“Amazing experience”

Karlo Estates Winery
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The County’s largest portfolio of unique premium wines made by Master Winemaker and Wine Judge, Richard Karlo. Chardonnay CHOA, Lake on the Mountain Riesling, Frontenac Gris Rosé, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Quintus - the 5 Bordeaux blend, The 5th Element - 100% Petit Verdot, Port~style wines ~ VanAlstine Port and VanAlstine White. 93 acres with North America’s largest Dry Stone bridge, Loft Gallery of oil painter, Sherry Martin. Tastings in 1845 post & beam barn, on covered sundeck or picnic at North America’s Largest Dry Stone bridge. Wine by the glass can be enjoyed anywhere on the 93 acres accept the parking lot.
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We traveled to wineries in the Niagara area and Prince Edward County for quite a few years. We love going to the smaller wineries as they often offer a more unique wine tasting experience that often includes talking to the owner. Karlo Estates was the best wine tasting experiences we have ever had, bar none! When we walked into the barn that is the wine tasting area we found a group of people sitting at the wine tasting bar. We thought we had interrupted a group tasting but we quickly told that was not the case and asked to please join them. Sherry took the group through the whole range of wines and ports they offer and matched each tasting with food. A truly unique experience. Most surprising was how the taste of the chardonnay changed after eating a salty black olive - our chard hating friend loved the wine after the olive. The grapes used and the wine making process was explained for each wine. Karlo also makes a white port and a tawny port, which were excellent. We had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend a trip to Karlo Estates.

3  Thank GreenMcH
in 11 reviews
"sitting area"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I have been to Karlo estates 3 or 4 times. Each time has been a new and wonderful experience. Richard and his wife (The Owners) are very down to earth people. I was so impressed with their attitude toward wine. They are not your typical wine people. They try to promote wine in its trueist sense (FUN,FUN,FUN) They are not pretentious, and they are not wine snobs. They try to educate and enlighten people in a very gentle way, they are not in your face, they are true ambassadors of the wine industry. I have my Intermediate Wine Tasters through the wine Guild, and I have met alot of people who ruin the wine industry with their holier than thou attitude. Wine Conesseurs should be a thing of the past, but some old school idiots think that wine is only for the educated and not for the masses. Richard and his wife (I am sorry, but I can't remember her name) believe that wine should be drank, if you like it.!!! What a concept.... Their wines are very good and unique. They serve a CHOA Chardonnay that is quite different, but good all the same. Richard asked a local cooperage (Barrel maker) to make some barrels out of some different species of woods. The cooperage came up with a mixture of Cherry, Hickory, Oak, and Ash hence the name CHOA. Like I said, this winery steps outside the box, and is not afraid to experiment. Richard makes a port that is absolutely special. You must try this if you are a port drinker. I have purchased 7 bottles for myself and for gifts. I have given this port to other port drinkers and when I tell them where it is made, they don't believe me until I show them the bottle. The only complaint I have is the lack of washroom facilities. I realize that they are spending money on the winery and vines etc., but I truely believe that the washroom situation is hurting them more than they know. If you are coming to Prince Edward County for a wine tour, make sure Karlo Estates is on the list. You will not be dissapointed. I would rate this Winery 9 out of 10 only because of the washroom situation. Good luck this year

2  Thank Funholidayguy
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Sarah was our hostess and she delighted my wife and I with her product knowledge and pairings. As new residents to the county, we enjoyed ourselves immensely and encourage others to drop by for a visit.

We ended up purchasing 4 different wines. I had two favourite and my wife had her two favourite.

2  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were greated by the nice owner Richard. The place offers cheese and meats with your wine tasting. Great experience and very charming.

2  Thank Rob H