“What took them so long?”

Elk & Finch Coffee Pub
Ranked #11 of 26 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Like many other reviewers, we're baffled that our (very good) meal took over an hour to hit our table. Our waitress (one of three or four) visited us exactly twice. Our plates were never taken away, my wife's water sat empty, and we finally gave up on dessert and had to go ask for the bill. We left no tip. This place needs to take a hard look at its service.

1  Thank David B

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We went to the Elk & Finch for a dinner while we were on vacation at our cottage north of Wiarton. We arrived in Southampton, took a long walk along the boardwalk then went for our dinner at the Elk & Finch. We sat on the outdoor balcony upstairs. We really enjoyed our food choices and the very relaxing atmosphere. We both had a pasta, Greek salad and bruschetta. We were disappointed that they were sold out of the carrot cake, a good reason for us to go back again. The coffee aroma was lovely... This would also be a great place to go for coffee and dessert.

2  Thank Paula M
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Went here for a special event. Just terrible service. While the portion was large, the whitefish was bland and over cooked. Waited forever to get a drink and servers avoided us. Don't even consider going to the Elk and Finch.

3  Thank db08222014e
Behonest55, Owner at Elk & Finch Coffee Pub, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Thank you for writing your review following you visit to The Elk and Finch last week.I think any fair minded person would join me in questioning your motives in writing such a negative review.Your report of your visit to The Elk and Finch does now allow me to respond to give full transparency.

When you arrived at The Elk for your dinner you were doomed .Your group was loud ,obnoxious and intoxicated.You were asked several times to keep it down. We were hosting a 100th Birthday party which your group was disturbing .When you booked your party 2 days earlier we informed you this event was going on.We also informed service would be slow. You said " That is fine we will be in no rush". Nor did you book your group as a Bachelorette party as you suggested.

You are correct however that your drink service was slow to non existent. The law is very clear about my responsibilities serving alcohol. You are actually fortunate I did not call the police.

As the owner I was called at my home to come to The Elk and deal with your table . In trying to speak to you in a calm respectful intelligent fashion you called me a G D F-----liar. and that you had been waiting 2 G D F--- hours. You did so in front of my staff and a restaurant full of customers. That kind of behavior will in no way get a positive response from me .Nor will it promote my staff giving you better service. The affect actually will be quite the opposite .After I had caught you in 3 lies and listened to your foul mouth I had lost all interest in dealing with you..My concern focused on protecting the 100 birthday party from your group. Members of your group actually dropped by the next day to apologize for your behavior .I thank them for that.

My systems allow me to view the date and time you booked, your arrival ,time you order, time were served. Serveillance can be a wonderful tool when dealing with some guests.I strongly recommend that you examine your behavior before making ridiculous unfounded allegations that I can prove were not true.

The Elk and Finch has never done "Fast Food " We are not a reheat operation.The bistro concept has always been sit relax ,sip a drink or two, talk . Enjoy food made to order from scratch with quality fresh ingredients in a quiet and welcoming environment .. Maybe not the best choice for a Bachelorette party?

So life being about choices...please choose not to visit The Elk and Finch in the future.

Sam Stubbert
Owner

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Went here on Sunday night place was empty and now I know why. Waited over an hour for our food and there was only one other table! I had the beet salad with chicken. Very bland and possibly the most over priced terrible salad ever. A few specks of goat cheese in it. No flavour. Others had pizza ok nothing special. Waited way too long for salad and pizza. Over priced. 130.00 dollars without drinks or dessert.

2  Thank Foodieliscious
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Elk & Finch is the best place in Southampton to get a fresh brewed cup of coffee. They roast their beans on site!
The bakery items are phenomenal - award-winning, in fact! Try the butter tart. Marjorie has been there for more years than I can remember and takes pride in her work.
The food is second to none! Bill and Ian are tremendous chefs. Our town is lucky to have them. The food is local, fresh and made on site. The daily specials are their creations and are something to write home about! Try it, you'll see.

3  Thank Christine J