“Sunset in paradise at 'Sunset' Cottage”
Review of Blue Moon Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Purdy
Blue Moon Retreat
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Here I am sitting out on the deck at 9:00 am surrounded by the beauty in stillness Mother Nature offers. There is not a ripple on the lake, clear glass all the way to the tiny island with its array of trees.
The sunset last evening was beyond wonder, lasting forever as the fire of the sun’s reflection danced across the lake. I was lucky enough to have my camera at hand, clicking many photos to keep us in memories after we depart, until we come again ... and come again we will!
The cottage was everything promised and more. No detail in our comfort was overlooked. We checked out of our busy lives and into paradise this week. Thank you Pat, Fran & staff for this opportunity.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 9, 2010

I just got back from a long weekend at the Shangri-La cottage (at Blue Moon Retreat) with 7 friends. We were met by the owner and made to feel very welcome and immediately at home. This has become an annual holiday for my friends and I, however this was our first visit during the summer. We have rented the cottage in the winter in the past and had a fantastic time, however we were interested to see what it was like in the warmer months.
We were definitely NOT disappointed! The Shangri-La cottage comfortably accommodated all 8 adults and our 3 dogs. We enjoyed the luxury of having a wine fridge in the kitchen, and the hot tub was a wonderful way to warm up after a dip in the lake! The main resort was within swimming distance and we enjoyed the water trampoline and other inflatable toys that were anchored there. We also had a lovely bbq lunch on the deck one afternoon, and made use of the canoe, paddle boat, and row boat to take our group over to the island early one evening.
There are too many ammenities and wonderful perks to list here! From a fully stocked kitchen, to a cupboard full of fun games, PS3, movies, books, bbq, fireplace, lots of seating around the campfire, decks and balconies overlooking a breathtaking view of the lake - it's everything we needed in our vacation and more!
Thank you so much to the very warm and friendly staff at Blue Moon who provide us with such a fantastic home away from home! We'll be seeing you again soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I went for our honeymoon and stayed in Sunset- I was hoping to get away to an all inclusive resort- but this was even better! Everything was so clean and the little extras didn't go unnoticed- off candles, speakers in the sauna, radio, games, books, robes, deck, barbeque, water cooler with unlimited amonts of water. The view was spectacular, the fishing was great and the owners even brought over a congratulations card along with a bottle of champaigne!
We will definitely be coming back!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

From the moment we got to the Blue Moon Retreat we were on to a winner. The cottages were spotless. The Main Cottage Island View has the View it says. The owners didn't forget anything water, Cleaning detergents, towels, pillows etc. Bunky was a little old but very well kept, my boys loved having their own pad. Everything that was mention was on site. Pat the owner dropped by to welcome us and all the other guests were very friendly but gave us our own space many were returning guests. There were plenty of canoes, pedal boats etc. I wish I was still there hanging on the deck listening to the Loons or watching the Chip Monks hopping from tree to tree or the Rabbit eating the flowers in the garden. Well done for getting everything so right so many get it so wrong.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We spent a wonderful four days at Blue Moon. My husband and I were looking for a cottage stay fairly close to home (Ottawa) to go to with our two teenage boys. Blue Moon met our expectations perfectly. There was something for everyone! We rented the Island View cottage and the bunky - the boys stayed in the bunky and enjoyed having their own place. They also enjoyed the satellite TV (WAY more channels than at home!) and internet access. The large deck on the main cottage was perfect for watching the beautiful sunsets, enjoying morning coffee or just relaxing with a book. There was even a little deck right by the water down the hill from the cottage which was perfect for sipping cocktails and watching the activity on the lake.

We enjoyed the lake immensely. The swimming was lovely and the humongous water toys were great fun. When we tired of swimming there were kayaks, canoes, pedal boats and row-boats to choose from. Plus, there was tennis, badminton, volleyball and basketball!

The cottage itself had everything we needed, even spare batteries for the TV remotes! On our last day we discovered a cupboard full of games which would have been wonderful if we'd had rainy weather.

We will definitely return to Blue Moon. It is a lovely place to go as a family or to accommodate a group of families or friends.

Thank you!

The Fox Family

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Our stay was from Jun 18- Jun21/2010
JUST got back today, and let me tell you!
This has been our 7TH year going to Blue Moon Retreat. We had rented the Chalet, as we do every year. We always look forward every year for this weekend to arrive. For us working people to take a weekend off and getaway and enjoy our own vacation. Or so we thought it was OUR vacation. Pat, one of the part owners would not leave us alone!
The review below us, has described our encounter with Pat. Accusing us of mistreating the chalet and the property.- Lets just say we treat this cottage as if it was our own, we love the facilities and the amenties, therefore (up until this experience) we have been returning guests. Not only do we come every year, we recommened tons of family and friends and co-workers to enjoy BMR.- Pat continuously drove his truck and parked it infront of our rental to tell us irrelevant things like "if sparks fly any where near the cottage, it can cause a fire and you are responsible", he also told us that we were "immature" about how we were looking after the fire. --I don;t know what this man is thinking!- We might be young- but we are young professionals! What kind of management tells their own guests that? We definately felt as if we got discrimated against. Pat was being very rude at how he approached us, he was being very intrusive on what was supose to be our weekend getaway.
Another issue was the hot water tank breaker was broken- so we had not hot water for one whole day! Could you imagine how inconvient it is to have no hot water for showers, dishes, laundry. etc. - Very dissapointed in that.
We always enjoy Blue Moon, but this year, our experience was far from memorable.
If Pat was not a people person, he should not be apart of the hospitality and service industry. -Whats a good place without good service?
In the end, don't slap the hands that feeds you! We'll send out business else where. Ciao.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank Tran0180
Reviewed June 15, 2010

My husband and I have been vacationing with our friends annually at Blue Moon for the past 5 years and always have an incredible time, that is up until this year. Upon our arrival this year we were greeted or should I say berated by Pat (the owner). He came at us with various accusations of our mistreatment of the rental cottages and saying we should have been blacklisted because his cleaners apparently took 2 extra hours to clean after we checked out. I would like to point out that as I have mentioned this was year 5 for us and every year we leave the cottages in what I would consider excellent shape because we want to return the next year. Not once has anything been broken or gone missing, and upon checkout the dishes are washed, bedding is stripped and piled in front of the washer (until this year) and the last person out mops right up to the door. When we told Pat of these facts his response was "Did you do the laundry?" He then said a pair of snowshoes was left covered in mud hanging on the wall. I don't think I have ever heard of any motel that you need to wash the bedding\dishes\floor before you check out! Isn't the point of vacationing not having to do those things? When I asked Pat why none of these things were addressed when we re-booked our stay a year ago he told us the employee who re-booked us should have told us and he wasn't going to talk to her/get her involved because she is going through some personal issues right now. He then spouted more conflicting information first it was one cottage that was the problem then it was 4 out of the 5 cottages that were a mess. I also feel I should mention the fact that our group rents the whole resort just in case any other cottagers should find us too loud (which is a lot of money even in low season!)Upon checkout this year my friend made sure Pat went to her cottage to see for himself and he raved about how tidy it was and she told him that's how it's left every year and Pat told us we were no longer welcome there! I can't believe what a complete lack of business sense and people skills this man has and the level of disrespect we were treated with on top of the unfounded accusations! We are all disgusted and more than happy to spend our money somewhere else from now on! By the way Pat if your reading this we couldn't help but notice a pair of mud covered snowshoes hanging at the Maples when we checked in this year we hope the guests who rented before us received the same level of treatment we did! Why go to Blue Moon when you can do laundry at home? Adios!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
9  Thank RMocon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Purdy
Sword Motor Inn
Mountain View Motel
Mountain View Motel
#3 of 3 in Barry's Bay
Fortune's Madawaska Valley Inn

Been to Blue Moon Retreat? Share your experiences!