“Affordable Great Fish and Chips” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lord Elgin Fish & Chips

Lord Elgin Fish & Chips
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Port Elgin
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Lord Elgin Fish & Chips is a family owned business that opened in Port Elgin in 1980. In March 2013 we were voted as 2nd best fish & chips in Canada, by Canadian Living Magazine. We specialize in hand cut halibut and fresh cut fries, or all you can eat haddock Mondays and Tuesdays.
Fergus Ontario Canada
“Affordable Great Fish and Chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had the opportunity to visit for lunch today Saturday Feb 16 2013. It was about 1145 and we were greated and seated very quickly. Our waitress Patti was very pleasant and although we had to ask was very informative about specials and soup of the day.

The special today was Fish Fingers, fresh cut fries and cole slaw. Patti advised it was like a half portion and we both ordered and enjoyed it. I added the French Onion soup and my friend had the soup of the day which was called a loaded baked potato soup. He felt it was very tasty.... potato soup garnished with bacon and cheese. My onion soup was good but a bit salty.

I was so happy to find a restaurant that I actually like for a change that I could not wait to write my review! Thank you Lord Elgin and Patti!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MickFergus

Southampton, Canada
“Lord Elgin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The food is good at Lord Elgin Fish and Chips and it is an affordable place to eat. I especially like their "all you can eat fish and chips" night. The fish is fresh and delicious! I gave the restaurant and average rating because it is so noisy there, you can barely hear your friends speak. The waitresses seem too busy to be attentive. I was there this week and once the first person said she only wanted water, it was assumed that was fine with everyone! I had to call after her that I would like a soft drink. I also ordered the meal with coleslaw, but received exactly what the other two women ordered. There was no conversation or time to ask where the rest of my dinner was as the plates were unceremoniously plopped in front of us and the waitress was at another table before they landed!

Visited February 2013
LordElgin F, Owner at Lord Elgin Fish & Chips, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear you enjoy our food. I train the waitresses to be fast and efficient, but when at a table taking orders or delivering the food , they are to slow down so the guests don't feel rushed or feel there is no time to communicate with the server. I have reminded the servers at our last meeting about this problem.
As far as being loud, you are right. When it is busy it gets loud in here and I have been looking for ways to quiet the dining room, but the products I have found cannot be steamed cleaned and that is a must, so we can keep it as clean as the rest of our restaurant. I am still looking for other products.

Mike
Ontario, Canada
“During a Power Outage”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is about the only place that's open during a power outage because they have a back up generator. However, we were in town and decided to go anyways. I was on crutches with a leg brace after having surgery, but when we arrived I still had to stand around a while before getting a table (they didn't offer me a chair or anything at least) since it was very busy. Then when we did get a table, we ended up waiting around about 15 minutes before someone came to even ask us what we wanted to drink. Once we finally did order, we had to wait around half an hour before getting our food. The people who got a table after us were done eating before we even got our food! The food was good, and I have to admit it was our own fault for coming when we knew it would be busy... but still, I didn't have the best experience.

LordElgin F, Owner at Lord Elgin Fish & Chips, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
I am sorry your experience here during the power outage was not positive. Our Staff is trained to offer a chair to people who need one while they are waiting for a table and I am surprised this wasn't offered to you, I have addressed this with our staff. Unfortunately during power outages we get very busy and do our best to call in as much extra staff as possible. Our takeout during power outages account for a large percent of our sales, so for every table filled in the restaurant you can expect the kitchen is cooking three times the orders for takeout. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and assure you our service on a normal day is very quick. Thank you, Mike
Ontario
“Best Fish n Chips in Ontario”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

The food is the best! The service was great! It's our own favourite restaurant. The take out service is also excellent.

Visited September 2012
Mississauga, Canada
“Best Fish & Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Yummy, One the best fish & chip place I've ever been too.. I look foreword to my trips to Port Elgin & visit a couple of the Great restaurant in this town .
But NOT "The Blind Badger " the service is not great there .

Lord Elgin Fish and Chips , Good service & Good food