“lunch yes... evening no.”

The Woodpecker Fresh Dining and Lounge
Ranked #7 of 48 Restaurants in Port Elgin
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Refined yet relaxed dining. Premium beers and wine. Starbuck's coffees and Tazo teas. Everything made on the premises. Two different menus. For lunch, enjoy specialty sandwiches or "build your own". Wonderful soups and desserts as well. For dinner, you will find sharing platters, delicious appetizers, and main courses such as fresh steaks, pastas, lobster tails and gourmet crocks. Outdoor patio (seasonal) and wonderful decor will complete your experience. Come for a fabulous meal or just to enjoy our beverages.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I highly recommend going to the pecker for lunch, the food was delicious and the service was okay. The girls who work where beautiful but not much beyond that. I was intending on going to the lounge but I was informed that it was not worth it. The chairs and (coffee) tables made it very hard to eat. That was not the worst part, I was advised about the owner who works at night and that he was very undesirable. He has cut off many respectable people in the community. These people where not lushes in my opinion. All in all a great place to have lunch but a poor place to enjoy an evening.

6  Thank ArmJ33

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Whether you want a delicious bistro sandwich or a platter to split in the lounge this place has it all, large wine selection in the lounge with very friendly and knowledgeable servers, would recommend this to friends family and couples

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Myself and my wife went to this establishment one evening. The wait staff were very pleasant however the owners had a bad attitude. After my wife and I had a half L of wine and some food we both ordered another glass each to which the owner had asked us to leave and informed us that this was not that type of establishment. We were very shocked and offended that they had said this to us, as we are both responsible adults and had definitely not had "to much". We will not be returning or recommend to others.

9  Thank Paul C
John C, Owner at The Woodpecker Fresh Dining and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

As owners who are working hard to ensure all of our customers enjoy their experience at The Woodpecker, we take every review very seriously. This one especially so because we believe it is a complete fabrication. We have been open for 1.5 months and remember every evening. I can categorically state that we have never refused service to anyone. We have, on two occasions, in accordance with the Ontario Liquor laws, slowed alcoholic service to individuals but on both occasions, it was to individuals within a larger group. Certainly not to a couple. Also, on both occasions, service did continue. Moreover, we do not even provide wine by the half litre therefore the reviewer is obviously mistaken. That said, I must also freely admit that if we ever do find ourselves in a situation where a customer is intoxicated, we will refuse service since it is the law and the right thing to do.

I regret this misunderstanding and can assure all readers that we will always work hard to make your visit to The Woodpecker enjoyable. We believe the other reviews have shown this to be the case so far but we are not resting on our initial success. We know that we can always improve and we will always consider everyone special.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Amazing soup. Great menu. Staff friendly. Oh ya did I mention Starbucks coffee and a I pad on every table. This place is different then the common pub food!! Highly recommend and will be going back to try everything on the menu!!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

New to Port Elgin dining scene, the Woodpecker is a cut above the other establishments in town. From it easy going and delicious lunch offerings, to the sophisticated ambiance of the lounge (open Thurs through Sat only) it presents an upscale option to relaxed in an atmosphere of fine cuisine and wine. Awesome experience and a must try.