“Cared for by Dave”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Hope
Hotel Carlyle & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 10 Port Hope B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Cared for by Dave”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

On our way from Niagara Falls to Iroquois in Canada we stopped at the lovely historic town of Port Hope. All the motels were out on the highway so we stopped to locals and asked them where we could stay in the town. He led us to the Carlyle Inn B & B and recommended we have dinner in the restaurant or bistro. This was great advice. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, the rate very reasonable and our host Dave and his staff fed us with a delicious meal in the restaurant and a hot breakfast in the morning, (Dave makes a great cheese omelette).

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My dad and I were traveling from Montreal to Chicago with my family, and along the way we stopped in Port Hope Michigan for lunch at the Dreamers cafe. My dad and I liked it so much that we decided to stay the night, so we were wandering around looking for a place to stay and we found this beautiful Inn and asked the man out front if there was vacancy and fortunately for us there was. Dave the owner of the place helped us make train and plane reservations to get back to Chicago along with scheduling massages for us both with his amazing daughter Martha at Kinetic care down the street. The food was delicious and the service was very friendly and accommodating. The room was beautifully decorated with beds that you could melt into. I truly enjoyed my stay at the Carlyle Inn in Port Hope and you will too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina G
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Carlyle Inn and Bistro over the August long weekend and stayed in a pleasant and spacious room on the first floor. The Carlyle Inn is an historic and well-maintained building that formerly housed a bank, and possesses plenty of character. The managers were helpful and the bistro patio was a nice place to enjoy an evening cocktail. From the hotel, the quaint main street is just a two minute walk away. It's a great option when visiting Port Hope.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimmycomms
Toronto
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We've eaten at the Carlyle Bistro a few times this past year and we have always enjoyed the food. Of all the restaurants in Port Hope, I would say the food ranks at the top! All meals have been superbly prepared and for its price point, even better! Kudos to the chef and kitchen staff. The location is slightly off the beaten path but the building's unique structure is prominent enough to easily locate it on John St. The decor inside is 'interesting'; while I understand its Casablanca theme, some colour combinations make it a bit too 80's. That being said, it has wonderful ambience. Service is generally great, however, during my recent visit (which was business in nature for lunch on July 19), the server seemed a bit lukewarm. Although I understand she was busy, her 'prima donna' attitude is really why I can't bring myself to give the bistro an excellent rating. All the other servers and especially the proprietor himself are genuinely friendly and very efficient. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stouffville
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Enjoyed our stay as part of a theatre package (Capitol Theatre, 2 blocks away). The room was quiet, well furnished and spacious. Gourmet dinner with lots of choices,- waitress/bar tender produced excellent Bloody Caesars,- great and fast service. Breakfast was delicious, again several tempting choices,- we enjoyed a cheese omelette with all the trimmings.

Room Tip: rooms on main floor, nice and quiet, avoid stairs for taking up your luggage. Excellent gourmet rest...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sig K
Toronto
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just Ok. Local friends took us here for dinner and they were underwhelmed as well. Good grilled pita and hummus complimentary appetizer, but the prime rib was very fatty vs. marbled and lukewarm.  Ample portions , moderate price. Moroccan Casablanca inspired decor mostly works, although a bit odd for a historic property. Best part of the restaurant is eating in the private bank vault - a cozy option for a small group. We had thought we would go elsewhere for dessert but ended up returning for cappuccino in the bar - Unfortunately also lukewarm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cobourg, Ontario
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This place looks great and the main dining room is gorgeous but we sat on the "neon patio". We were quite a large group (18) but they had a good two weeks notice that we were coming. The service was very slow, drinks did not arrive at all. I ordered a main course salad and, I kid you not, I got four lettuce leaves and a few apple slices with healthy drizzle of dressing and a bit of blue cheese. No sign of the candied pecans that the menu promised. It cost me $9 and I had five bites before it was gone! One of the other guests salad was even smaller than mine and still others ordered the caesar salad that looked like a disaster! I paid $2.50 for club soda with NO REFILLS! There are many good restaurants in Port Hope and this place really does need to try harder. A beautiful old bank building deserves better!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank elainelily
Dave H, Owner at Hotel Carlyle & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Naturally it's distressing when one recieves a review like this one. Drinks were offered as soon as the guests arrived by me personally.They were also delivered by me. Yes the reservation was made 2 weeks ago and I felt that we had adaquqte staff on to handle the service.I felt that the food arrived in an appropriate time.We don't charge for extra soda water { 2.00}This customer only complained to the server when it came time to pay the bill and because I had been there since 4:00AM I had left, 8:15 PM.and so it was not brought to my attention.If this customer would like to come back with her bill I will reimburse her for any items she feels she did not get value for.We have been serving the caesar salad in the same manner for the past year and a half and have received many compliments on it. I have spoken to other people who attended this event and with only one exception they said they were very happy with the food and the service.Once again let me say that if this woman contacts me I will all I can do to make her happy.
Thanks
Budget Inn
#1 of 2 in Port Hope
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville
Plantation House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hotel Carlyle & Restaurant? Share your experiences!