“Wonderful place to dine every time”
Review of Sherwood Inn

Sherwood Inn
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Port Carling
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Nestled among towering century-old pines at the very edge of Muskoka's sparkling Lake Joseph, Sherwood Inn is a retreat unlike any other. Among the most authentic Ontario Inns, each guestroom and cottage suite at the Sherwood Inn is decorated to reflect the traditional character of Muskoka, and is complete with every modern convenience you would expect from a Muskoka hotel. Many rooms feature cozy wood-burning fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs. Open year round, Sherwood Inn guests can enjoy abundant on-site activities as well many Port Carling Attractions. Visitors to our elegant Inn at Lake Joseph experience gracious hospitality, luxurious pampering, and absolute tranquility. Plan a relaxing getaway today and experience life at one of the most majestic Ontario Inns, the Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph in beautiful Muskoka, Ontario! Visit us once. Love us forever.
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Love the menu and the wine list. The food never disappoints and our guests are always delightfully surprised. The Chef is great here and the staff are eager to please, attentive and have great suggestions if you are unsure of what to pair with your meal from the wine list.

1  Thank Mountain Ash Fa... H

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Friendly people, good food and a great location.
This is a great place for a weekend or more and all year round.
The fire is going every day, 365 days a year in front of the main door, only steps away from the bar. Get drink sit at the fire and enjoy the moment.
Food is very good!
Rooms are great. Entire resort is a little outdated and management should spend some money to bring it up to par.

1  Thank Joerg W
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Impecable service every step of the way. From the moment we arrived at the Dock to the moment we took off the service was the best I have ever experienced. Thank you to the management, the bartender, the breakfast and dinner wait staff. The food was excellent, I recomend anything smoked as they have smoker on site, the salmon was awesome and the smoked chicken risottto is a must try if you love risotto. Thank You Sherwood Inn.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Sherwood Inn to play at Lake Joseph and had a nice relaxing time. They have a good little beach with boats. It would be nice if there was more dock space like Rocky Crest. We stayed in the Cedarwood rooms and they were decent.. nothing over the top but I hear some of the other rooms are pretty nice.

We had a nice waitress (the shorter brunette from the GTA) during brunch. She was very friendly and understanding. Amazing staff at the Sherwood!

I definitely recommend staying here if you want a quiet, relaxing vacation :)

Another positive note: you can see the sunset from the resort! Definitely try out the paddle boats and hiking trails around the area.

2  Thank Mich A
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We attended the Vintages Dining Room at Sherwood Inn for the first time, going as a family to celebrate an anniversary. If you've read any of my other family dining reviews, you will know that my family must eat gluten free (me being the exception). The initial contact was good. The gentleman who took the call was confident that my families dietary needs would be taken care of, and they were.

The resort has an historic presence on Lake Joseph, and is part of the Muskoka culture and tradition. Driving up to the main lodge you get a real sense of a bygone era, with the character and charm of an authentic resort property, up to and including the lit fire-pit outside the main doors.

The dining room itself is nice, cozy, and with a decent view of the outdoors. Unfortunately there was a large party on the deck having cocktails before dinner, so it was a little disruptive - however we were warned in advance of arriving - thank you. We were pleased when the group went in for dinner, quieting the noise and distraction. Sitting at our table and looking out the picture window, it think that maybe a bit more spring cleaning was needed, as the top windows were dirty and cluttered with cobwebs.

The service itself was very good, and the staff seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They were knowledgeable about the menu, and made some suggestions. Loving a good Caesar salad, I ordered the hearts of romaine with house-made dressing. The dressing was quite tasty, but the salad clearly had not been tossed properly in the kitchen as there were clumps of salad with thick dollops of dressing and plenty of loose lettuce that were completely dry. A bit of mixing on my own mostly solved the problem. The house-smoked bacon was a real nice treat. The rest of the table ordered the soup of the day, which they said was "fantastic".

For an entree I ordered the New Zealand Venison with Black Currant and Bourbon Glaze - medium rare. The meat was done nearly spot-on. The sauce however was not a "glaze"; it had literally been painted on the meat (see pic.). It was so thick it needed to be scraped off, leaving the meat stained, and completely overpowering the flavour of the venison – too bad. I was pleased to see the Sous Chef attend the table to ask how dinner was. When shown the meat and sauce, he did say he would “mention it to the kitchen for next time”. Other entrees at the table were the Morel-Merlot Stuffed Chicken and the Australian Rack of Lamb. Each of these meals looked and tasted exceptional, and my family was very pleased. The only nit was the vegetable accompaniment, 1 slice each of pepper, carrot and zucchini, topped with pea-shoots - not very substantial, but quite tasty.

I think the price is about right for a Muskoka resort with a great view, although some might find it slightly high. While overall I wasn't really blown away by my meal, my families’ comments about their dinners, and the attentive service, would find me returning for a second try - sauce on the side please.

As a footnote, when reading how much my family enjoyed their meal, some might ask why only a rating of 3 (average) and not a 4 (very good). I wish there were a half mark, but ultimately if I had dined alone, a 3 would be the best rating I could give.

2  Thank fairwaymob