“Best Wimpy's Diner experience we have ever had!”
Review of Wimpy's Diner

Wimpy's Diner
Ranked #38 of 67 Restaurants in Port Hope
Cuisines: Canadian
“Best Wimpy's Diner experience we have ever had!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This Wimpy's is the bomb! We came in to a restaurant that was almost full, and expected to wait a while for our meals. The serving staff was fantastic, and we didn't have to wait as long as expected for our meals. I think our waitress's name was Michelle, but regardless she was fantastic! The atmosphere in the restaurant was great; all of the other patrons seemed to be having a great time shared with great people all eating great food, and the same went for us! It was amazing to see the cooks in the back having a blast (the girl in the pink hat and a tall guy in a red hat) dancing and singing, but still managing to produce quality meals in a timely fashion! We are from Montreal, and we will definitely make it a point of stopping in when we pass through again! Thank you for the great experience, and everyone keep up the great work!

Newtonville
“Not impressed”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went in wanting classic diner fare. Meal was disappointing. Overpriced for what we got. It was also freezing in the restaurant. The place was empty. Not the best location either. Have been to several other Wimpy's that I enjoyed much more.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank dlouden123
“Don't understand this rude reviews”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place was very clean for a diner ! It's not a fancy place it 50 and 60 themed! Staff were very polite and extremely funny ! Don't know what all these other ppl except from a all day breakfast place ! My wife had breakfast which looked amazing and u had a burger the size of my head it seemed ! Great job guys ! The owner even came to our table and thank us for our business !!!

Port Hope, Canada
“Takes a While, But Food is Good”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've been going to this Wimpy's Diner for years and it's been plague by slow service since it opened. There have been many complaints over the years to the point that there are notices posted on the walls advising customers that it is not a fast food restaurant. The notice said that food is prepared fresh and takes longer than say MacDonalds. While that statement is accurate, it still shouldn't take as long as it does.

The exterior is nothing to look at where the restaurant is located in a strip plaza. When you step inside you'll find a 50's style diner with plenty of pictures and posters from that era. The interior is a little rough around the edges and the men's washroom is usually very dirty. I would imagine the women's isn't much better.

I usually meet people for breakfast at this location, but occasionally I'll attend for lunch. I've never tried the dinners. The breakfasts are really good and reasonably priced. The waitress was relatively quick to take our orders on the last couple visits and the wait time for the meal wasn't as long as it used to be. It is however still a bit of a wait. It does appear however that the staff has made efforts to reduce the time spent waiting for service or your meal. Drink re-fills are on par with other full service restaurants. The wait staff are also friendly and cheerful. One thing that I would prefer not to see is the cook and waitress stepping out onto the sidewalk for a smoke. When rating the service I went one higher than I wanted too because the wait staff do put some effort into serving customers.

If you're not in a hurry this Wimpy's location does offer decent food at a reasonable price.

• Visited November 2012
Port Hope
“WE WALKED OUT!!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Last night (September 16, 2012) my parents and I were looking for a quick and yummy dinner, but a little more than just a fast food joint. We had been to the Wimpy's in Port Hope once before and had no problems with the food or service, so thought it would be a good choice to go there again....boy were we wrong!!!

When we arrived at 5:50pm, we sat ourselves and waited approx 10mins for the waitress to acknowledge us and come over with menus. We noticed she was the only waitress working, so it was just her and the cook on staff at the time. The place wasn't extremely busy, 4 tables, half of them already with their food, so we weren't sure why she was taking so long. When she delivered the menus, she said she would be "right back" to take our drink orders, but that really turned into another 10mins. By that time we were ready to order our meals, so we placed the order and continued to wait as normal. It took another 10mins for our drinks to come (and no I'm not exaggerating with all my timing!). We could see she seemed busy with cleaning tables and serving other customers, but then as time went on we really were beginning to wonder if our food was ever going to come. After about an hour she finally came and asked us if we wanted our drinks refilled, which of course we did because it had been so long we had actually finished our first round. I've never experienced that at a restaurant before where I'm finished sipping my first drink before the food even comes! We politely asked her at that time if it was going to be much longer, explaining that it had already been an hour (to which she replied "oh has it?") she said she would check with the cook and also see if she could take some money of our bill for the long wait (she offered that, we didn't ask for money off...yet). We watched her go and make a phone call, assuming it was to the manager or owner, therefore figuring we would see some sort of discount on our bill at the end. She came back a few mins later and said it would be another 10 more mins. By this time we had been there 1 hour and 20mins (we arrived at 5:50 and it was now 7:10). We were trying to be as polite and patient as possible, but then were completely appauled when we noticed a guy who had come in to place a large take-out order about 20mins prior, then walk out with his order! (it looked to be 4 or 5 large containers) Then to top it all off and be the "straw that broke the camel's back", a few mins later we saw her bringing out a plate of what looked to be one of our 3 dinners, but she walked right past us and went to the table a few feet away from us to give it to a guy who had literally only been there 10mins total!!! I was blown away and said to her myself "oh come on, how is that possible, he's only been here 10mins and how is he getting served first?!" She replied "sorry I thought it was one of yours, I'll check with the cook when yours is coming". My dad got up and said loud enough so as to make sure the whole restaurant heard us "no, this isn't right, we've been here for at least an hour and 25mins and we just watched a guy get his take out order after 20mins and this guy get his order after 10mins, we're leaving and not even paying for our drinks, this is ridiculous!" We then all proceeded to walk out. I felt a little bad about the situation and said sorry to the waitress, but she had no reply other than to say sorry as well, and she didn't know what else to do.

Now let me tell you, we have NEVER done anything like this before. We aren't the type of people to normally complain at restaurants, but this was unbelievable. I mean, it would have been bad enough if the other guy getting take-out was still waiting and the guy that had been there 10mins was waiting too, but to see them get theirs and have no explanation from the waitress, that was just completely inexcusable!!! I didn't like the feeling of walking out because I really don't like wasting food, but I have a very strong feeling that our meals hadn't even been started yet! By the way, all we ordered was 2 chicken wraps and a club sandwich with fries and onion rings on the side. Is it really that much to ask for to get our orders of a fairly simple meal, which all ingredients should be readily available to prepare in a timely manner, considering the style of restaurant. I mean it's not like we were at some fancy place like the Keg and ordering some big extravagant meals! It's a small diner...and I thought small diners like that would be eagre to keep their customers happy because in a small town like Port Hope, word travels fast and I will be telling all my friends and family that live there to NOT go to Wimpy's! It's a shame really, because I know they have good food, it's just that there level of service was extremely poor.

So anyway, I know this was quite long-winded, but I really had to let others know about this place....if you do decide to venture in there, maybe pack a lunch because you're going to be there for a while!

• Visited September 2012