“Walking Green Gables”

City Highlights Bus Tour of Charlottetown
Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Cavendish
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Home made famous in "Anne of Green Gables" which has been restored to match the descriptions in the books.
Reviewed August 25, 2014

If you enjoy a great walk in the woods, don't miss the trails on the ground. The house and displays themselves do not take long, but you can easily spend an hour or more on the trails and well kept grounds.

There are newer reviews for Green Gables

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I reread Anne of Green Gables just before arriving for this visit and have reread the next two installments since that visit. It was great fun to immerse ourselves in that environment. Those who complain about the crowds and a golf course next door should take Anne's advice and imagine. There weren't so many people there that I couldn't imagine them away. I was in my own little Green Gables world.
The kids weren't too excited about this visit when we arrived. This was yet another cultural visit that Mom was insisting on. It's so fun to be vindicated when they have a wonderful time! They had a chance to chat with "Anne" which was just lovely. The Parks Canada activities really engaged them, with a scavenger hunt type of activity out through lover's lane. This allowed them to run around together while I strolled peacefully with my beloved. So romantic!
For those who haven't read the books, the gardens and walking paths should hopefully be interesting enough while you watch your Anne-loving companions soak it all in.
I would certainly recommend this visit if you are in the area and have read the book(s) at any point in your life. But if you're willing to reread before you go, your experience will be enhanced.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

This is a recreation/restoration of the farm that L.M. Montgomery lived at briefly and that inspired some of the settings of her books. There are interesting things about the exhibits, and I give the Park staff good marks for their attempts and preserving and educating the public as to this important spot of cultural heritage. It saddened me a bit to tramp through what was the "haunted wood" and the "lovers lane" with the 100s of other tourists and wonder what LMM would think. I suppose it shows the best and worst of modern tourism.

Do yourself a favour. Read the "Anne" books, then get away from the crowds and experience PEI as LMM herself might have. Go to the remote places, walk remote beaches, drive the back paths, walk the back lanes ... sit, stop, and listen in stillness.

1  Thank psmith45
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

A bit overpriced, but a must-do stop to see the historic house with green gables that inspired the author. All of the items in the house are from that era and were brought in to reconstruct what the house is like in the novel. The two walking/hiking trails are great, too.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Having read Anne books as a child, the opportunity to visit Green Gables made me very happy. The museum itself is located in Cavendish, right near the KOA campsite there. There are lots for a family to do, even in the rain, visiting the house and the two walks nearby. The house itself can get very crowded as it did on our visit, but this didn't spoil a thing. The rain didn't stop us from venturing along Lovers Lane or into the Haunted Wood. I learned many things about the author and her life. We took our two young boys with us and they too enjoyed the experience so much that I have been reading the first Anne book with them ever since.