“Great Location, helpful owners and good facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Huron Haven Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Southampton
Huron Haven Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Southampton
Bristol
“Great Location, helpful owners and good facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

1 street off a beautiful beach, close to the centre of town but quiet. The owners are really helpful. The rooms are dated but comfortable and well appointed. You have everything you need and if you need anything else Joan will get it for you. The BBQ facilities are also good. i would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to BBQ get a room in the corner of the courtyard
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a week this summer. Usually we stay at a friend's cottage, but thought we'd try something different. Our stay was even better than expected! The room was very clean and fully stocked; the kitchenette had everything we needed for the week's stay. The location was great, too - seconds away from the shops and the beach. The owners were helpful with giving us directions, and the staff were very friendly. And even though the parking lot was full, the place was surprisingly quiet. We could even hear the waves crashing on the beach at night! We really enjoyed our vacation here and plan to come back next spring.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
Woodstock, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

I used to stay at this motel for one overnight stay each summer just to enjoy being back in Southampton again which was the holiday place of my childhood. I always liked that it was so close to the beach and downtown so I could just walk wherever I wanted to go. It was also a fairly quiet location and the rooms were decent - that is all I needed as I just wanted to spend my time enjoying the beach and the town.
This year I called to once again make a reservation. I spoke to the couple that own the motel....first the wife who then turned me over to her husband. I was only trying to find out info about whether I could book a single night on a weekend (as I couldn't remember what nights of the week I had stayed in the past) and for some reason they got extremely argumentative with me as if I was trying to be difficult which I wasn't in the least. I was simply trying to clariy whether I could stay on a Fri or Sun night for a one-night stay if a Sat night was not an option. If they hadn't started being so rude on the phone, I would have explained that I was willing to come on a week night if need be. All I wanted was clarification and that seemed to make them think I was giving them a hard time which was the last thing I would do. I always had wonderful memories of going up to Southampton and staying for the night. The location was perfect with me and I never had any problems dealing with the owners in the past. This time on the phone, they suddenly became very belligerent and I couldn't understand why. They basically said that no, I had obviously NEVER stayed there before if I didn't understand about the weekend bookings and then the owner said he was tired of talking to me and hung up.
I was completely shocked at their behaviour and it ruined the happiness of planning my trip for this year. It left me with a horrible feeling of being treated badly and so now I know that sadly, I will never stay in that location again. Anyone who would treat customers that way should not be running a business.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Niagara Falls, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I discovered Southampton back in the 1980's, when I dated a college friend who was from Port Elgin. I fell in love with the place. For many years I was unable to go back, but now I make two or three trips there a year, and have been doing so since the late 90's, and I always stay at the Huron Haven Motel. For myself, I much prefer staying in a small, homey motel like this rather than a large chain. Some of the rooms are rather small, but you have all the amenities, and for me, that's just fine. The owners, Art and Rita, and terrific people and have always treated me great, and that's why I keep coming back. Parking is rather restricted, and there is no swimming pool or anything like that, but I don't need a pool and I have always found a place to park my car, so I have no complaints. You can sit outside your room in the evening and socialize with the other guests. You can have a BBQ if you want. Ice is provided free. A short walk around the corner and you are on the beach, watching the gorgeous sunsets over Lake Huron. Another short walk up the street and you can have dinner at Duffy's Fish & Chips, which is a fine British-style restaurant, with all the good pints on tap! They even have mushy peas! There is entertainment at the Walker House across the street on weekends, and several restaurants to choose from, or fast food if that's what you like. Wednesdays you can take in the large flea market on the beach in Port Elgin, and on Thursday evenings there is a cruise night in Southampton, with many beautiful old classic cars. Oh, and yes, Southampton now has a Timmy's, for those of you who need your fix!

For me, this is the most beautiful place in Ontario, and I would never consider staying anywhere else but the Huron Haven Motel when I am there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marty6135
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband and I, along with my cousin and her husband stayed here over the weekend in Oct of 2008. We had such a wonderful time here and everything was clean and neat. Isobel kept us in clean sheets and towels and looked after us since the owners were away on a trip. The motel is old, but perfectly fine for a stay of a couple days or even a couple weeks. We had a kitchenette and made quite a few of our meals there except when we went to the Highview Restaurant for a late lunch(they give a 10% discount to people who stay at the motel). The bathroom is small but fully functional . We had the place entirely to ourselves which was wonderful and made for an enjoyable trip.
I have read reviews about Southampton which say they need a Hampton Inn or some other chain motel there....NO, NO, NO.....that would ruin the ambiance of this wonderful town. My mother (and aunt) were born there and we have been back quite often just to reminisce over old times. If you get the chance to visit this wonderful little town give Huron Haven a chance...it is a quaint small motel and the owners, Art and Rita, are wonderful. We are going back this year the end of October again....I would like to make this a yearly event for sure!! Nice to be able to walk to the beach, downtown and generally anywhere around town.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
Quality Inn
#2 of 6 in Port Elgin
Super 8 Port Elgin
Super 8 Port Elgin
#1 of 6 in Port Elgin

Been to Huron Haven Motel? Share your experiences!