“GOOD”

Ranked #6 of 74 Restaurants in Port Hope
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Haven't been for a while and went last night the food was good and ample portions. The service was friendly and I would definitely go back. Suggestion that it is better to have reservations!

Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We went for our anniversary dinner. We signed up years ago and get a discount card of 50% off. I had the best mahi and we travel to the Florida keys frequently. It was a thick piece, in a nice orange lime glaze. Both meals were very hot when served. The restaurant has two sections, a quick takeout-fast food area and a finer dining area Both provide fresh fast food frequently come here and haven't been disappointed. They do a lot of large groups so it can get a bit loud.
My birthday is in December so I look forward to my next discount card

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Five Red Hat women from as far away as Lakefield had reservations to gather for lunch today. We were seated in a lovely quiet corner with only one other (empty) table nearby. We go for lunch once a month to visit and catch up on our news.
The food was good, but before we could get dessert and coffee and settle in for a visit, the staff made the decision to put two young women with two screaming toddlers at the other table in the corner right next to us, thus robbing us of any chance to continue our visit or enjoy our dessert and coffee. It was severe enough we had no choice but to cancel dessert and leave.
I know that in my day, out of respect for others, we taught our toddlers how to behave in public before we took them out, and I understand this is no longer the case. But for a semi-upscale establishment, who had lots of other tables available, to make that seating error is quite unacceptable. Had the restaurant been full, I could have understood, but there was ample room off in other corners of the room for the little ones, or downstairs in the other section. Businesses know or should know to be aware of who your clientelle are.
After travelling in from five different places, we were very disappointed to have our visit ruined. We will not be back.

1  Thank Bizzian
Reviewed September 4, 2013

is their a new chef, new ownership............ very disappointed. always was my favourite restaurant in Port Hope but will have to look for another.

1  Thank jeanandbillgardner
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our party of 6 ordered three steak dishes and three other entrees. Two of the steak dishes were supposedly filets and ordered medium-rare. What we got was very chewy and at best, cooked medium, if not medium well.
My wife wasted no time summoning the waitress who was very apologetic and immediately offered to cook a new steak for both of us. The second time around was very good and to the waitress' credit, she waited until we had taken our first bite to ensure our satisfaction.
That was the worst we could say about the Railside. Overall, a variety of appetizers all were served hot and tasted good. Others in our party raved about the spare-ribs; I think I'll order those next time because they did look good.
Nice selection of local craft ales and pretty good (and affordable) wine list to accompany the meal.
Finally, the desserts were large and definitely share-able. I think something called the Tiger Cake was a big hit, so big that some of it came home!
All in all, a nice place for a family or place to celebrate and event. A little more care in the kitchen to complement the service and this place would be one of the top 5 restaurants in the Cobourg/Port Hope area.

1  Thank Trainmodeller