“Going Down Hill”

Lord Elgin Fish & Chips
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Port Elgin
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Lord Elgin Fish & Chips is a family owned business that opened in Port Elgin in 1980. In March 2013 we were voted as 2nd best fish & chips in Canada, by Canadian Living Magazine. We specialize in hand cut halibut and fresh cut fries, or all you can eat haddock Mondays and Tuesdays.
Kincardine, Canada
“Going Down Hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

I was there for dinner recently and was very disappointed to discover they are no longer offering the New Zealand Redfish. My husband and I have been going there for 10 years about 4-5 times a year, but this was the first time in many months for us. I noticed the menu had been revised and saw it now offers many pre-packaged frozen quick fry meal options. This restaurant was our top pick for fish and chips but we will not go back again. The portions seemed small for the price.

The service was terrible; our server went on her break after serving us our food and told us someone would come and check on us. No one ever came back.

As far as I'm concerned this place has gone downhill and it's a shame. Perhaps the owner needs to refer back to the way his parents operated this business. Once you start replacing your menu with fish sticks and chicken nuggets, it's a slippery slope as far as I'm concerned.

8 Thank Pishaq
LordElgin F, Owner at Lord Elgin Fish & Chips, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
I regret you didn't enjoy your last experience at our restaurant. I will go point by point in response to your review. I bought this business from my parents in 1998(15 years ago) after growing up in the business and managing it from 1994 to 1998. The only menu item that I added since taking over the business are baked potatoes. We have always had chicken nugget, chicken fingers, etc. There are people who don't like fish so we offer these items as an alternative. We did change the layout our menu this year so perhaps these items now stand out a little more.
In response to no longer offering the New Zealand Redfish, the reason for that is over the past couple of years the fillets had been getting thinner and thinner to the point they were too thin and it was compromising the quality of our product. I searched for other suppliers but could not find any that was high enough quality, therefore I was forced to remove it from our menu.
The fact you normally ordered the New Zealand Redfish it make sense you felt the price of halibut was expensive compared to what you were used to. The cost of halibut is 3 times the cost of the New Zealand Redfish for us to buy. A good replacement for the Redfish is our cod, it is a more affordable option than halibut.
As far as the service I will look into why this happened. The servers that work all day need to take a lunch break, but their customers are to be looked after by one of the other servers during their break. Obviously we failed that day and I am sorry that happened.
I continue to run this restaurant as it has been run since we opened in 1980, after all the old saying is "Don't fix what isn't broken"!

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
“Fishtastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

#1 in Fish & Chips category ~ sure to delight any fish lovers tastebuds! Friends and family have enjoyed this eatery for years now and will continue to for many more! Filling and Fabulous!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Meratings
Paris
“Excellent Quality Fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

It is sometimes difficult to find fish and chips that are cooked properly but not the case at The Lord Elgin. The halibut and cod as well as the chips were prepared to perfection. The fish was very flaky and the batter light. Our friendly server told us that the owner has his own recipe for the batter and he is the only one who is allowed to mix it. Even the coleslaw was very good. A definite place to try when travelling Lake Huron.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank RockhoundParis
Port Elgin, Canada
“World class fish and chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

This restaurant received an award as the third best fish and chips in Canada. The live up to their reputation.

Kincardine
“Nothing fancy but the best fish and chips yet!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

After hearing that Lord Elgin was rated 2nd best fish and chips in Canada, I stopped for dinner here after a day in town.

There was a lineup to get a table and we ended up waiting, eagerly I might add, for about 15 minutes. Once seated our waitress attended to us in a courteous fashion. I settled on French Onion soup while my date ordered cheese garlic bread to start off. Both were good, but nothing special- except the generous amount of cheese on the soup! Definitely a plus!

Then came our fish and chips! We both had cod, mine was a dinner with a simple coleslaw and a dinner roll. The fish was incredible. Perfectly done with a light and crispy batter- it lived up to it's rating and my expectation.

The Lord Elgin is a gem of a spot to have fish and chips and the best I've ever had. Nothing fancy on the menu and the décor is outdated marine themed but don't let that stop you from coming to The Lord Elgin!