“I did not find the owner professional....”

Plantation House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 10 Port Hope B&B and Inns
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
“I did not find the owner professional....”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I generally try to leave only positive reviews online and speak to directly to an owner about any challenges I had with their establishment. I purchased a coupon online. Due to a death in the family and an unexpected move to a different city I was unable to use the coupon during the specified time. I contacted Rose immediately and was initially pleasantly surprised with her response to not worry about the timeline due to my extenuating circumstances. I had kept in touch with Rose and finally it came time for me to get the much needed respite.

When attempting to book my get away via the phone I found Rose exceptionally rude with absolutely no leeway in terms of dates although I was willing to go just about any day or time so that I could relax. I reminded her of our previous emails whereby she had (graciously) agreed to honour on the coupon to no avail.

Long story short. The reception I received during these communications was so hostile that I chose to not redeem my coupon and took the financial loss. It really seemed counter productive to escape the insanity of the world only to receive a less than friendly reception.

Lesson learned for me. I do however wish the Plantation House the best in the future however I would definitely say that Plantation House was a 'buyer beware' experience for me as what you receive in emails and during discussions on the phone can be 2 different things.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Alana R
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
I am sorry that Plantation House did not meet all your requirements and that you will never experience our warm and friendly Bed & Breakfast

Best Wishes
Rose Meghie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked through Wagjag The Plantation House for 1 night. It was worth more than what I paid.
Rose, the owner, is delightful and knows her business. We had a beautiful room, wonderful bed , and you felt you had stepped back in time. We had a 4 poster bed which was very comfortable and our
own private bathroom which was ultra modern. Our breakfast was delicious, starting with homemade fruit scones, fresh fruit and yogurt followed by a mini quiche and a touch of salad and served in a bright cherry room surrounded by beautiful trees. Delicious! Oh yes, we were also served a wonderful carrot cake dessert and tea the night we arrived. I would certainly recommend The Plantation House to anyone travelling in the Port Hope area. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: We were on the main floor and it was very quiet and relaxing and we could walk out to a beautiful ve...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in late August. Spacious room with a very comfortable king sleigh bed made with high quality linens and several pillows of various densities. Nice to be able to select one's preference. Wonderful towels which were changed daily in the ensuite. Great rain head shower.
Crabtree and Evelyn products supplied. Both rooms were spotless as were the common rooms. Breakfast was tasty and beautifully presented. We lingered long after breakfast visiting with another couple who were staying there. Rose was happy to accommodate us and kept pouring the coffee. A very enjoyable stay and Rose is a genuinely gracious hostess.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful detailed review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and all the little luxuries that we offer our guests.

We say make yourself comfortable in our home and we meant it!

Please come again
Ontario
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited Port Hope in Aug. & had a lovely stay at Plantation House. The room was spacious & had a full bathroom. We had packed some of our own food & Rose has a refrigerator which we could use. We had a lovely lunch on her private deck surrounded by trees. Each night she served a delicious dessert & breakfast was also gourmet. We felt very pampered & relaxed. Port Hope has a very interesting historic section & our bike ride to Newcastle & back was very scenic. I would highly recommend this lovely 1830 historic house.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper room which has an ensuite bathroom. I understand that other rooms have a shared ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and please come again.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I travel a lot, all over Canada and the world, and for many reasons (work, play, relaxation, romance, fitness, adventure). Over the years, I've stayed in 5-star hotels and the quaintest gites in the south of France, but my favourite thing to do is to find the perfect comparable B&B. After staying at Plantation House B&B, I believe I've found it. This beautiful century home tucked away in a picture-perfect garden in the town of Port Hope, ON is a must for lone travellers, couples, or groups. Go, just, go. Your mind, body, and soul will thank you a thousand times over. Rose's good taste and attention to detail, enthusiasm for Port Hope (it IS a fantastic little town!), and welcoming nature made for the best sleep and, overall, the best stay I have ever had in a B&B. I'll definitely be back next year and in years to come!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Girls visited Rose last weekend, and we felt right at home straight away. We've been going to Plantation House for years now - 7? 8? - and have always been thoroughly spoiled whilst there. This was our first trip to her new Port Hope spot, and man, it was a wonderful experience. There's warmth and charm and comfort and easy good feelings. The added benefit of being able to walk into town is great, no driving required once you're arrived....Port Hope is a charming spot, well worth the visit. Thanks Rosie :)

Room Tip: One bedroom on main floor and others upstairs....but other than for reasons of mobility, all beds ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'll start with the positive :)
The place looks exactly as advertised, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean.
Now to the cons:

1. Advertised early check in from 2 pm became 4 pm and that's after finding it really hard to find an available date (at least month in advance), Phone number provide is never reachable, it's only e-mail communication.

2. Washroom facilities (although extremely nicely organized) are in not accessible from you room, and you might meet people on your way. (it's not a huge problem, but if known in advance I'd probably avoid it)

3. This one has really killed it for me. Three-Course Gourmet Breakfast for Two. These are the exact words in the ad. Breakfast included: a small tart from local bakery on a very large plate alongside few leafs of salad, glass of orange juice, coffee, large cup with few small pieces of fruit (really small). If you count by pieces I guess it's three-course. On other hand it would not be enough for my four years old. (And I'm not a big guy or eater).

Room Tip: The one on the first floor has no adjacent washroom.
6 Thank Mark L
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank-you for staying at Plantation House Bed & Breakfast. We offer a variety of suites with private bathroom or ensuite. Guests are provided with Frette robes and slippers for comfort in-house. For breakfast we serve a seasonal offering of fruits, quiches, fresh baked breads, pastries, yogurt, salad and juices. I apologize for our inability to accommodate your visitors at the B&B as we must consider the comfort of other guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Hope
Budget Inn
#1 of 2 in Port Hope
Best Western Plus Bowmanville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville

Been to Plantation House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!