“Take your glass to the bridge”

Karlo Estates Winery
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: The County’s largest portfolio of unique premium wines made by Master Winemaker and Wine Judge, Richard Karlo. Chardonnay CHOA, Lake on the Mountain Riesling, Frontenac Gris Rosé, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Quintus - the 5 Bordeaux blend, The 5th Element - 100% Petit Verdot, Port~style wines ~ VanAlstine Port and VanAlstine White. 93 acres with North America’s largest Dry Stone bridge, Loft Gallery of oil painter, Sherry Martin. Tastings in 1845 post & beam barn, on covered sundeck or picnic at North America’s Largest Dry Stone bridge. Wine by the glass can be enjoyed anywhere on the 93 acres accept the parking lot.
Montreal, Canada
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Take your glass to the bridge”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Amazing spot: lovely barn and patio for tastings. You'll wish they stayed open past six because it's the hippest hangout in Wellington bar none. The grass-covered stone bridge past the vines is another great imbibing spot. And the wine is not too shabby, either!

Oshawa, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“"Limo Wine tour with Mark Shaw"”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

As part of our wine tour with Mark Shaw of Napanee, we visited Karlo Estates that was recommended to us by "Two in a Vineyard" Wine Host, Chuck Byers. From the stone fence to the magnificent wine tasing area, it is truly a jewel to visit.It features an all old west saloon style complete with wine barrels, wooden sit down tasting area and a massive cheese board complete with snacks on the bar. The ambiance was wonderful. It was like stepping back in time to visit this vineyard. With an art display for the artistic folks to fine wine for the pallette this is a must see. The Vineyard is family owned and run and the folks are more than happy to ensure your visit is enjoyable and satisfying. We had a party of 8 visiting on this VERY hot summers day and sipping there fine Lake of the Mountain Rose and Reislings tempted us to purchase bottles to bring home to Oshawa. Will we return and tell people of this vineyard? You bet.. Special thanks to the Karlo family for there interest in ensuring our satisfaction and making our visit enjoyable despite the extreme heat of the day. I will be sure that the folks from "Two in a Vineyard" visit this Estate again. Who knows, you might even see the vineyard on there show.

Mike

Visited August 2012
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“WOW”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We went on sandbanks wine tour and this was our last stop. The winery is fairly new(2005) and it is family run(husband and wife). The wife does the tour and pairings and the husband(Richard Karlo) is the man behind the wine. Literally every wine this man has made has won an award. We drink alot of french and italian vintage wines and I am telling you this winery has many wines that are BETTER. The best wines are the cab-franc, rose, and ports. We baught alot here and cant wait to share them with our friends. We recommend taking a tour of this winery. Karlo's wife is an excellent host. She explained how to properly taste wines and the food pairings were brilliant. I wouldnt be surprised if this winery becomes very very well known in the near future. This is the up and coming winery of the region.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank C J
Peterborough, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We traveled to wineries in the Niagara area and Prince Edward County for quite a few years. We love going to the smaller wineries as they often offer a more unique wine tasting experience that often includes talking to the owner. Karlo Estates was the best wine tasting experiences we have ever had, bar none! When we walked into the barn that is the wine tasting area we found a group of people sitting at the wine tasting bar. We thought we had interrupted a group tasting but we quickly told that was not the case and asked to please join them. Sherry took the group through the whole range of wines and ports they offer and matched each tasting with food. A truly unique experience. Most surprising was how the taste of the chardonnay changed after eating a salty black olive - our chard hating friend loved the wine after the olive. The grapes used and the wine making process was explained for each wine. Karlo also makes a white port and a tawny port, which were excellent. We had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend a trip to Karlo Estates.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank GreenMcH
Belleville,Ontario
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The Passion shows”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I have been to Karlo estates 3 or 4 times. Each time has been a new and wonderful experience. Richard and his wife (The Owners) are very down to earth people. I was so impressed with their attitude toward wine. They are not your typical wine people. They try to promote wine in its trueist sense (FUN,FUN,FUN) They are not pretentious, and they are not wine snobs. They try to educate and enlighten people in a very gentle way, they are not in your face, they are true ambassadors of the wine industry. I have my Intermediate Wine Tasters through the wine Guild, and I have met alot of people who ruin the wine industry with their holier than thou attitude. Wine Conesseurs should be a thing of the past, but some old school idiots think that wine is only for the educated and not for the masses. Richard and his wife (I am sorry, but I can't remember her name) believe that wine should be drank, if you like it.!!! What a concept.... Their wines are very good and unique. They serve a CHOA Chardonnay that is quite different, but good all the same. Richard asked a local cooperage (Barrel maker) to make some barrels out of some different species of woods. The cooperage came up with a mixture of Cherry, Hickory, Oak, and Ash hence the name CHOA. Like I said, this winery steps outside the box, and is not afraid to experiment. Richard makes a port that is absolutely special. You must try this if you are a port drinker. I have purchased 7 bottles for myself and for gifts. I have given this port to other port drinkers and when I tell them where it is made, they don't believe me until I show them the bottle. The only complaint I have is the lack of washroom facilities. I realize that they are spending money on the winery and vines etc., but I truely believe that the washroom situation is hurting them more than they know. If you are coming to Prince Edward County for a wine tour, make sure Karlo Estates is on the list. You will not be dissapointed. I would rate this Winery 9 out of 10 only because of the washroom situation. Good luck this year

Visited October 2011