“disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The meals we ordered here were very nice, but the service was extremely slow and the prices were high ($23.00 for a pasta dish, $32.00 for the lamb shank dinner special). We had a 6:30 reservation. Two of us ordered salads. Our main courses arrived around 8:00. This meant that the person who did not order an appetizer waited close to an hour and a half for dinner. We then ordered dessert, and waited again. By this time, one of the dessert specials was gone, so we had two choices. Apparently there was a large group of patrons in the back room--but the restaurant might have anticipated problems and hired additional kitchen help. They could have given us a break on the bill or at least provided extra bread to keep us occupied. Our bill for three people was over $150.00 including tax and tip (no wine but two cocktails).

2  Thank liveandbreathe

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is our first visit since the new owners took over and we will definitely be back. Tuesdays and Wednesdays have excellent wine, beer, soups and pizza for a great price and all were first class.
Wonderful meal and the service and friendly staff could not have been nicer. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was my third time there since the new ownership and for the third time, I came out of there completely happy with our dining experience. This restaurant has generally been full over the summer, so we made reservations. The service was perfect: pleasant, smiling, not in a rush, relaxed. We took our time, ordering one course at a time. The wine selection is excellent - some amazing Italian wines that I haven't seen at the LCBO. Our favorite dish (blew our tastebuds!) was the arugula, prosciutto, caramelized onion etc pizza (three of us shared it between appetizers and main course). The crème brûlée is the best I've ever had - EVER! Halibut, pork chops, pork ribs, scallops, shrimp, pasta... everything I've tasted this summer has been fantastic. This is now our favorite restaurant in the area & we're looking forward to going again.

1  Thank BibiOntario
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went on a Thursday evening for a birthday dinner. Having no reservations, we were looked at a bit strangely...then we were taken to the very back of the restaurant to a dimly lit table for two and away from everything. We felt a bit like we were being hidden from the rest of the patrons. Probably not though, but it certainly felt that way.
We waited about ten minutes for our server to ask if we'd like a drink.

For a starter we ordered the grilled scallops with ricotta gnocchi served on a bed of tomato sauce. The scallops were delicious, perfectly seared and cooked to perfection. The tomato sauce, flavoured with fava beans and shallot butter, complimented it well. Unfortunately, the gnocchi were quite bland, and when coated in the tomato sauce they just tasted mushy.
Why bother? The scallops were perfect on their own.

Our mains ordered were the special – beef tenderloin with rosemary mashed potatoes and grilled cherry tomatoes; and parpadella – rough ribbon noodles with roasted chicken, rapini and leeks.

While the beef tenderloin was very good, tender and lean, the plating of the dish – gravy, topped with beef, topped with mashed potatoes, topped with tomatoes (those were off to the side really), made for a soft and soggy dining experience. I longed for some texture…some crunch. I would suggest a serving of lightly steamed crisp vegetables as an accompaniment – omit the tomatoes.

My DC was a bit disappointed in his dinner as well. While the pasta was cooked al dente, and the sauce was quite tasty….a long time was spent looking for the chicken. At the most there were six pieces of chicken, each no more than a teaspoon size. Slivers really. Of course, pasta does fill you up. But at $22 for the entrée, I would expect more chicken!

After we had finished our entrees, we disappeared from the restaurant…..or at least we did to the servers. Two servers (one a busboy/waterboy I think) passed by our table; neither noticed that our plates were off to the side. A third time, my DC caught the attention of a server (not the one that had been serving us, we didn’t see her again), and we asked for the cheque. At no time had anyone asked us if we were interested in seeing a dessert menu or if we’d like an after-dinner drink; both of which we would have considered had we been asked.

The cheque was never brought to our table. We paid at the bar. Reluctantly we did leave a tip, but it was the minimum.

Overall, for the cost, it was not worth it. The service was very slow. I realise we did not have a reservation, but it was a Thursday night - the restaurant was not busy and there were just the two of us. To be shoved to the back of the restaurant seemed unnecessary and rather inhospitable.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family recently ate at Rosina's and I must say that the new management is fantastic. Very customer-centric and focused on your evening of enjoyment. I had the steak, my wife had ribs, and my daughter had a pasta. All were excellent. Presentation, taste and service was superb, and the wine selections, both house and by the bottle, are very well chosen and plentiful. Can't say enough about the food though. I started with a delicious appetizer, followed by a caesar salad to die for, then main course of steak and a complimentary wine, and finished off with a lemon zest creme brûlée, expresso and scotch. Wow!

1  Thank Cam S