“Better than average, but not very good”

Island Mix Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #517 of 829 Restaurants in Vaughan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Description: Island Mix Restaurant and Lounge welcomes you to fun, food, drinks, music and events. Away from the Caribbean Islands, our relaxing environment will take you back to the distant islands of fun, cheer and delectable dishes. Island Mix’s lunch and dinner menus are a definate hit with our customers and our aim is to continue to serve our satisfied guests for years to come. We have a in-depth menu that is all about authentic food and drinks; all prepared from original Caribbean & West Indian Chinese recipes. Dishes are prepared by experienced chefs who enjoy introducing these delicacies to our international friends. We also provide a kid’s menu for our young diners and provide catering services for events and venues of all types. Island Mix’s Bar, Lounge and Patio areas serve-up fine signature cocktails that are handcrafted by our Bar Staff using fresh fruits, fine liquor and island mixers. Our weekly specials from Monday to Friday include selected appetizers, fine food, exotic drinks and other Island Mix offers. Entertainment includes specialty DJ Nights and Live Performances giving our customers a complete Caribbean experience. Join us…
Winnipeg, Canada
“Better than average, but not very good”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've been here twice now - once two years ago and then again a week ago. The food is a treat for me, because I can't get it where I live. On my last visit, we ordered the chicken fried rice, lo mein, potato balls and fried wontons.

The potato balls were excellent. The fried rice and lo mein were ok. Nothing special and actually kind of greasy.

The wontons were over done.

The service was very slow. We ordered drinks, 15 minutes later we didn't receive them. We asked the server and he said they were on the way. He came back 5 minutes after and asked us to repeat our order.

• Visited June 2013

The shores of Lake Simcoe
“Flavour, flavour, flavour!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I had tried Island Mix about a year and a half ago, and for some reason never got around to returning until now. My husband had the jerk chicken which he loved. I begged a taste and I found it to be excellent. The rice and peas was the best I've ever had outside my Jamaican friend's kitchen. I had the chicken curry wrap, and it was very flavourful. We found both dishes to be well prepared, flavourful and nicely spiced - but don't read that to mean hot unless you want it to. The portions were huge, and both my husband and I took enough home for a hearty lunch the next day. There was only one waitress when we visited, and the restaurant was not full but still quite busy. We found the waitress to be fast and efficient, and very friendly. She literally ran around the restaurant, but was always smiling and joking with all of the patrons. We thought the price was very reasonable. I have told my sister and brother-in-law that we will take them here next time they have a jerk chicken craving. We will be back sooner rather than later, this time!

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Fantastic Food, Great Service”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We used our Groupon, and had no issues at all redeeming, this. My overall experience,

The food came within minutes of ordering. We did not wait at all, it was hot, and looked like it was suppose to look.- very impressed.

The service is great. We did not wait at all, and I noticed that there was only one server, as the waitress was with a couple who appeared to be working on a catering order. This server did a fantastic job of serving us, and it appeared he was kitchen staff by his attire. He did a good job of serving, and ordering food.

I loved the chicken chilli was my favourite dish- highly recommend. We we both impressed with the quality of food, and service. It was starting to become busy, and since there was only one server, it started to unwind, but the waitress noticed the crowd and jumped in to help. It was a blip, but she saved it.

Overall this is a great dinner, with the group on, you cannot go wrong at all. The overall restaurant is a standard size, standard decor. The food is great, and I found the service was on par at all times.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Matthew_1975_11
Toronto
“Pleasant experience from my end for sure...”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is my fourth time dining at this restaurant and the food is very consistent.
I always order the chilli chicken or curry oxtail. the dishes were very flavourful and can be a bit spicy. For a person that doesn't eat a whole lot of spicy food, i can actually handle it.

The service is pretty good for most of the time. They were prompt to serve us once we were seated. The food came fairly quickly.
we arrived around 6pm on a sunday night. so if you were to come any later, you might have to wait a bit longer than usual for your food since there's usually one waitress most of the time.
We already noticed a few impatient frustrated diners rolling their eyes and constantly looking back to see where the waitress was with their food.

All in all, i will definitely return. Alot of selection and decent prices.
One of my favorite jamaican restaurants in the GTA.

• Visited March 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Don't bother”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We tried this place hoping that if they were good, it would be another Caribbean dining option for us close to our neighbourhood. I called to make a reservation with an online voucher, and was told that deal expired. I said no it hadn't, & gave the expiry date. I was put on hold. She came back and repeated, yes, it expired. I told her no, & again told her when the expiry was. I was put on hold again. Same thing when she came back on the phone, she tried to insist it expired. So she put another person on to speak to me. Finally, this second person took the reservation. This should have been a warning to me, this bad start to eating here.
We ordered the goat roti, and curry goat & rice. The small portions were alright, nothing special, no particular memorable taste. We also ordered the plantain appetizer, which the server forgot. She didn't come back to our table, and was nowhere to be seen. We're almost finished our meal when she finally comes and asks how everything is. When I mention the plantain, she turns away quickly and says it's coming. She just went to place the order! It came when we were finished and leaving, paying the bill. My husband took it to go, but I felt we should have left it, or shouldn't have been charged for it. To top it all off, it wasn't even ripe, and only partially cooked, so it was tasteless.
I don't know if the poor treatment was because we used a voucher. But the point of restaurants participating in online voucher deals is that they need the business, so they should be sure to treat those customers well. We try a place to determine if we'll return! From this negative experience, I certainly won't go back or recommend it.

• Visited August 2011