“Food for body and soul”

The Dunes Studio Gallery and Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Dunes cafe is more than a convenience for shoppers at the eclectic Brackley Beach art gallery. It's become a dining destination for visitors to this end of Prince Edward Island. The calibre of the food and service has gradually improved in my three visits over the past decade, to the point where I had to briefly fall off the vegetarian wagon to taste the roast beef sandwich my partner was raving about! I've only sampled the restaurant's lunchtime fare, but never had tastier salads on the Island. if the owners could just create more elbow room for shoppers and diners, it would be a more leisurely experience. The serene gardens provide some helpful Zen after a few hours browsing a wonderful selection of PEI paintings and touristy kitsch.

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The cafe looks into a beautiful garden. Great view. Don't forget to take some time to leisurely stroll through the garden.

The Chef was very accommodating to make the changes we wanted with our meal.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I went to The Dunes for lunch today and we had a great, unique experience. I ordered the seafood chowder and he ordered the pizza lunch special. The chowder was better than any I'd ever had and the pizza was great as well. The atmosphere was lovely, but the stained glass pieces hanging in the windows made it difficult to view the gardens while dining. This wasn't a big deal, as we spent a lot of time outside afterwards enjoying them. We really enjoyed viewing all of the art in the gallery. There were some very unique pieces ranging from paintings, wood carvings, clothing, pottery, jewelry, and more!

Note that I've given this review only 4 out of 5 stars for a couple of key reasons.

1. It was very hot inside the cafe and the gallery. Some air conditioning would have been nice since it's such a hot day today and I felt a bit overheated. We probably would have stayed longer had this not been the case.
2. We saw a couple of things that were "Hand Made in China". We were a little disappointed by this, as we were hoping that everything was made locally.

Please bear in mind that we considered the two items above to be minor flaws in our experience that would not keep us from returning to The Dunes. If we travel to Prince Edward Island again, we will definitely return!

1  Thank Roanna C
Reviewed July 1, 2014

On a wonderful recommendation we were excited to make reservations at the Dunes. However
Upon our arrival we waited at the hostess stand for several minutes while who we learned was the manager glanced over at us several times with out acknowledging us at all! Finally she came over
Coldly, and readjusted her attitude! We had an 8:00 reserv. We were the end of their long day I fear! The gallery was astounding I have never seen anything like it it all my travels ( alot. ). It was well into their season so we felt a staff meeting or 10 would help render some of their easily solved problems! Such as: uniforms , an upscaled restaurant deserves that, not a diner effect, opening a wine bottle and presenting it correctly, enthusiasm about the menu, I'm sure the chef would appreciate it. For the price of the halibut it probably should not be thickly battered and fried, although the banana seasoning and curry were wonderful , it dried out the fish!!
All in all get your wine and walk around the grounds it's wonderful!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We went to the Gallery which is a fantastic huge building of pottery, jewellery, art of all kinds and a garden. You could spend hours but then there is the restaurant! Great service and amazing food! The chef is the greatest and is in PEI, not Toronto! The lobster quiche melted in my mouth. My friends had amazing meals and ended with the most delicious rhubarb apple crisp. Showcasing all the great foods of PEI.