“Delightful grounds, frightful rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dalvay by the Sea Hotel

Dalvay by the Sea Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dalvay
Twin Falls, Idaho
“Delightful grounds, frightful rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Complaints include the plethora of spiders attached to the windows, a bevy of overworked, underpaid college students to run the place, paper-thin walls allowed our neighbor's snoring to keep us up most of the night, aided by the ability to hear every word (& raucous drunken giggles) emitted from the veranda, a symphony of creaky floors and an ancient bed with a big valley I was obliged to keep crawling out of, showering in constantly changing water temperature, very expensive dinner prices (we didn't even order an entree and the bill was over $100). On the plus side, the grounds are peaceful and inviting. The bicycles and paths are great fun. The beach is a short walk from the property and pleasantly uncrowded. The dinner menu and fare are sparse, yet quite delectable (especially the sticky date dessert concoction) and the coffee is delightfully strong (most of the time). Overall, I'm happy to have experienced it once, but probably wouldn't return due to the poor sleep quality and high prices = poor value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kaycee2881
DougMinaker, Guest Relations Manager at Dalvay by the Sea Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
I’m happy to see that you enjoyed the lovely grounds and the numerous activities and beautiful beach nearby. The sticky date pudding is delicious and the coffee is superb.

In regards to the rooms we will continue to work towards improving our guests stay with us and we take all comments into consideration. Our recently installed management team is working towards improving many aspects of the hotel and we appreciate your feedback. I hope that one day in the future you will be able to come back and see the changes we have made but in the meantime enjoy the rest of 2011.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Dalvay is a quintessential experience in the history, intimacy, charm and modest grace of the Canadian people. Clean, warm, welcoming, the old manse with lovely rooms in which to stay, modern traditional cottages, public rooms which welcome guests and those attending for simply tea or a glass of wine by a gorgeous soft fire, traditional fare, a splendid full breakfast with the rooms, bikes, croquet, a charming cottage craft gift store, and the unabashedly perfect North Central shores of Prince Edward Island's National Park, vast grounds, and the soft climate and gentle real people of the Island. No phones or televisions! Owls, blue herons....If you want fancy, artificial, trendy and busy, go elsewhere. Our stay was unforgettable. Oh Canada!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ElizabethAnne53
With a review like that all I can really say is THANK YOU. God bless Texas and we hope to see you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Beautiful setting for a fine building, both outside and in. The room was a fine wood panelled corner room overlooking the lake. From there things slowly began to unravel - waiting in a long line to be escorted to both dinner an breakfast , wine that may have not been loved before being held in the wine cabinet, a disappointment given the steep mark up. The food was very fine. The wood panelling in our room turned out to be very thin - a selection of snores and footsteps from all the the rooms around.

Room Tip: Go for one of the beautiful cottages and take your own wine
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jim w w
The rooms and building are designed to retain Dalvay’s historic value and all changes are regulated by Parks Canada. With that said we will continue to work towards improving our guest visits and we take all comments into consideration. As well we have changed ownership and management this season and we are striving towards making the Hotel the desired destination it was meant to be. Our recently installed management team is working towards improving many aspects of the hotel and we appreciate your feedback.
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

We spent three nights in this hotel, knowing that the weather was going to be a factor during our visit to PEI. We found that this hotel offered a relaxed homey pace ideal for two active seniors like ourselves. We had booked at the last minute so could only have a quite small room with a double bed. With the large common rooms with comfortable chairs and reading areas and large fireplaces (lit because of the cool weather), our room was more than adequate with a comfortable bed and clean bathroom. Breakfast was included with our room and included both entrees ordered from the kitchen as well as a buffet. Very good food. We ate two of our suppers in the hotel as well. Also very good. I would recommend this hotel for couples of any age but not so much for young children if the weather is too cold for the beach located very close by.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
You are quite right that the Hotel is perfect for couples of any age and with our cottages and multiple activities on site we can still keep any family happy. Hearing that the food was delicious is always great and the multiple common areas are the perfect setting to relax and take in the historic property and all of it's wonderful charm. We hope to see you again in the future and thank you for your wonderful comments.
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Dalvay was recommended by our family, and we are so glad we made the short 25 minute drive from Charlottetown to stay...albeit for only one night. We will be back. The food was spectacular, and the massive fireplace was so soothing.
The room was small, and maybe slightly dated, but still better than average based on price.
Bike rentals are convenient, and reasonably priced too. Highly recommend Dalvay as a bit of a splurge destination. The setting is truly awesome.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Madsand
I am pleased to hear that you made the short drive from Charlottetown and I thank your family for the excellent advice they gave you. The fireplace is absolutely amazing and bike rentals are almost a “must do”. Thanks for the comments and make sure to stay more than one night when you come back to visit us again..
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

I had been there once before but i was too little to remember, so i was very excited about visiting Dalvay by the Sea. We were led up to our room by friendly staff. The room had a ice view of the fields and the lake. We had friends who were in one of the cottages so we saw what was inside. They were very clean and really felt like home! There were plenty of things to entertain ourselves with. We rented some kayaks and took them out on the lake. There was also a croquet field nearby. Dalvay by the sea is in a nice location because of they glittering lake and also because it is, well, by the sea! :-)
A short walk down the road will get you to a nice beach by the beautiful waters!
the staff was friendly and always smiling. There was a restaurant that served meals but they were nothing that special. Overall, Dalvay by the sea is a wonderful hotel and you would be missing fun if you miss Dalvay.

• Stayed June 2010
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank mattchko
I would agree with you that the beach is amazing and the lake provides a wonderful location for both the views and kayaking. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and I'm glad to see that your return to Dalvay was just as you had hoped for. Take care and we hope to see you again one day.
Mass.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

My wife and I just stayed at the Dalvay this past Monday August 23rd, 2010. We were booked for the week but checked out after our first day. I have a long list of issues we ran into, but the lack of everything they have they mark down to character or being quaint, or timeless. HA. We had a room on the second floor #8. After a long day of travel I lied down for a quick rest. To my surprise and disgust I was disturbed by the next door occupant relieveing himself. It sounded like he was right next to my headboard. Then every word of every discussion I could hear from my neighbor. The same held true for downstairs and upstairs neighbors. I know now why they don't have televisions. It wouldn't be possible with the paper thin walls. Our room was over the check in office, and I could hear her sharpening her pencil!
I read in one of the fgavorable reviews that the food was good but kind of pricey. I agree completely. It was very good but extremely pricey. Also I didn;t like the lack of flexibility around the hours when you can eat. You get an hour and a half for breakfast and lunch and 2 and 1/2 for dinner. That was it. If you missed those meal times you were out of luck. They offered "snacks" in the gift shop they said. So my wife and I checked it out. They had ONLY Combos and coke or water. Quite a selection there folks. The room was OLD water stained and VERY unattractive.....No anything at this "resort". No room service, not TV, no internet, and NO flexibility in anything they do. VERY unaccomodating. I have travelled the world and stayed in every kind of accomodation you can imagine, and this is my 1st ever review. I had to write it only because we were SO very unhappy with the stay. Ask lots of questions before you go if you want to know if this place is for you. The other thing I noticed when scanning these reviews the second time, most of them are older. I wish I had caught that the first time I looked. That's my bad.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank jgirouard
Dalvay has changed ownership and management in 2011 and we are currently working on a number of the issues you had mentioned. I can safely say that we are taking all comments into consideration and we will continue to strive towards making Dalvay the Gem it is meant to be.

We do have WiFi now and we are working very hard to make improvements to all areas of the Hotel. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that one day in the future you will be able to come back and re-experience Dalvay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalvay
The Great George
#2 of 2 in Brackley Beach
The Inn at St. Peters
The Inn at St. Peters
#1 of 1 in Saint Peters Bay

Been to Dalvay by the Sea Hotel? Share your experiences!