“Good hotel although terrible housekeeping staff member”

Aloft Vaughan Mills
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Vaughan
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Thomas, Canada
“Good hotel although terrible housekeeping staff member”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is close to major attractions Canadas Wonderland and Vaughn Mall which is a plus!!

We called down the night we arrived to have a few additional items brought up. The housekeeping staff member came to room without supplies and tried to argue with us about supplies that we asked for additional. The housekeeping lady never returned with supplies that we asked for.

Although the stay was average.

• Stayed July 2014
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Katie B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so sorry you were let down by one of our housekeepers. It is absolutely unacceptable that a staff member would argue with a guest and we have addressed this situation so that it will never happen again.

I am fortunate that this is an isolated incident and can reassure you that we have a great housekeeping team here at the Aloft and will monitor them closer to insure our valued guests are always treated with the uttermost respect and that you receive service promptly.

Matthew Rattray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Having stayed at four other hotels in the area, I can't believe that it took us this long to discover Aloft! The hotel is conveniently located adjacent to Vaughan Mills Mall and across the street from Wonderland. The rooms are clean and beds very comfortable. Most importantly, Stephanie and the rest of the front desk staff truly go the extra mile to give their guests the red carpet treatment. The housekeeping staff is also friendly, attentive and very personable. I can't recall ever being this impressed with the staff, even at a swanky five star hotel! I give Aloft Vaughan Mills a perfect score and will not be staying anywhere else in the area :)

Miranda

1 Thank spox11
Dear spox11

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Aloft Vaughan Mills. I will definitely pass your great comments regarding Stephanie on to her. She is definitely an asset.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This Aloft hotel is very well situated. It is located just in front of Vaughan Mills shopping centre. I mean you don't even need to cross the street, just walk across the parking lot.
So the location and the look of the hotel is very nice but the service wasn't that good. I mean it took my family and I about 1 hour to check in because they didn't prepare 2 connected rooms for us even if we reserved 2 connected rooms. And then, when we finally got to our room, we called the reception in order to get a little bed for the baby. 45 minutes later, we got the bed. It wasn't that bad, but it sure wasn't perfect and I didn't really enjoy my stay there, like everything was in slow motion... But I still recommend this place for its excellent location (especially if you're a shopaholic like me).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alice V
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Alice V

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us from your stay in August 2013. We have built quite and efficient team at the Aloft Vaughan Mills since your stay last year and I can assure you that check-in has improved dramatically. We were having some issues last year with our computers crashing, but that has since been addressed and they work much faster now.

Please accept my sincere apologies that it took so long to accommodate your Request for two connecting rooms. We only have a small handful of connecting rooms in the hotel so offer on a first come basis rather than guaranteeing them prior to arrival. Unfortunately we do not offer the availability to reserve prior to arriving at the hotel. We do make note of all requests and do our best to accommodate based on requests. Sometimes, particular room requests are subjected to delays based on the previous guest checking out later than 12 noon. Our Platinum and Gold SPG guests are entitled to late checkout's as part of their loyalty privileges so it can occasionally result in small delays, especially through our peak season but we do make every effort to accommodate all requests as soon and as promptly as we can.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. I hope you will give us another chance one day. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to arrival so I can make sure your arrival goes to plan.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a family wedding, and we all stayed in the hotel. We put signs on my 2 rooms so the cleaning lady would not come in. We even had a conversation with the cleaning lady and asked her not to go in the rooms. She did and even admits going in the room, but lied and said there were no sign. A computer was on the floor hidden under the bed and she kicked it or stepped on it and cracked the screen blacking out the top half of the screen. If the staff followed our instructions everything would have been fine. Management has taken the cleaning ladies side that there was no sign on the door and are unwilling to take any responsibility for the damage.

We had a person from our party stay in another room on Sunday. They were hanging out in the room with the do not disturb sign on the door. That cleaning lady knocked on the door and there was no answer so she came in. Our friend said to her "the sign said do not come in", so she left. YOUR BELONGINGS ARE NOT SAFE if you stay there, nor is your privacy. Clearly the cleaning crew does as they please. If something of yours gets broken MANAGEMENT WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. We went as high in the organization as we could, but clearly NO ONE CARES. There are plenty of other places to stay in Toronto including The Novetel across the parking lot!!!

Room Tip: Bring your own padlock! Pray you're not in a room next to the 20 years old partying with marijua...
69 Thank Lisa B
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Lisa B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the us and the online community about your recent stay.

It was definitely disappointing to learn of the situation with your laptop. I recognize that when such items are damaged, it causes inconvenience in a number of ways which I too have experienced on my travels. It’s regrettable that this impacted what should have otherwise been a refreshing stay for such a positive occasion as praised by many others attending the wedding.

Unfortunately the ‘Do Not Disturb’ Request sign suggested on your kids room was not noted by the housekeeper or her Supervisor, though other rooms within the party did. In follow up with the housekeeper who entered the room, she confirmed that some care (only changing bathroom towels) was provided to the room, but did not enter or perform her duties in the main section due to the state of the room. Specifically, the concern was the number of items and belongings which had been placed on the floor of the room itself which made it unserviceable.

Respectfully, hotels are not responsible for the care of belongings which are not secured within the safe or expressly provided to the hotel front desk for safekeeping. We provide in-room safes to secure belongings accordingly. As such, we do decline to accept any responsibility or liability with respect to your belongings.

We understand this determination is not as you expected, but hope you can understand why it has been made. As Starwood Preferred Guests, we truly do appreciate your patronage. It is our hope that you will consider returning to another of our hotels in the future for a more positive experience.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2014

For the second year in a row we have stayed at the Aloft. My girls even requested that we stay here again! We reserved a 2 queen bed room which is perfect for us! It is so close to everything like Canada's Wonderland (my office party was there), the huge mall across the street and the many places to eat around there! The rooms are big, the beds are comfortable and they are nicely decorated. The hotel is very quiet as you don't hear any noise from outside and the only time you hear something outside your room is when someone shuts their door too hard! We will definitely be back next year!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear achristinap

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear that you returned to stay at the Aloft Vaughan Mills. I am glad that you and your girls enjoyed their stay. We will definitely be looking out for you in 2015.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend recently stayed here on a trip to Toronto to go to Canada's Wonderland. It is perfectly situated if going to Canada's Wonderland is the main purpose of your trip, and there are lots of things around the hotel including restaurants and the Vaughan Mills outlet mall; however, you will most likely need to drive anywhere that you want to go, as it's not really in a walking friendly location.

The room we had was very clean, and the hotel itself is relatively new and in very good condition. It has a small pool, as well as a fitness room and small lounge area.

The biggest complaint that I have is that the hotel does not have an actual restaurant. Instead, it has a snack bar that is open 24 hours and offers pre-made sandwiches, drinks, etc., and in the morning there is a small breakfast buffet consisting of several hot items such as bacon, sausage, eggs and a make-your-own burrito bar.

This was a huge inconvenience for us as in the evening that we returned from Canada's Wonderland, we were extremely tired after having walked around the park all day, and we just wanted a decent meal without having to go far. We were so tired that we decided to just pick up a sandwich from the on-site snack bar. Unfortunately, the selection of sandwiches was limited to egg sandwiches (this was around 7pm in the evening), which we were not interested in, so we were forced to drive to a nearby restaurant in order to get a meal.

As for the breakfast buffet, we tried it one morning and although the food wasn't bad, I thought that the $12 per person price tag was a bit steep for what was offered.

Restaurant, or lack thereof, aside, if you're in need of a place to stay in Vaughan, and you don't mind leaving the hotel for a meal, I would recommend this place as a clean, quiet hotel in which to stay at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark N
Dear Mark N

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. I am glad to hear that your overall experience with us was Good. I am sorry that we do not have a Full Service Restaurant. As a Select Service property, we do not have a Restaurant which is also partly due to the location of the hotel. With us being surrounded by so many restaurants, a restaurant was not included in the design for the property. We do however offer some great snacks from Pizza to Wings to Cheese Cakes and muffins, and much more at the bar long with the 24/7 Grab and Go outlet in the Lobby which we are always adding too.

I will definitely share your feedback with the design team to keep in mind for future developments.

sudbury
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Just got back from two nights at this hotel . Close proximity to Wonderland was the selling feature.
The hotel is very modern, with a very European feel. Upon checkin, they did not have the double queen we booked, but were accomodated with two King room instead. That worked fine for us. Bravo. The lounge was quite nice as well.
My son forgot his wallet in the safe. We called the hotel and spoke to Stephanie who will be purolating it up. I was willing pay the charge, but the hotel is going to do it, no charge, even though it was our fault. Special thank you to Stephanie. We will be returning.

3 Thank greg066
Dear greg066

Thank you so much for your feedback. I was sure to pass on your comments to the team, and Stephanie. I am glad we were able to take good care of you and that we were able to return you son's wallet to him....there is nothing worse than forgetting something so valuable and I can absolutely empathize with his situation. I am also happy that the bedding situation was taken care of so that your family could be comfortably accommodated as well.

We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Vaughan,