“Excellent Accomodations in a Beautiful Location”

The Stepping Stone Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westport
The Stepping Stone Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Westport B&B and Inns
Naples, Florida
“Excellent Accomodations in a Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

On two occasions. it was my great pleasure to spend a week at this Inn. It is located in a lovely area in the Rideau Valley and is surrounded by beautiful flowers, shrubs and grass with a near-by lake. There are about 11 rooms, each uniquely and tastefully decorated in a very attractive fashion. The meals were delicious, well-prepared with a nice variety. The staff was very friendly and courteous. You can have privacy or sociability. It is a great place for hiking or just walking around. There's a nice sized pool and a large hall for activities such as dancing. Canoeing, fishing, and golfing are available near-by and the city of Westport is an interesting small town to visit as are many other towns in the general area.

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
san diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

A lovely historic bed and breakfast with a beautiful grounds all around. Lovely furniture, comfortable rooms, and great bathrooms.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Good points:
-the grounds are truly beautiful
-we were the only customers Friday night of Thanksgiving weekend.

Disappointing issues:
-cobwebs remained in the room even after the room was 'freshened up' by owner
-clouds of dust arose from the furniture
-replacement kleenex not provided even though it was specifically requested
-the smoke alarm had been removed from the room; we were told we might want to avoid using the fireplace....a couple had not used the vent properly and the room had filled with smoke. So the owner reacted by removing the smoke alarm?!
-the matress was not of a premium quality despite it being the 'bridal suite'
-dinner was not available despite it being advertised
-the horses did not actually exist (would have increased the charm to see them)
-the room did not lock from the outside
-the firelogs we were allowed to use in the fireplace occasionally smelled of wax
-the hot tub was not cleaned as part of the maid service (I have noted this to be the case at other B+B's though)
-there was a notice indicating that the refrigerator could not be used by order of the health department (very suspicious if you ask us)
-no staff or owner slept there
-the ice machine was not turned on the first night, necessitating the purchase of ice
-the breakfasts were awful. No art. Plain. Portions not generous. And:
---the coffee tasted like it had been made in an unclean pot (actually it was unclean)
---the maple syrup was not maple
---the jam, peanut butter, butter, low-calorie sweetener were not put on the table; they didn't have any except for some jam given to my wife when she asked for it
---the bacon was burnt the first morning
---the scrambled eggs were not fancied up in any way

Our own personal research indicates possible new ownership and an emphasis on big events like weddings where a proper amount of staff are brought in temporarily. Don't use the Stepping Stone Inn in Westport, Ontario

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Manwithwoman
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

The Stepping Stone was the sight of my brothers wedding this August and although it is quite lovely as a wedding location, as a B&B it totally failed. The item that put my husband and I off the most was the fact that our room was so damp that our sheets were almost wet when we got into bed - DISGUSTING!!! Certainly not a pleasant way to end a long day. Other turnoffs included a cardboard box full of broken and dirty dishes that was placed in the hallway near our room by the kitchen staff - the box stayed there for hours. Not the nicest thing to walk by repeatedly. The small hairdryer in our bathroom was continously fall off the wall and there were numerous locations in the walls that were in desparate need of patching. Considering that somehow we got placed in the most expensive room in the inn - I would hate to see what the other rooms were like. The breakfast quality was also debatable.
I agree with some of the other reviewers in the that management was terrible - they were not present during check out time when I wanted to discuss my complaints (perhaps this was a calculated absence).
I certainly will not be staying here again and wouldn't advise anyone else to either.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank RainyCityGal
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Don't stay there if you can help it-only if no other options are available in the area. It's a shame, because the property looks so inviting on the surface, but it was one of the most unwelcoming places I have ever stayed in. It lures you with it's prettiness, but doesn't go any further. If you want a sense of welcome, that you are more than just a dollar sign, then avoid Stepping Stone. it's not the staff's fault - they came in when guests were around to "tidy up" and were friendly enough, but even the "emergency" phone numbers listed on a card on the table rolled over to a voicemail. We felt our sense of unease stemmed from a pattern of absentee ownership evident everywhere. It wasn't just that my room, while "looking" pretty when you first came, had a layer of dust on every unused portion of the tables and floors that could only have accumulated over weeks of inattention. It wasn't just the iffy toilet, nor my shower which sprayed more on the floor than on me, that only happens after years of inattention. Not was it the abundance of mouse droppings on the floor of the wedding hall out back, clearly not cleaned since the last event. I live on a country property and field mice are unavoidable, but this made my stomach turn. Nor was it even the slightly sour milk available for tea, nor even the rancid smelling refrigerator that lacked a door handle, but set behind gorgeous wood panelling; nor even the thick crust of crud inside the kettle we had available to boil the water for our tea - this thickness could only be formed after years of no cleaning. Nor even the pool which wasn't cleaned of debris because as the breakfast lady told me, it costs so much to get the man in to do it. No--the sense of lack of welcome was because the owner didn't care enough about these small things. It felt like the policy at Stepping Stone is "maximum profit" for "minimum effort". We felt like we were just dollar signs for the owner. Too bad, because with just a bit of consistent TLC, the owner could make this place a gem, but I don't think she'll bother.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank wattravel
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

A gorgeous house, pond, gardens but falling in disrepair. Absentee owner, no manager on site to do/oversee myriad of minor repairs/basic maintenance, oversee staff and ensure rooms are done, and breakfast is adequate. The house is sorely missing a caring constant presence. Unless someone was arriving, or at breakfast, there was never anyone around and none of the outbuildings are locked. We stayed 4 nights: towels changed after first night (not really needed) but never changed again! By the last night, we had to raid unoccupied rooms for toilet paper and shampoo! Breakfast was OK, but boring (1 egg, 1 toast, a piece of meat every morning), fruits and a box of Corn Flakes!) 2 mornings, there wasn't any coffee made before 9am!! The saving grace was Sandy (met us, made breakfast 2 mornings and coffee was on by 8 or earlier! and generally encouraged us to enjoy the place. We did and roamed the house and the grounds… the pool is not open, but the pond is very pretty although the ‘beach’ needs weeding! The house and gardens are absolutely gorgeous and I look forward to renewed attention by the current owner or to new owners that can restore its rightful place as one of the best B&B around Westport.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cplou
St. Thomas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was the worst B&B I have ever stayed at. The service was very poor we didn't get a new set of towels or any room service the two nights were were there. They did not have any locks on any of the doors so I was paranoid someone was going to steal my stuff the whole time I was there. We were there for a wedding and my good friend who was the bride was very upset with the service she received. The breakfast was disappointing considering it is a B&B ...they only served muffins and fruit. On Sunday morning they ran out of water and some of the guests were swimming in the pond to clean off......needless to say my friend who was the host of the wedding was very embarrassed and disappointed. For the cost of the room the service was very poor. I would not recommend this place to anyone....you would get better service at a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LyndseySt_Thomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Hotel Kenney
Hotel Kenney
#1 of 1 in Elgin
Cove Country Inn Resort & Spa
Westport Station Motel
Westport Station Motel
#1 of 1 in Westport

Been to The Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!