“great campsites and clean comfort stations”

Macgregor Point Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Port Elgin
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a very pleasurable time there at Macgregor Point. This is our first time there, a beautiful park, one of the best parks I have ever been to. They have the cleanest comfort stations and the campgrounds are nice and clean. The only down side is that both of the so-called dog exercise areas are actually not suitable for pooches to run, swim and play there as they are very rocky, they look like some abandoned areas with no maintenance at all, very disappointed!

while this park is known for having unwanted fearless wild visitors at the campsites, we were lucky enough that we didn't see any. I guess it's because we dumped our garbage to the appropriate disposal before it gets dark, not to drop any food on the ground or leave on the tables and locking everything up in the trunk.

2  Thank Jo W

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just returned from 5 glorious days at MacGregor Point. This was our first trip to MacGregor and let me say I could not have been happier. Our family loves Lake Huron and exploring so this was a perfect match. The coast of Lake Huron along the park is pristine and blue, blue, blue! The bike trails and hiking trails made for perfect outings everyday. It is true that you need to jump on your bikes and exit the park to experience a sandy beach but this made for a perfect afternoon of relaxation after discovering the many natural wonders of the park. Gobles Grove (about a 22 minute ride from Foxway camp ground). The other closer beach we discovered was just outside the park- 15 minutes, and we were told it was called Belcher's Reef. Lovely and private. A great find. Park staff wonderful! Thank you guys for the boost of my truck the day we were leaving. I couldn't believe I let that happen but you made me feel like it was no big deal and responded quickly and graciously. Can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Paulinemary42
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a wonderful time camping at this park! The sites are beautifully wooded, large and private. The washroom facility was very clean, and had ample flush toilets, sinks, showers and a laundry room! The beach was well groomed, and the water was a little murky at the shore, but them was clean and refreshing! We enjoyed walking on the Olde Shore Hiking Trail out to Sunset Point at sunset, which was absolutely amazing! The next morning, we hiked the Tower trail along the marshlands, and we saw many interesting birds, butterflies, and a beaver! The staff in the park was very friendly, and informative. The only drawback was that on our particular site (108), the electrical hookup was very far away, so you require an extra long or 2 long extension cords. The washrooms were very convenient, just a short walk away!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went to Macgregor for the first time this year and our family thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We have camped many places, but this one by far had the best activities and staff for children! Our boys are 4 and 6, and there were so many things for them to do; from bike riding, to campfire, to going to the visitor centre daily, the great interactive staff, hiking.... It was wonderful. The campground itself is good. There are some nice sites, although smaller than other places. Their beach is tiny too, but great again for young children because it is sandy and not very deep and it has a playground for the kids to play on too. Overall a great trip and highly recommended for families.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've camped in many parks, but I was not happy with McGregor. The beaches were terrible - most of them rocky. The main beach was the only sandy beach, and it was small, shallow, we had to wade through about three feet of slime at the shore, and dogs were not allowed. The campsite was a disappointment too: not much shade, the flies bit like I'd never experienced before, and I'm pretty sure my wife and I got poison ivy there. If you like cycling, this park may be for you, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

2  Thank Paul V