“A true "dump"”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Baymouth
The Wigwam Gift Shoppe & Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in South Baymouth
Chicago, Illinois
“A true "dump"”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've never taken the time to write a hotel review on line,but this place needs to be avoided at all costs. The cottage is very worn and dirty. Dirty dishes stacked in cabinets. Uncovered electrical outlets/switches. No blinds on windows. Broken, dirty, mildew riddled furniture that is too worn and dirty for a frat house. This place is horrible, I'd give it negative stars if I could. Also it's very, very expensive. Finally, as a final insult you'll be surrounded by much cleaner, nicer places that you'll wish you stayed in. Avoid at all costs. This is a great example of a place that put a little money into their website, but they haven't spent a dime on this room in a long time (I'm typing this from a mildews, broken couch). Seriously, it cost like 59 cents to get a cover for a light switch, this place needs help.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ChicagoQ_12

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was quite surprised to get the keys to the nice spacious cabin we got for the night. Had I known the cabin was so awesomely nice, we would have stayed for more than just the night.

Don't know why anyone would give this place a bad review. People just have to learn that you can't always get what you want. But we got more than we expected. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Purpledragon110703
Alassio, Italy
Reviewed June 29, 2012

What a dive. Had to unplug the clock to plug in computer. Have to leave the bathroom light on to charge cell phone. Fridge was unplugged so had to start it. There is a lovely-cross breeze here so that is good. It does have 2 double beds but carpet is ancient and covered with dead flies and leftover popcorn curls. There is no Kleenex, but there is toilet paper. Yahoo! Bedding is old and we refused to get out of our clothes, choosing to sleep on top of the bedspread on a towel. TV had no satellite connection, though other units seemed to have dishes of their own. Definitely not worth the $122.04 we paid for the night. The whole place needs a major face lift..... Don’t recommend this place – if you HAVE to stay in South Baymouth, suggest staying elsewhere -- perhaps your car?

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank suzaieq

Travelers are raving about these South Baymouth hotels

Winnipeg
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have never written a review for anything online but feel that travelers should be warned. We purchased a one night accommodation in the "honeymoon suite". It was located on the second floor of the building that looked like it had been used as a garage. The moment we opened the door the strong smell of paint thinner hit our nostrils. It dissipated as we walked up the stairs but that was nothing compared to what we saw next. Spiders and spider webs everywhere. When my wife and I finally cleared all the webs and spiders away from the walls, corners, window blinds, etc. we counted over 20. The room came with a little upper deck. When we stepped on to the deck we discovered even more spiders and webs all along the exterior wall. At this point I went down and asked the staff for a broom to sweep them off the exterior walls. As I was sweeping away the spiders I noticed the lawn chairs on the deck. They were filthy, covered in black soot and other gung. the final straw came for me personally when my wife went to close the window blind on one of the windows to discover that the half the blades for the venetian blinds were missing. So here we are on the second floor of a converted garage with paint thinner stored below, sharing accommodations with part of the spider population of South Baymouth and the need to go into the washroom to get changed. All this for just a mere $90.00 (taxes in).

I have done a great deal of traveling and stayed in some rather barren accommodations. Both my wife and I can put up with a great deal but this one takes the cake. I don't believe anyone on staff really cares to much about the condition of the rooms. Here is some advice if you want accommodations in South Baymouth. Look somewhere else. There are a number of other places around that may cost a bit more but are worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hank D
Nottingham
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Was on our honeymoon and stayed here as part of our 2100 mile journey around North America/Canada etc. and must say was disappointed. We arrived appox. 3.30pm and it was very foggy. Unfortunately told nowhere near to get a drink and nowhere to get any food - yes we could have got back in the car and driven somewhere but after a long journey we actually just wanted to unload bags and park up and go eat, have a drink and explore on foot. Not a chance, admit cannot control the weather, not very easy to explore in the fog. Anyhow, chalet we were shown to was basic and cost approx $80 (canadian dollars) stayed in much better and much cheaper. Not totally clean either, would not have used tea/coffee making equipment in room if you had paid me. Walked across way to what I can only describe as a transport cafe (had some good food in transport cafes), told could order bottle beer but to be drunk on premises only. Had "English Fish & Chips" (their advertising) and caesar salad, was all disgusting - how can anyone get a salad wrong and as for cremated french fries and burnt offerings as fish? this with 2 bottles of beer and 1 diet coke $32 - all except the drink ended up being thrown away. Back to chalet only to find door had not locked and did not lock, had to push settee up against door at night whilst asleep. Nowhere to go, no other choices, so t.v. it was!!!! Shame really as perhaps some sun and no fog might have given us better options to explore. Though, must say place so handy for the ferry which we caught early next morning. The gift shop is good if you want that sort of thing and the staff very nice, just not much else! Seems like place only opens when one of the 2 ferries per day come in, then all shuts?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank denNottingham
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My Aunt and I stayed here in July 2009. The cabin was divided into two units. We had 2 double beds - very comfortable - very clean. The room also had a bar fridge, a colour TV, a small kitchen table with 4 chairs, a ceiling fan and a separate washroom with tub/shower. Everything was clean. The unit was carpeted. Walls are pine. Very cozy. Lots of windows. Couldn't hear the people in the next unit. We could see the Chi-Cheemaun ferry enter and exit the dock from our windows. We were only about 100 yards from the ferry dock. Lots of places close by to eat. A terrific place to stay! We will be back for sure and I highly recommend Wigwam Cottages/Motel. Oh - a great gift shop is attached too.

• Stayed July 2009
#5 of 7 in Little Current
Mindemoya Motel
Mindemoya Motel
#3 of 3 in Mindemoya

Been to The Wigwam Gift Shoppe & Motel? Share your experiences!