“Beautiful hotel, but didn't handle my issue properly”

Novotel Toronto Vaughan Centre
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Vaughan
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband, daughter and I stayed here on July 23rd for one night. We were placed on the 4th floor amid dozens of guests who were all attending a wedding together.Why would Novotel do this? A family amid a bunch of guests who looked like they were all far too young to be renting rooms in the first place. Around 1:00 in the morning, they all returned to the hotel and were drunk, loud, obnoxious. They were slamming dorrs, blaring music, banging on doors, etc. I nicely asked them to quiet down but they basically told me to @#$%$ off.. Around 2:30 someone banged on our door yet again, so my husband went to the door very angry and the people knocking said they thought it was their room. I could see the manager in the hall, so I told him we were angry and trying to sleep but these drunken idiots were making that impossible. He said he was aware as another guest had complained and he looked like he was handling it. After that the noise mostly quieted down.
When we checked out in th emorning, I asked the woman checking us out if she was aware of what happened on our floor the night before. She said yes. Although she said "sorry aobut that" I was disappointed that given we got almost no sleep at all, they didn't offer us breakfast, a discounted room for future, nothing. I realize they are not obligated to do this, but it just doesn't make good business sense, to know we had a poor stay, and to do nothing to try to make it right.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank mboyle
There are newer reviews for Novotel Toronto Vaughan Centre

Reviewed July 18, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. It was only 25 min to get downtown and perfect for leaving the next day as it is close to the 400, 401 and 407. It is right beside Vaughan Mills shopping centre and very close to Wonderland. It was quiet and clean, with spacious rooms, friendly staff, lots of free parking, and good air conditioning. Has a pool, hot tub and exercise room.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This hotel is brand new and it's obviously super nice to stay in a new place. The staff was really friendly and accommodating. My one minor disappointment was that the bar was closed at 11:45 when we went down for a drink. Included buffet breakfast was very good. Location is excellent for families, with Vaughn Mills shopping centre walking distance and Canada's Wonderland a few minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This worked out really well for us. We stayed in room 209 and had 2 queen beds and plenty of room. I liked this room because sometimes I just don't need or want a 5 star hotel. This room was plenty fine for $129.00 plus tax. It was clean and comfortable and fairly quiet. Parking was easy. Check in and out was hassle free. It was simply a pleasant hotel stay. Ally at the front dest was extremely helpful and cheerful. All and all...no complaints! Check out my other reviews and you will find that I often stay in first rate hotels.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lindz3
Reviewed June 23, 2011

After a long day at Canada's Wonderland, the hotel was only a 5 minute drive away which was perfect. Room was extremely clean, spacious and had everything we needed for our one night stay. Kids were impressed by the talking elevator, buffet breakfast and indoor pool/whirlpool. I was very pleased with value of room and food, helpfulness of staff and proximity to park and shopping. Overall, an excellent stay and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Not sure how this hotel will attract guests once its fixtures go out of style. This hotel has sleek, modern design, ranging from bathroom fixtures to the lobby decorations. It looks great, but that doesn't mean it is. We didn't find any major problems, and our stay was essentially fine, but there were lots of little problems, and as many people know, it's the little things that count. For example:
- The beds have no sheets, just a sheet over the mattress and a comforter. This is the case in all the rooms. Weird
- The bathroom is lovely but it has very little counter space and the doors don't even close all the way. I had to get my girlfriend to crank the TV every time I had to go "number two" because it was very incriminating. There's even a crack between the bathroom's saloon-style doors that I could see out of (and obviously others into) when they were as closed as they could be
- The room service breakfast was nice, except they gave us no ketchup with our eggs and hashbrowns, and our friends got nothing at all to put on their toast. They also put the coffee in the pitcher marked "tea" and vice versa. Also, there was no space to check off more than one breakfast order into the room service card. We were two in the room and wanted different things, so we had to just write it all in from scratch.
- It took more than 10 minutes to get served in the on-site lounge even though there were only two other customers there at the time.
- They gave us a super confusing bill upon checkout that took several minutes to resolve, even though it should have been really basic.

So that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. They didn't exactly knock it out of the park service wise. The front desk staff were for the most part friendly and helpful, and the hotel is pretty well the only game in town at the Vaughan Mills/Canada's Wonderland area, so it is what it is, but if you're going there don't expect to be dazzled, and don't expect your money's worth as it's not cheap.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Had a one night stay for business at the new Novotel Vaughn hotel. So new the exterior stonework isn't quite finished on the backside it would appear. Cool apple PC's right next to check in, modern decor, and really nice spacious rooms. TV was too small, 32 inch I think....for the price of a 42 inch flatscreen why bother going with something so small? The tv channels that were in HD were fine but others had poor reception. The coffee maker came with one coffee filter packet which made only 1 cup of coffee....the coffee maker looked like something from a dollar store. That being said, double doors on the bathroom and very modern expensive fixtures in the bathroom and living area were really nice. Beds and linens were new and comfortable, service was good but they couldn't print my bill since I went through an on line service??

• Stayed: May 2011