“Good for a Quick Bit to Eat; Nothing spectacular”
Review of Sand Box Pub and Eatery - CLOSED

Sand Box Pub and Eatery
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
London, Canada
“Good for a Quick Bit to Eat; Nothing spectacular”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

(Again, if there was more choices--- this would be between "average" and "very good". Good? Decent? The scale definitely needs some tweaking)
We stopped here after a long day of LMM hunting.
The food was decent- I had a veggie wrap (which was really just veggies in a wrap- no sauce, no cheese), and a massive pile of fries. My SO had a burger and another massive pile of fries. The fries are pretty good, but oversalted. The wrap was yummy, after I put Thai Chilli Mayo on it (the sauce for the fries).
His burger was a handmade patty, and he was quite happy with it. Although they stuck processed cheese on it.
We sat on a deck overlooking the PEI countryside, which was really nice. The weather was lovely. (but I'm not sure the restaurant gets bonus points for the countryside!)

Again, it definitely quenches your hunger, but if you're looking for something new, or original... keep looking.

1 Thank quirkynomadD

Staunton, Virginia
“So good we went back again!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stopped in the Sand Box for lunch while visiting the Anne sites, not expecting more than a quick bite to eat. We found a great restaurant with a very good menu of fresh food. It was so good that we went back a few days later when we were in the area, this time eating out on the patio, which was lovely.

UK
“Open slightly later than most places”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Good sized portions, OK food, open later than most other restaurants in the area so a good place if you check-in to Cavendish in the evening and don't have a booking already. OK choice for vegetarians.

Waterloo, Canada
“I wish we had not stopped....”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stopped at the Sandbox after a busy day near Cavendish on June 27, 2012. My children LOVED the indoor sandbox in the corner. However, it was a challenge to get them away from it to clean up and eat dinner.

When our food arrived (most of us ordered fish and chips) it looked good until my mother removed the lemon wedges on her plate. The underside was completely moldy!!!!! YUCK! We called our server over who apologized and removed them from the table. When she returned, she explained there was a new cook who had pulled the lemon slices from the wrong dish. I asked if the cook had made any other mistakes and she assured me that he had not. We reluctantly ate our food which tasted ok. Later that night my 5 year old daughter got ill. No one else was sick, and she was fine afterwards which made me wonder if it was from the food.

Prices were typically inflated for tourists fishing Avonlea and Cavendish.

I would not return to the Sandbox, and wish that we had never gone there.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Gogojanet
Halifax Nova Scotia
“Tourist trap of the worst sort.”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were looking for a quick lunch at 1:30 on a Monday, and picked the place with a full parking lot. This is usually a good tactic. Not this time. The place screamed “tourist trap” as soon as we walked in, but we were too hungry to keep looking.

It calls itself a pub but had two beers on tap, one of which wasn’t available…Moose Light or nothing, at $6 for a 20-oz draft. The food selections were limited and expensive, most things $10+ for items that would be $3-4 less at most places.

I ordered the chicken quesadilla for $11. It arrived looking baked—dried out tortilla with processed chicken chunks worthy of McDonalds. Bleh. Lots of chunks of fresh red and green pepper were the only redeeming quality. The house-made fries had promise, but had clearly been sitting under a heat lamp for way too long, and were fused in clumps. The kids had standard kids’ meals, a hot dog or piece of fish with fries, a drink and a Mr. Freeze. At $7 and $9, also overpriced, but at least the drink wasn’t extra. My husband’s burger (the basic burger, cheapest thing on the menu for $9) was ok, but he couldn’t find a beer to drink as everything he tried to order was out of stock. Soft drinks were $2.75 each, which made the $6 draft seem more reasonable. Our service was good, until it was time to pay bill, when I eventually gave up and asked another server to take it as my server was stuck chatting at an adjoining table.

If you like a limited selection of expensive, poor quality food, you’ll be happy. Otherwise do yourself a favour and keep driving. Wish I'd been able to check TA before we went in...

2 Thank noelx4