are able to visit us again.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

My friend and I stayed here Aug 2009 for just a couple of days. We barely left the place. You don't really have to. You have breakfast, lunch (or afternoon tea) and dinner here. The food is fabulous especially the oysters and the sticky date pudding.!!! The atmosphere takes you back to old times and is very relaxing. You can bike, kayak, and wander around the park and grounds. We had such a wonderful time. We sat in the chairs in front of the lake and read one morning,. I finished a book while I was there. Would definitely try to come back once a year. This was my 2nd time visiting.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank LooLo
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We thoroughly enoyed our stay at Dalvay.Our wishes were granted from the delivery of a drink out to the front lawn or the scrumptious meals served in the diningroom. Who needs a fitness centre when all you have to is take a biking trip along the many trails or paddle a canoe on Dalvay Lake?The beach is a short walk away for an evening stroll or to sunbathe. I would have to say the only drawback was the lack of air conditioning, but, saying that, there was a ceiling fan and a table fan for our convenience. I would have no hesitation in recommending Dalvay to our friends for their PEI vacation. We had a truly memorable time and hope to return one day.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maybelle100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalvay
Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort
The Great George
The Great George
#1 of 23 in Charlottetown
Delta Hotels Prince Edward by Marriott

Been to Dalvay by the Sea Hotel? Share your experiences!