“Blaming the customer is not a good strategy”

Aloft Vaughan Mills
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Vaughan
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 7, 2013

What really ruined my experience was that my room did not get cleaned and when I notified the front desk, they basically blamed me for putting a Do Not Disturb sign. I don't understand, when does good customer service mean deflect any responsibility and blame the customer. I took down my do not disturb sign after I woke up and left the room at 10 AM. I wrongly assumed that the cleaning staff would come back to clean the room. The thing that really peeved me off was in the morning as I checked out, I was reminded again that it was my fault for not getting my room cleaned. I would say the staff is a little too young and bit unprofessional. While the facilities are decent, the customer service level of the staff needs to improve. I actually think the main problem is that the hotel is understaffed - leading to the poor customer service culture.

Room Tip: Don't bother with breakfast, go to the mall for food.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacklyn S
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Jacklyn S

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor. I am definitely sorry that your room was not cleaned once your DND sign was removed. I have since spoken with the team and can reassure you that this will not happen again.

We do have a very new and young team here at the Aloft Vaughan Mills. They all have a lot of energy and a real desire to serve however, I do acknowledge a need for more empowerment training on how to handle situations where we do drop the ball. I am fortunate that it does not happen often, but we will be focusing on some thorough training so that this will not happen again. We definitely do not encourage blaming guests and for that, I am very sorry.

There are newer reviews for Aloft Vaughan Mills

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed one night - Saturday - booked 2 rooms - 1 adult - 4 teens.

This hotel is located directly across the parking lot from the Vaughan Mills Mall. Quick 2 minute walk to the mall and various restaurants/shops/entertainment.

Very close to Wonderland - less than 5 minute drive from parking lot to parking lot.

Booked last minute as previously booked Holiday Inn Express was not suitable upon arrival (had advised they were 10 minutes from the mall - took 40 min with Saturday traffic). Requested 2 adjoining rooms and were accommodated with no issue. Stephanie checked us in and did her best to ensure all needs were met.

Hotel was clean, modern and quite. 4 teen girls in next room and still had a peaceful night sleep - good soundproofing! Comfy beds with lots of pillows.

Room had a coffee maker, microwave, mini fridge, safe, iron and ironing board. No dressers to unpack for lengthy stays. There was a place to hang clothing.

Complimentary bottled water in the room was a nice touch.

No complimentary breakfast however there was free coffee in the lobby. Breakfast started at $10.00 per person for a small standard buffet. Items outside the buffet (i.e. pastries) were an extra charge. McDonalds/Timmies very close by for a cheaper alternative. Sit down breakfast place located in the parking lot of the Vaughan Mills Mall for a full service breakfast.

Had an issue with the blinds in the first rooms we were issued. We were quickly moved. One note - our first rooms were on the first floor - looked directly out into the parking lot with spaces in front of the window so anyone in a vehicle was staring right back at us. Unless you are going to keep your blinds closed at all times I would recommend a room higher than the first floor. Our next rooms were on the 3rd floor and there were no privacy issues.

Pool is smaller than it appears in the pictures but sufficed although it was extremely warm and not very refreshing.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Aloft. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff at the front desk was helpful. I liked the atmosphere in the lounge and had a nice conversation with the bartender, as she was nice and friendly. Great location. Definitely will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night. I was really impressed with the hotel. It was clean, very modern, and the staff was very, very friendly. I've stayed at many hotels including the Marriott and Hilton, and this location by far is impressive. It was so close to the mall and lots of restaurants around the area. All walking distances.

You definitely get the best bang for your buck staying here. I would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Leng T

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Aloft Vaughan Mills. I am happy to hear you had a great stay with us. We hope you will consider us next time you are looking for accommodation in Vaughan.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here 1 night; Room was clean with a hip simplistic decor. Was good value for the price but lacked amenities I'm used to in similar hotels (Closet/Robes/Slippers) The staff was friendly and the location can’t be beat. Right near the mall and tones of restaraunts.

Room Tip: Bring your own slippers
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Bed-lessBirthdayBoy

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am happy to hear that you found your room clean and love our location.

The Aloft Vaughan Mills is a 'Select Service' hotel, and a Vision of W Hotels. Being that we are 'Select Service', we do not offer slippers and robes and other 'Full Service' amenities. While many guests do enjoy the luxury amenities in some of the larger hotels, the Aloft aims to maintain attractive prices for our guests by reducing some of the amenities found in more expensive hotels.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Vaughan,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed here on September 7, 2013. When I woke up in the morning and the cover of the comforter was flipped over, reveling the comforter I saw a huge, dried on booger on the comforter. I was disgusted! I took a picture and went to the front desk to show them and tell them. I was informed that the manager would be told and would contact me before I left. 3 hours later I checked out and had not been contacted by the manager. The person at the front desk was someone else and when I told her what had happened and that I had not been contacted by the manager she informed me that the manager would not be in until the next day and I could call him to discuss it and gave me his business card with a local number on it, not even a toll free number. Absolutely disgusted.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brenda H

Dear Brenda H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I am sorry your concern was not addressed by a Manager at the time, however, our Front Desk is empowered to handle such concerns from guests given the opportunity. While our Duty Manager made attempts to contact you, he was not successful in reaching you.

The Aloft Vaughan Mills is proud of their cleanliness record scoring a 97% for Room Cleanliness in the recent Quality Audit. I can reassure you that every bed is stripped and cleaned after every guest and we are fortunate to have great housekeeping team with attention to detail.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Tonight is the 1st of two nights we are staying here. The service has been excellent. The environment is amazing. The colours, design, décor. From outside, continuing to the lobby and into your room. aloft has a modern, classy feel. The price is comparable to any hotel chain, but it feels like we should have paid a lot more then we did. Location is perfect for us Northern's, across the street from Vaughan Mills Mall, and 25km from downtown Toronto. We love the lava lamp style floor tiles in the elevators too!!

-J & V

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Matthew_Rattray, General Manager at Aloft Vaughan Mills, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Jeff M

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is always good to hear that someone enjoyed there stay and liked the Brand. The Aloft is definitely unique in style and vibe. I am also happy that my team took good care of you.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will keep us in mind next time you are looking for accommodation in Vaughan,

Kind Regard