“Can't wait to go back!”

Saffron
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Port Elgin
Cuisines: Indian, International
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ottawa
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

When visiting our son who lives here and raved about the great food we went recently for breakfast. Had the Greek Pancakes and hubby, the "Eggs Bollywood"- yumm! Everyone at our table cleaned their plates! Biggest problem was deciding what to order from their amazing eclectic mix of choices. Food was amazing, good prices and great service. Can't wait to make a return visit to try the lunch/dinner menu.

Visited June 2013

“good food that lacks a direction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

my family owns a farm here and I occasionally come up to the PE area to enjoy the scenery. I checked out tripadvisor for some new restaurants and have gotten sick of the burger and fries (like everyone else) and decided to try this place out with my dad when I saw they made good Thai food.
when we arrived the atmosphere was that of a pizzeria and had a very "hole in the wall" dining atmosphere. when we sat down we were greeted and told the specials by a lovely woman (jen). our waitress, ( I can't recall her name) was also insanely friendly as we joked and carried on. she recommended a few dishes and we ordered the peanut stew, green curry and pad Thai.
the peanut stew was good and had a good kick to it. it was slightly mushy with the sweet potato and could've used a lamb or goat to set it off. the rice that came along with all of our dishes was superb and was obviously cooked by someone with experience.
the pad Thai was mediocre at best, it was WAY to citrus-y and lacked a main component of pad Thai....tamarind.
the green curry was on par with what you can get at other places. not the best, but far from the worst as well.
in summation, this is a restaurant with HUGE potential that lacks a identity. they serve Thai, Indian, Mexican, American, greek and African and I feel they would be much better if they focused on their strengths.
until then, they will continue to have spread themselves too thin and a restaurant with all the potential and none of the commitment

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank ecobeeWill
Hanover
“Positive Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Had lunch here today. Restaurant is small, clean, and a little off beat in decor. It certainly isn't opulent but located in a strip mall and functional. It provides some variety to the types of food offered in the small town of Port Elgin, offering some "exotic" dishes.
Wait staff is friendly, bubbly, and quite attentive. The seemed genuinely interested in not only if everything was ok, but if you were truly enjoying the food.
It seems to appeal to the middle class, teenage to middle-aged female crowd, as I was the only male in the place outside of the kitchen.
Menu is somewhat limited (http://www.saffronportelgin.com/lunch-dinner), but I chose the butter chicken on the recommendation of the girls sitting at the next table and the waitress.
The rice in the meal was somewhat plain, but the butter chicken was quite good with generous amounts of chicken and a warm but not too hot sauce. The real bonus was the generous helping of fresh, warm naan bread.
Overall, the experience was positive and I will be back to try the pad thai next.

Port Elgin, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Heard rave reviews from nearly everyone in the community so decided to give it a shot. The interior is shabby at best and the food we ordered was really bad. One of my friends ordered the Thai green curry and it looked like grey slop with mouldy green beans and had rubbery chicken in it. I had the Mexican beef wrap and it was SO SALTY I couldn't even eat it. My other friends meals looked half decent but they didn't have much to say about them. I'm no where near a picky eater and it's rare I can't eat something at a restaurant. The server was wonderful, I hope they get this figured out.

2 Thank CarlyG-PE
Ontario
“It's about time! Great food in Port Elgin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

It is so nice to finally have a great restaurant in Port Elgin, serving a wide variety of healthy, tasty, diverse food. I've been here several times and have never had a bad meal. The chick pea doubles, the Mexican beef wrap, all dishes are great. They always have interesting specials as well.

It will be great when they open the patio in the summer. Love it and wish them great continued success.

1 Thank mortyatport