“Relaxed trendy family restaurant”
Review of Tall Poppy Cafe - CLOSED

Tall Poppy Cafe
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Relaxed trendy family restaurant”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Went based on recommendations from "others" not Trip Advisor... twice over the past weekend.
Our Friday lunch was delicious, although personally Spanish soup too spicy for my liking and choose not to finish.. One of their soups on Friday was already finished and a substitute was offered.Brie and Avocado sandwich,although very simple was delicious. Fresh breads and ingredients make for delicious sandwiches. I was very happy with the one time visit over the weekend.
However we wound up back there on the Saturday as there was a group of us. this time , once again they had run out of one of their soups and were substituting another.
Staff are great , making sure everything has been taken care of although not sure if genuine
,Both afternoons ,soup was substituted. Relaxed welcoming children s area make it a restaurant for all ages. Interesting heritage ambiance, however once in the weekend would have been enough. Food is good, natural ingredients used, somewhat limited menu.
Recommend if visiting with a diverse age range,however this is not on my must go back to list the next time .
many great restaurants to explore in this area

• Visited June 2013

Toronto, Canada
“A reservation?”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We rocked up here without reservations and the restaurant was empty. We were "attacked" by 5 staff all asking if we had a reservation. When we said "no", the staff poured over their reservation schedule, then decided they could give us a table - in a dark corner. The restaurant was empty and remained empty for the duration of our meal, which made me wonder why we got the out-of-the-way table.
Food and service were not memorable.

• Visited September 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“we happened on this small cafe - great stop”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

all other restaurants were closed - i think it was Tuesday night and alot of places close since they are open all weekend etc... with my food allergies they bent over to make something for me - the food was great and the service was excellent.

Visited July 2012
Toronto, ON
“Loved it!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a fantastic late lunch at the Tall Poppy Cafe last week. The service was amazing and the cafe is bright and fun. It would be great for a coffee and treat, brunch or lunch. I had the best salad. It was so fresh and the homemade toasted fennel dressing was outstanding. I used every last drop. I also had the Easter pie which was ground lamb with bits of bacon strips in a flaky buttery crust topped with whipped potatoes. Lamb is not my boyfriend's favourite, but you would never know by the number of times his fork found my plate. He had a fantastic black bean soup like no other I've tasted and a fresh tortilla filled with seasoned beef, a chunky salsa, cilantro, tomatoes and avocado. Very fresh. The service is as warm and inviting as the decor. I didn't notice the little kids play area at first, but it would be a nice touch for parents. The local beer was great and we took a lemon square and a chocolate cashew square for the road. Just fabulous. Would definitely recommend the Tall Poppy for lunch.

• Visited March 2013
Toronto
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs, crisp bacon, fruit, and the most delicious home made, whole grain bread. Coffee is reasonably priced, and you get your own refills. The service is warm, and friendly, and the atmosphere is funky. There are cosy chairs at the front, and an eclectic array of tables and chairs throughout. I'd love to return and try the very tempting desserts displayed near the cash register. The wifi wasn't working for some reason, but that's my only complaint.

• Visited March 2013