“worth the hype?”

The Cove Country Inn Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled on the shore of the historic and tranquil Upper Rideau Lake in the quaint Village of Westport, is our family-owned, four season inn. The Cove Country Inn is known as one of the grand old houses in Westport. It was constructed in 1876 by the Fredenburgh family who owned the local sash and door mill. In the late 1920's, the buildings were converted into the Lexena Hotel under the management of Alex and Lena Brown. In 1932, the Robert's family added the beverage room (now the Lounge) and the Tweedsmuir Hotel became the place to visit on the Rideau. As time passed, the hotel's ownership changed several times, but the late Dick Ready's name stood out as giving his heart and soul to the hotel. In 1988, renovations were undertaken by the Cowans and the Carvers to restore the Inn to it's original proud state. Today, the Inn is a special place for local residents & visitors alike to enjoy great food, comfortable accommodations and the best in live entertainment. The Cove stage is home to the long-standing Blues on the Rideau Series, popular Jazz Night, MUSICwestport and many incredible local and international artists. Perched on The Rideau's edge and Westport Pond, The Cove is comprised of 15 guest suites, a full service 200 seat restaurant and 100 seat patio dining in the warmer months. To compliment your stay at our inn, the full service Sundari Day Spa is located just next door overlooking Westport Pond. The Village of Westport boasts a variety of wonderful shops and warm hospitality you won't forget. The Rideau Lakes area offers great boating, fishing and snowmobiling on picturesque lakes as well as hiking, snow shoeing and cross-country skiing in beautiful Foley Mountain Park...all just outside our doorstep! Come visit and enjoy our unique rural Ontario town experience. We look forward to hosting you!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I went to dinner at the Cove mid-August on their jazz night. We got there early and were surprised to see so many reserved tables, as was ours. The ambiance was nice and we were waited upon promptly. We were given a special event condensed menu as jazz night apparently got busy. I was hoping for prime rib that I had heard about but instead was limited to this different menu. Our apps and mains were good and they came out promptly. As the evening went on, the place did get very full and service rapidly deteriorated from there one. It took forever to get the attention of our server for another drink and later to order dessert. To get our bill, we waited for over 20 minutes. In the end, I ended up having to line up at the crowded bar to pay our bill via the bartender rather than our server at the table. This whole lack of service during the second half of the meal caused our evening to end on a sour note. While the place was certainly busy, it was something that should have been overcome with proper execution. While I wouldn't say don't go here, I wouldn't be over-the-top in my recommendation for what ended up to be an average meal.

Thank KevinSt.Catharines
Terry C, Owner at The Cove Country Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal and the music on our busiest night of the week. Our jazz night has become amazingly popular and we only can hope that people see this and understand when it takes a bit longer to pay the bill. Please dont let this stop you from returning and we/ll try to do better at payment time.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This past spring, a coworker and I headed into the Cove while the rest of the group went to another restaurant. Why? Because only The Cove offered gluten-free options. Not just a couple of items, but a well chosen variety. Waitresses were friendly, suggested the best table instead of just leading us to one, and the food was timely and tasty. This was my second visit to the Cove. My first visit was while motorcycling with friends and we stopped in. That time we sat outside on the patio with the gorgeous view. This is a lovely place to eat, and if you can get out on the patio, or one of the back window tables, even better.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stopped at The Cove for a lunch on a boat trip with friends on the Big Rideau. We arrived near 2pm on a Friday for lunch. The place appeared busy, but they had shut off half of the seating area. We stood waiting for an inordinate amount of time waiting for a server to take notice. The hostess, seemed disorganized and to be having a hard time handling customers with bills and alternately seating guests.

The food was expensive, but being a waterside stop, I guess I expected as much.

I had the fish and chips. It was average and certainly nothing special. I didn't see anything else ordered my our group that amounted to more than pub food either. Edible, but not spectacular.

This old mansion and inn has so much character that it could be so much more and the food could be elevated to meet the feel of the place. I'm sure that since most of the clientele are more affluent than most that a rework of the menu and the food is certainly in order.

Its just average and nothing more. I expected more from what I saw when I arrived.

1  Thank GottaGoSouth
Terry C, Owner at The Cove Country Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Well!! Needless to say, we are certainly disturbed by this review. When you are serving over 300 for lunch , I'm sure you realize there will be times when you have to wait and it may take a while. As far as our menu goes , I cant tell you how many times we have been told we have the best fish and chips they have had. In fact, there are people that come from Ottawa just for that menu item. We do hope that this reviewer will visit us again for another chance.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely lunch on the outdoor patio. The Inn and the restaurant were very busy but the staff took everything in stride and the service was good. It's a lovely spot to have lunch, the grounds are well landscaped the the views of the water are pleasant.

The village of Westport is a lovely tourist small town, with lovely shops to browse in.

It's a nice day trip from Ottawa.

We would like to go back and stay overnight at the Inn sometime.

1  Thank MomagerOttawa
Reviewed July 1, 2013

There is a top end menu $26 for prime rib or a bottom end $14 or less for hamburger with fries or chicken wings but nothing priced in between. My wife ordered the turkey with mashed potato but no mash so that was out. How can you run out of mash spuds. The fries were coated, soggy and texture like chewing gum. $7 for poutine how can that be justified. The setting is pretty but the menu needs a complete overhaul and pricing too.

1  Thank Harristone
Terry C, Owner at The Cove Country Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

In deference to this reviewer, I am at a loss to respond to this review, as what is written about our menu is simply not the case. I think you can divulge that from the many positive comments we have received. Thanks